Ernie

It would be better if it was a minutes applause just before kick off .If it started after then who would start and finish it and what if there was a goal/incident which would interupt it.Good gesture which all Latics will join you in but I feel it would be better if the ref did it just before kick off which is the usual way of showing uninterupted appreciation for Ernie.

Not officially no. Just the Crawley fans who think it would be appropriate. I gather something similar took place up at Hartlepool last weekend and both sets of fans took part (nothing to do with Ernie). I take the point about the exact timing though because who knows what will be happening at 28 minutes. Maybe we should all play it by ear.

Not officially no. Just the Crawley fans who think it would be appropriate. I gather something similar took place up at Hartlepool last weekend and both sets of fans took part (nothing to do with Ernie). I take the point about the exact timing though because who knows what will be happening at 28 minutes. Maybe we should all play it by ear.

Chant "One Ernie Cooksey!" giving both sets of supporters the opportunity to join in.

Chant "One Ernie Cooksey!" giving both sets of supporters the opportunity to join in.

Did he play for Crawley? If not, I don't think that'd be appropriate. Alright clapping for a fella who lost his life to soon but it'd be bit gimmicky if they sung. He's special in our hearts, not in theirs.

Quick search obviously confirms he did, my apologies. Good idea... Makes sense now. I'll do my minutes applause in front of Jeff Stelling and the gay Scottish one.

Edited by longtimeblue

On a point of information, Ernie was a trainee at Colchester United and then played non-league football at Crawley Town and Chesham United. After Latics gave him the opportunity to turn professional, he went on to play for Rochdale, Boston United and Grays Athletic.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns