Managing Games

Others may have a different view but I thought the players put the effort in today and it's hard to think of a bad individual performance (Iwelumo started well but faded, although the ref treated him harshly and Brown was only a bit below average when you consider the lack of protection he got from higher up the pitch (mainly Croft)).

The reason we lost in my opinion was our inability to manage the game and the blame unfortunately lies with Dickov. It might not be a popular view but a point today would've been a good result, especially after 60/65 minutes. Walsall weren't the type of team to dominate possession but they have 3 attacking midfield players with the ability to exploit space between defence and midfield at times in the match and we provided them with the space. I know Dickov has been criticised for playing too defensively and to that end he's in between a rock and a hard place as he needs to go for short term results, but we were being caught on the break before the first two subs with Wes as the only "defensive" midfielder, bringing on two wingers who were not even 20 made the situation even worse and we were made to pay. Overloading the attack when the team was 2-1 down is understandable but at 1-1 away from home it isn't.

It might not please people to think defensively but I could've seen us getting at least a point if we had brought Murray on alongside Wes for Iwelumo and left Barnard up top on his own to chase down the loose balls. The game was open and we could've hit them on the break.

If playing the way we did for the first 3/4's of today's game works for the next 2 home games (if Yeovil and MK give us space to work with, it could) then Dickov may still have some use, but if it doesn't then he HAS to be gone by this time next week as there are plenty of smart, pragmatic lower league managers who can do the job that he can't. Megson is top of my list and today strengthened that view.

I said to my dad after about an hour that he should put Murray on for Iwelumo and push Baxter further forward. It would have been an attacking change which could have helped us get something.

Baxter needs to be further forward. He will hurt teams if he is up front. He won't if he is playing too deep.

I said to my dad after about an hour that he should put Murray on for Iwelumo and push Baxter further forward. It would have been an attacking change which could have helped us get something.

Baxter needs to be further forward. He will hurt teams if he is up front. He won't if he is playing too deep.

I think Baxter influenced the game more from deep in the 1st half but tired, push further forward and left Wes stretched as the 2nd half went on.

I think Baxter influenced the game more from deep in the 1st half but tired, push further forward and left Wes stretched as the 2nd half went on.

Why do our players tire, can't they pace a game or aren't they fit enough? several 60 minute men it seems in the team.

Edited by BP1960

I thought we played well for the first half an hour, and after that just went into a decline. Its a lack of concentration that is the issue, either the levels arent right in training or the players arent responding to the tactics that we employ.

Worst thing is, we just looked predictable towards the end, hoofing ball after ball.

I thought we played well for the first half an hour, and after that just went into a decline. Its a lack of concentration that is the issue, either the levels arent right in training or the players arent responding to the tactics that we employ.

Worst thing is, we just looked predictable towards the end, hoofing ball after ball.

So why did he bring on 2 wide men if he's not going to get best use of them?