Anyone been to Krakow?

maddog

We're off to Krakow for a few days in November. I've read some stuff on tinternet about stuff to do there, but wondered if anyone here has been.

We're staying within easy walking distance of the Old Town. Any 'must-do's'? Also, any advice about bars and restaurants we should visit? Any weird Polish drinks or food we should try? Any other advice?

Ta muchly.

If your up to it, Aushwitz is not far away from Krakow.

Yeah, we'll be definitely doing that. I visited Sachsenhausen concentration camp on a day trip whilst visiting Berlin a few years ago and found it very interesting and humbling.

As mentioned Aushwitz before horrible but somewhere you have to visit just to see what humans are capable of. Short(ish) bus journey from the centre.

Also visit here. They have a chapel and other rooms where every single thing is made from solidified salt. Really good tour.

http://www.krakow-poland.com/Tours/Wieliczka-Salt-Mine-Tour,ceg

Thirsty work though.

Auschwitz is a definate, it is about an hour and a half away. It is the scale that really hits you with it, a very solemn and sombre place.

Watch out for pickpockets. I have travelled to a lot of cities and I am usually on my guard but managed to be without phone and wallet after about 2 hours. Wavel Castle is good for a look round. Try the old ghetto for bars. It was where the Jewish population were incarcerated during the second world war. Now becoming trendy with some different drinking establishments. The football grounds are within walking distance and have recently undergone an upgrade for the Euros so worth a wander.

The large square is apparently one of the biggest in Europe. Polish women are very hot! Old town is quaint. Cherry rum is a speciality drink and you can get this after a meal. I had a potato cheese and onion dish which was fantastic, i can't remember what it was called but the majority of food is like this.

Enjoy!

I went in October. The strip clubs are ace, cocktails are pretty cheap everywhere (20 blokes and not a standard beer in sight, stag do rule) and ALL the women are stunning! And I mean all. It was like walking round in an episode of Hollyoaks.

Probably not much help but there you go. I enjoyed it.

I went in October. The strip clubs are ace, cocktails are pretty cheap everywhere (20 blokes and not a standard beer in sight, stag do rule) and ALL the women are stunning! And I mean all. It was like walking round in an episode of Hollyoaks.

Probably not much help but there you go. I enjoyed it.

Inferiority complex at the ready.... Thanks.

:wink: