Town full of Bangladeshis

rudemedic

They [scientists] used to be 99% certain that the earth was flat.

Do you want to reconsider that?

Ancient Greeks knew this rock was round way before Roman Catholicism persuaded (we'll burn your children, heretic) the 'civilised' world that it was flat.

Disagree and risk ridicule and even worse, funding cuts.

I reckon that's why it's peer reviewed? If it's a dud (perpetual motion for instance), a 'scientist' could just as easily get funding from Oprah Winfrey or some other loon, or even con the cash - I suppose that's where the ridicule really lies.

The world won't end tomorrow. FYI.

Guest Scratch2000uk

However, I am interested in that you consider his viewpoint.

Because of his politics? or why he dropped out of college? or his flight 93 views? Or his reasoning behind the leaking of the report?

Hasnt the subsidy been cut to the point its not viable? My parent had been offered free electricity (Big Roof facing the right way) for a 15 year contract to feed back in then the Gov changed the pricing and not heard since. They have invested in a ground source heat pump and recycling rain water shortly and this appears to be something that is very efficient.

That's the whole point of the carbon tax, to raise electricity prices so that greener alternatives look like a better deal, but who's getting shafted for it, the electricity companies? nope.

They have come down in price as the costs involved installing it outweighed the savings in fuel costs. The average cost of a complete solar home energy system, allowing independence from the electric grid, is about £13,000 as of January 2010.

Is that realistically affordable to the ordinary working folk of Oldham who were the worst paid town not so long ago and most of the work places are low-skilled and low-waged, Not to mention all the sunshine we get

I'm no expert but I believe the subsidy has been cut and yes it did make it less viable for the free installers and so there are less of them around. It also made it less viable for the home owners who wanted to pay for the installation, but they still did/do recieve a feed in tarriff payment of a lesser amount.

My mates are looking at it at the moment and the cost of installation has come down a bit from £12k in 2010 as Scratch says to about £8k - £9k apparently. The lifespan of the panels are supposed to be longer than initially expected with people getting 30 years rather than the expected 20 years out of them.

Scratch, I cannot disagree with you re. the Carbon tax but is it affordable to install Solar Panels? That's the point of the green deal (again apparently). If it works as it should (which could be a big ask) then any homeowner should be able to take out a student loan style loan, have the renewable energy device installed and pay back less than they are paying currently to their energy provider (the golden rule) in order to pay the loan. In effect it 'should' save them money. Do I trust them to get it right? Not at the moment, but I am getting free loft and cavity wall insulation under the old grant scheme (ran out end of Nov).

The other point is technology is improving and will make renewable energy generation more efficient and better value . I have previously looked at a Micro Combined Heat and Power generator though the heat provided from the current models has to be used straight away or is lost (rubbish in the summer). The next generation however incorporate a fuel cell which allows the heat to be stored, I believe the same concept can be used for solar panels too, which makes them much more efficient and better value.

At the end of the day though, I agree that the carbon tax will punish the ones with the lower incomes regardless.

Guest Scratch2000uk

At the end of the day though, I agree that the carbon tax will punish the ones with the lower incomes regardless.

And those people are probably the ones who have the lowest carbon footprint.

Ancient Greeks knew this rock was round way before Roman Catholicism persuaded (we'll burn your children, heretic) the 'civilised' world that it was flat.

Do you mean the persecution of Galileo? The Church at that time knew perfectly well that the earth was round. They got the arse with him defending his theory of gravity by maintaining that there was only one tide a day and so on.