Tour De France

OK so it's that time again and the tour de France is already a week old and it's looking good for Britain.

Bradley Wiggins impressed me today didn't except him to be in the top 3 on the days stage. Sky looked very strong and BMC looked weaker than I expected. RadioShack/Nissan/Leopard looked poorer than I expected too, OK Schleck is probably still suffering from yesterday's crash but they should have had more people up there than they did.

Oh and I managed to get Chris Froome at 80/1 to win king of the mountains too; that's looking very very good value at the moment.

Wiggins certainly answered the challenge from Evans on the peak, and it can't have done a lot for Evans' morale when Froome steamed past him. Sky look immense and I can see the other lead riders hanging off their coattails on the harder stages

Wow. What can I say after that? 1' 43" faster than Evans, and Froome's on fire.

With a lead like that, it will be a miracle if Cuddles (Evans) can overturn that advantage. I expect he'll do his usual of sitting on wheels, then attacking on mountain tops. The only thing is, he hasn't got a great team to drag him through the mountains, he always seems to do it alone. Evans is always out of the saddle, but Wiggins has the power to remain in the saddle regardless of the route or incline. Pure class.

As for Nibali and Froome, Nibali's Italian for a start. I watched him in the Giro where Liquigas dragged everyone up the mountains, and all the others used that, and attacked towards the end. I really can't see Nibali doing much, and he doesn't seem to be able to gain time as he usually does on descents.

Froome is outstanding. If Sky hadn't protected Wiggins for two or three stages in last year's Vuelta, he'd have won that, rather than coming second as he did.

Oh, and Wiggins's emotional response to whispers of drug taking, about time someone spoke out. It's no longer the 90's where doping was rife.

I haven't put the champagne in the fridge yet, but if Wiggo wins this tour, it'll definitely be there, along with a few tears.

After a wet 50 miles over Dartmoor on my new bike earlier, that's made my day.

Sagan is a monster. What a rider at only 22. Cavendish seems to have been saving himself for the olympics, but I don't give him much chance of winning there with the course. It's more of a classics rider's course, and with only 5 riders in each team Great Britain won't be able to control the race. Cavendish has won the Milan-San Remo with the Poggio huge climb at the end, but Box Hill might be too much for him. It seems to suit riders like Boonen, Gilbert (finally do something this season), Hushovd or if Cancellara gets away on the final flat, he might do his time trial bit. then there's always Sagan to consider if he's riding.

He was once so desperate to ride a race, he took his sister's bike, and won the race.

Looking good for Wiggins now, Sky have controlled the race brilliantly, every rider has given their all. Except for Eisel looking after Cavendish through the mountains, they've all done their turn on the front. Considering that Hagan is a sprinter, he's turned himself inside out at the front, only giving up when he's given his all. Porte and Rogers have been solid, and then there's Froome. Thankfully there's no Contador or Frank schleck to rip the peloton apart in the mountains, or it might look quite a lot different in the GC.

He can't attack in the mountains as he'd drag Evans and Nibali away, leaving Wiggins exposed, and the one thing is that Wiggins is the leader, no getting past that. So he has to stay by Wiggins's side unless it looks like me might be able to attack at the end of a mountain stage.

Evans hasn't looked good all season, he's struggled for form, plus his new adopted son must have been a distraction for him, and Nibali is a typical Italian rider. Same as Menchov; Nibali promises a lot (and always says a lot), but rarely delivers. Tomorrow's stage might have an attack towards the summit of a climb, then hope to gain time on the descent. But, the way that Sky are riding, they'll probably just turn the screw.

My riders of the tour, Wiggins, Froome, Sagan and the brilliant Tejay Van Garderen. Possibly Evans's successor. And I wouldn't write Sorensen off for KoM.

A week to go, and I can't see Sky loosening their grip, and Cavendish to go all out for Paris along with Sagan.

It's a shame that Froome hasn't been able to get more glory this Tour, but it's all about Wiggo. I would hope that Froome would get to ride the Vuelta as team leader where he finished second last year, and have Flecha by his side for the mountains.

What a brilliant time for British cycling.

The champagne's not in the fridge yet, but it's on the worktop ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got no interest in cycling. None whatsoever. In fact I've got a bit of a pathological hatred of cyclists (don't whine about cars being inconsiderate when you cycle on the pavement and don't bother stopping for red lights). But unless something REALLY spectacular happens at the Olympics, surely Bradley Wiggins has to be sports personality of the year and Team Sky have to be team of the year. Fantastic achievement, and quite humbling sportsmanship/teamwork.

I've got no interest in cycling. None whatsoever. In fact I've got a bit of a pathological hatred of cyclists (don't whine about cars being inconsiderate when you cycle on the pavement and don't bother stopping for red lights). But unless something REALLY spectacular happens at the Olympics, surely Bradley Wiggins has to be sports personality of the year and Team Sky have to be team of the year. Fantastic achievement, and quite humbling sportsmanship/teamwork.

Team of the year could be very interesting as whilst Team Sky have done really well, the cycling team at the Olympics have a real chance of getting an even bigger haul of golds/medals than they did in Beijing. Plus, a lot of Team Sky will be part of the cycling team at the Olympics.

Bradley Wiggins is not as secure for SPOTY as people might think, if I was a betting man I'd be looking for a cheeky E/W bet on Victoria Pendleton (who could become the first British woman to win 3 golds at one Olympics and I'm going to have a google to see what other women have won 3 golds at one Olympics as a lot have a bit of controversy about them). Plus Mo Farrah, who could be the first Britain to win the 10k and 5k too. If you win more than one gold at the Olympics then you are always in with a shout.

"In fact I've got a bit of a pathological hatred of cyclists (don't whine about cars being inconsiderate when you cycle on the pavement and don't bother stopping for red lights)."

As a fanatical cyclist for over 40 years who tries to ride considerately, I've got to agree with you, Rosa. there are some real pricks out there on the roads, including the one yesterday that tried to sit on my wheel, then gave me the thumbs up as he finally passed and rode like a maniac through two red lights.

Chapeau, Wiggo.

"In fact I've got a bit of a pathological hatred of cyclists (don't whine about cars being inconsiderate when you cycle on the pavement and don't bother stopping for red lights)."

As a fanatical cyclist for over 40 years who tries to ride considerately, I've got to agree with you, Rosa. there are some real pricks out there on the roads, including the one yesterday that tried to sit on my wheel, then gave me the thumbs up as he finally passed and rode like a maniac through two red lights.

Chapeau, Wiggo.

A month or so ago I spotted two of them absolutely steaming down a road, over a set of lights and trying to get past a mass of people who had started to cross. The one in front had to brake and the one behind smashed into him. Every pedestrian to a man (or woman) took a second to check that they were only superficially injured and began to laugh at them.

Fantastic achievement by Sky, one of the most dominant team performances I can remember in any sport, ever.

At times it seemed dull, and was screaming for a Contador or Schleck attack on the mountains.

Evans and Nibali tried it, but Sky didn't panic, just slowly upped the pace, and reeled them back in. Due to the time advantage that Sky had, it was up to other teams to take them on; some did, and failed.

Brilliant planning and tactics from them, and to see Sanchez's face not only at the sprint that Cavendish won but also the time trial was an absolute picture ("Sky just want to win everything!" Good).

Personally I'm in awe of Hagen, who's still regarded as a sprinter. He led the team day after day, only dropping away when he could do no more.

And as for Wiggins leading out Cavendish in the final unbelievable sprint, what a man. What a team.

• 2 weeks later...