Would we have been better off had we gone under in 2003?

It's probably not going to be a popular post this. But 11 seasons ago we nearly went to the wall. We were saved by TTA and what has happened since has been a steady decline albeitin the same division. It's seen a few high moments, granted and I'm still grateful for that, don't get me wrong.

BUT

The news today has me wondering whether we're now in a better position than if we had gone bust? I know rising Phoenix-like through the divisions isn't ever a guarantee but we've seen more clubs do that than not over the past couple of decades. Now, we're a resourceful bunch - we all saw that when we nearly went to the wall last time. I'm sure thousands of us would have clubbed together to help rebuild OAFC - the trust was in place and we did have funding to start it all off again after what was collected (where the :censored: IS that now?) Whilst it probably wouldn't have seen us "do a Donny" and rise back up to the Championship, I think we'd have seen a club used to promotions and success (yes, I know. At a lower level), but the whole ethos and mood at the club would sureley have been different.

Wouldn't it?

What's your take on it?

By the way, I'm not directly haveing a pop at the owners - we all know Corney is perhaps reading this and already slamming doors and having a hissy fit - I think they arrived with great intentions and to make a bit of cash. And they've not ruthlessly put the club in jeapordy by taking out loans we could never pay off. They've been treuly unlucky as well as their own worst enemies. But this is a rhetorical question which really gets me thinking the "what if...".

I can see that.

We would have endured some :censored:, but then haven't we anyway?

It could happen to Bury, the North West Counties league is a long way from Division One.

Anyone up for swapping with Bury right now? If not, that answers the question

Remember we did not go into administration and :censored: all over lots of small creditors, like Leicester and southampton, and genrally we have been proud of that.

We did do that. Or that was part of the administration process. Leicester were special in managing to off the people who built their new stadium yet still keeping it. Rangers could do with their financial team on board at the moment

There is a difference if we where to start as a Phoenix club we would of had to start at the very bottom where Chester, like Halifax and AFC Telford where able to start in the Unibond Division one. But the rules have changed since then.

I disagree with the original post although you make some good points i feel we would of lost a generation of younger fans. We struggle with the two Manchester clubs as it is imagine trying to sell Non League football to kids? if they wont come to a league one side i doubt they watch us play Mossley each week. With social media nowdays it maybe different?

Also alot of these clubs would of switched games which to me takes the fun and heart out the fixture playing Darwen at Blackburn, Daisy Hill, Atherton Colls and Ashton Athletic at Wigan.

Still got some good.memories and at that time there was another two Phoenix clubs in AFC Barnsley who got wound up and Maidstone United who like Accy and Aldershot are still slowly working they way up.

Only just noticed the hug Philliskirk gave Dickov at the end of the Liverpool game. Quite a touching moment now we know what was happening behind the scenes.

Yup. He'd already been sacked at Notts County. Credit to him for taking it like he did and sticking around to help.

Nah, it's been a roller coaster but we've survived. Starting afresh in non-league may not have achieved similar to AFC Wimbledon and the like - we'd have been deserted by thousands more fans I reckon.

Just a thought - are all our current debts owed to the owners? If they decided to wipe off those debts then were debt free, especially now the current crop of players are out of contract albeit just four? Cut our cloth accordingly and we remain in the black. The owners sell on the ground etc to recoup their losses and were effectively starting afresh with a clean slate and no debts??!

Where are we losing the £400k a year (or whatever it is) to?! It's this just now running costs where outgoings exceed revenues or are we still paying back creditors from the last administration?

I'm confused......

Why would starting afresh ever be better? As you grow the club you need access to improved players and their agents so the whole process starts again. I'm pretty sure that AFC Wimbledon operate at a loss, as do many lower league clubs who aren't even trying to play :censored: or bust.