Wrexham and the Welsh FA

I've always had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the fact that the Welsh clubs playing in English leagues are governed by the Welsh FA rather than the English FA. I can remember incidents in the past when Cardiff have been given lenient sentences for crowd trouble when English clubs have received much worse for teh same offence. I'm probably still bitter about Wrexham getting international clearance to sign the two St Kitts lads after we'd been refused.

This takes it to a new level though:

David Artell of Wrexham was sent off on Saturday for violent conduct

This should mean a 3 match ban so misses 2 play-offs and final if they get there

Wrexham appealed because the punishment "might be too severe"

The hearing by Welsh FA decided that the red card stands but the punishment is too severe so the suspension was wiped out completely. In the English FA's rule book - "Red cards in first team competitive matches result in immediate suspension from forthcoming first team competitive matches."

Artell played and scores the first goal on Tuesday nifght against Kidderminster.

The club's appeal against a three-match suspension that was automatically placed on David Artell following his red card at Mansfield Town on Saturday has been successful.

Following an FAW Disciplinary Panel hearing held this lunchtime, David is free from further suspension and is available for selection against Kidderminster Harriers this evening.

The club's appeal was based on our claim that a three-match ban might be too severe in this particular case and we were fortunate that as the game was covered by live television, the panel had the opportunity to view several different camera angles.

On the day the referee gave an honest decision and the red card still stands on the player's record. Our appeal was purely that a three-game suspension might be too much for this particular offence.

http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/article/artell-ban-13.04.23-788793.aspx

I've always had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the fact that the Welsh clubs playing in English leagues are governed by the Welsh FA rather than the English FA. I can remember incidents in the past when Cardiff have been given lenient sentences for crowd trouble when English clubs have received much worse for teh same offence. I'm probably still bitter about Wrexham getting international clearance to sign the two St Kitts lads after we'd been refused.

This takes it to a new level though:

David Artell of Wrexham was sent off on Saturday for violent conduct

This should mean a 3 match ban so misses 2 play-offs and final if they get there

Wrexham appealed because the punishment "might be too severe"

The hearing by Welsh FA decided that the red card stands but the punishment is too severe so the suspension was wiped out completely. In the English FA's rule book - "Red cards in first team competitive matches result in immediate suspension from forthcoming first team competitive matches."

Artell played and scores the first goal on Tuesday nifght against Kidderminster.

The club's appeal against a three-match suspension that was automatically placed on David Artell following his red card at Mansfield Town on Saturday has been successful.

Following an FAW Disciplinary Panel hearing held this lunchtime, David is free from further suspension and is available for selection against Kidderminster Harriers this evening.

The club's appeal was based on our claim that a three-match ban might be too severe in this particular case and we were fortunate that as the game was covered by live television, the panel had the opportunity to view several different camera angles.

On the day the referee gave an honest decision and the red card still stands on the player's record. Our appeal was purely that a three-game suspension might be too much for this particular offence.

http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/article/artell-ban-13.04.23-788793.aspx

Indeed, couldn't agree more. I think one of the conditions of joining the PL though is that sort of thing is stopped. As Swansea had to go through a similar thing after one of their players got sent off early on last season.