Johnson: Take it or leave it M'Voto and Croft

LJ knows the free signing market is bigger than ever. There will be decent players out there desperate for a club. I know we dont want a team of crap desperados but year after year clubs unearth gems from the frees so lets hope this year its our turn!

“With Crofty, what you have this year is hundreds of right-sided midfielders available,” said Johnson, who is currently working on finalising a deal for a mystery player whose name he is keen does not enter the public domain.

“What there aren’t a lot of is number nines and centre-halves. Jean really wants to stay. But if someone in the Championship comes in for him and offers to pay him a lot more than us then it’s a different story.

Interesting, there definitely aren't a lot of number 9's but I would swap the other two around. You can usually find a centre back who could do a job and putting someone like Tarky or Belezika alongside an old head can make up a decent centre back pairing. As for wingers there are probably a lot of quick and tricky wingers but I don't think there are many wingers at this level like Croft. Croft isn't the quickest but is a very smart passer of the ball, helps the right back defensively and is pretty consistent. The majority of wingers are often liabilities because they lack these traits.

I'd keep both personally but I'd put Croft 2nd to Baxter in the list of players I'd want to still be here come August, M'voto probably 3rd.