In these great times, spare a thought..

Incredible piece. Must read for any fan. Brought a tear to my eye. This is what it's all about.

..and as I'm stopping overnight in Liverpool I'll in all likelihood go to that game.

A complete mess made by the council, Reynolds and an abject town. Seems we are only one short there, which for all his occasional ramblings makes me very grateful for Corney. For all his good intentions Singh (and he really was full of them) could never pull back a £20M current.

A shame, but start again with Darlington RA is the way forward and ditch the white elephant*.

*I have several friends who are Poolies who are less than happy. No rivals means less interest. They are on the Gateshead gravy train at the moment, which will falter since the NHS (rightly) pulled out of their new stadium.

What a fantastic piece, brilliantly written, very heartfelt. I have been to the white elephant that has become the millstone around their neck. On that day 3500 turned out to watch Darlo loose to Rochdale, leaving over 20000 empty seats. I honestly hope they can survive in some way shape or form

What a fantastic piece, brilliantly written, very heartfelt. I have been to the white elephant that has become the millstone around their neck. On that day 3500 turned out to watch Darlo loose to Rochdale, leaving over 20000 empty seats. I honestly hope they can survive in some way shape or form

I hope that footballs REAL supporters get behind "Darlo" in their hour of need.

Found this piece brilliantly written and very moving, I have a really good mate who is a Darlo fan and is forever banging on about all those glory days mentioned there and hatred of the Fishheads (Hartlepool).

Unfortunately I am going to put a bit of a dampener on it, so sorry. I think there are several themes in this thread and , in Darlo’s recent history that should ring bells for all fans of lower league clubs.

1. Big money man (Reynolds/Moore/Icelandic consortium/ 3 amigos) comes in and we all get giddy. Whoo let’s buy this player and that player and pay loads of money in wages, and who cares about the rest, we’ve got loadsamoney. The FA/Football League or whatever want to impose fit and proper persons test. Booooo, we don’t like that, it’s not fair, it might stop us being the next Blackburn or Wigan.

2. Loadsamoney man (see above) says we’re going to build a new stadium, whoooooo! 15000 capacity even though we only get 4500 now. What!? Only 15000 capacity, where’s your ambition man. Lets build it and they will come. All those local Man U, Newcastle, Boro etc fans they will come. 25000 at least we are a big club, we went to Wembley once (2x, 3x...)

3. Thing goes tits up. We only have 3 sides to our ground. All our best players have been sold (Armstrong, Hill, several Darlo players who I can’t remember) and only me and our dog come. Booooo! Not fair we have been let down by the man/men who promised us the promised land and we are Darlo/Oldham/Stockport and we deserve it.

4. Darlo (and many others since them inc Wrexham, Halifax and Chester) established league clubs drop a division or 2 but keep their hardcore support. They then rampage through the non league divisions increasing their support from local glory hunters and lording it over the non league plebs as they go.

My main point I suppose is that the likes of the clubs I have mentioned (including/especially us) are small time , small town clubs who really should function at a certain level but every so often get lucky and something happens. A lucky goal, dodgy pen, inspired signing (Stimpson/(Redfearn/Barrett , Ritchie, Holden)and all of a sudden we are playing above our station and even doing well. This is brilliant but the sad reality is that eventually we will return to our true level. The key for the supporter is to accept this and even enjoy it. Remember it is the hope that kills us. My favourite Latics’ game was the opening game of the season 2004/5ish? , lost 3-1 at home to an infinitely better Brighton side with a Latics team, the majority of whom I’d never seen and who would never play more than 10 games for us. The point was we were still in existence after the previous years shambles and I still had something to do on a Saturday afternoon. This has some resonance with the plight that Darlington find themselves in currently. However their opponents at the weekend also experienced something similar 30 or so years ago before they could tell their plight on the wonders of the internet. I wish them both well and hope they don’t begrudge us our day in the limelight tomorrow, after all they were there once and we may well , one day, be where they are now. Great respect to all the fans of clubs like theirs and ours who support their town team through thick and thin despite the lure of the great Satans just down /up the road. Come on you Latics/Quakers/ Bluebirds etc!