Speed of thought

First of all, the effort was there. While gutted to lose, there was energy and commitment. If you're going to lose, go down with a fight. We did, and credit for that. Another day, we would have win.

Matt Smith summed it up for me though. He brings the ball down in slow motion, telegraphs his pass and before he gets the chance to complete it the tackle comes in. The speed of thought is not League One standard.

Matt Smith gets injured. What happened next? Did they take him to A&E? Might as well have done the time it took. I didn't check my watch but I'd estimate that we played a good ten minutes of that game a man light. It was clear there would be lots of stoppage time. We were right on top and it took the wind out of our sails. Where's the speed of thought from medics? Where's the speed of thought from manager? I think we should have had Dan Taylor on at this point. Easy to say with hindsight, but surely if he wasn't going to be ready before the whistle went for half time he should have even replaced.

Second half starts and we still look the better side. Then they made a change on the hour and took control. That's not to say we were out of the game, but we became second best. Where was the speed of thought from our manager to counter this? I didn't see anything.

First sub 83 minutes. Come on, we'd played with 10 men or a chunk. Doncaster already had two subs on and were about to make a third. Mr Fitness Coach must have an idea here?

When we did get forwards we slowed the play too often. Time to think. First half we pinged it around nicely, second we needed the extra touch. If its bobbling around in their box put your foot through it lads!

Croft didn't have the legs later on. Surely Hughes, Taylor or Millar could have given us a more effective outlet from the 75th minute.

On its own, it's no disaster. Decentish performance and another demonstration that out players are a capable bunch.

But in so many other ways it epitomised everything that's wrong with Oldham Athletic.

Edited by opinions4u

Agreed O4U, there was effort and commitment shown from the players ( which afterall is what should be the minimum requirement) but it isn't hard to see why Doncaster have not won in four games, they are mediocre at best !

Todays game was there to be won and credit must go to Dean Saunders for freshening things up in the second half.

As for our own manager,once again a woefully inept display !

if Matt Smith can play over 60 mins to any great effect then i am Marco Van Basten,, Taylor should have replaced him after the hour mark and we may have had more of a chance ,

Agreed O4U, there was effort and commitment shown from the players ( which afterall is what should be the minimum requirement) but it isn't hard to see why Doncaster have not won in four games, they are mediocre at best !

Todays game was there to be won and credit must go to Dean Saunders for freshening things up in the second half.

As for our own manager,once again a woefully inept display !

if Matt Smith can play over 60 mins to any great effect then i am Marco Van Basten,, Taylor should have replaced him after the hour mark and we may have had more of a chance ,

Probably deserved a draw, but no more, the big let down was the manager and his ineptness in spotting the obvious - a very tired Matt Smith, and again not using substitutes to good effect (which Doncaster did and every team seems to do bar the Latics).

I go to home games now hoping for a draw at best, something I have never done before in over 50 years of supporting the club.

Edited by BP1960

Excellent post. Summed up everything I'm feeling right now. He has no clue what to do and when to do it. Smith was on the pitch already so plan B was out of the question. Every man and his dog could see smith, M'Chang and Crofty were shattered after 60mins and the game from our standpoint had gone very stale. I really feel for Dan Taylor, he made a big move coming here and now is so far down the pecking order. Someone needs to explain to PD the purpose of naming 7 subs. He is sucking the life out of our youngsters and youth system (yes I know Taylor is the exception there) and seems so reluctant to EVER take a chance. Relegation looms if he stays. He's the reason we lost 2day not the players who really did put a shift in. Time to go Paul, thanks for the effort and quality of signings you attracted, but both parties need a change.

Just had a baby, thought I'd really miss match days , im not.

I live other side of Leeds so it's a fair old journey, but I never wanted to do anything else other than go to latics, but we are so depressingly bad these days , we ve had dark days but we are teetering on the brink , on and off the pitch

ST holder but didnt go yesterday as im in the Lakes for Christmas.

I put on Final Score at quarter to 5, and was pleased to see we werent getting a battering. But - and i think this sums up how a lot of us a feeling right now - i said to my wife i bet we ship a late goal and lose. I just have zero confidence in the management & players; and i just knew; i mean i could just tell we were going to lose it.

No pleasure derived from losing at all. At all. But i knew we would. Unfortunately, He needs to go. U