mp3 help for a technophobe please!

roytonboy

Hi Guys

I have bought a Philips MP3 player today without niavely researching the market and reading the instructions it tells me that my player does not support WMA songs bought off the internet. Does this mean I cannot buy any music off the net or only from certain places??

Very confused - some help would be appreciated!!

Many thanks in anticipation

Roytonboy

Hi Guys

I have bought a Philips MP3 player today without niavely researching the market and reading the instructions it tells me that my player does not support WMA songs bought off the internet. Does this mean I cannot buy any music off the net or only from certain places??

Very confused - some help would be appreciated!!

Many thanks in anticipation

Roytonboy

Hi

Does it support WMA itself? Can't see why it would support WMA but not if bought - that is only a licence issue. Unless of course it's telling you that WMA files and the accompanying licence file aren't supported - which I guess no MP3 player would support. I've only ever bought 2 songs off the web and they came with a separate drmv file (digital media rights) - Win Media Player would look for those files to check the WMA file is legit before it plays - something no MP3 player can do (I think!)

Don't worry - even if you have lots of WMA off the web something like SoundTaxi will convert them for your MP3 player.

I'm in Vegas too if you need some assistance....

Some MP3 players do allow Windows Media Player (or the bundled software) to synch DRM protected audio. Media player copies a small XML file (WMPInfo.XML) to the MP3 telling the player that the protected audio has been synched from the source of the license. I have a Samsung player and it does have this feature, however not all makes of MP3 player support this though.

There are ways around stripping the DRM header off a protected audio file, but I'm not going to tell you how to do it on here, and neither should anybody else.

There's a couple of threads on here that may be of assistance...

>>>> LINK1 <<<<

>>>> LINK 2 <<<<