Johnson: Take it or leave it M'Voto and Croft

Won't improve the offer on the table, if they sign they sign. LIke the cut of his jib, sick of bowing down and begging players to re-sign, very much where I am. Sign or sod off, don't leave us hanging on.

We should have taken that attitude with Wes last Summer instead of improving his offer twice….

The more time he's here, the more i'm liking him.

(Plenty of time for that to change mind!!!)

Speak sense, ad acts on it.

The deals are there. If they sign them, bonus. If they don't - he's given himself plenty of time to find replacements. Refreshing stance.

Said they could be replaced in the time it's taking them to think it over. JYM not much of a gamble but it is for Croft imo…. Said it earlier in the week Yeovil have proved with Burn there's loads of unknown dominant CH's out there, JYM was on the radar when we signed him but had hardly ripped up trees at Southend and had a rep as a bit of a crock.

If they sign, they sign- i'm not going to lose sleep over ANY of last season's squad walking...

Won't improve the offer on the table, if they sign they sign. LIke the cut of his jib, sick of bowing down and begging players to re-sign, very much where I am. Sign or sod off, don't leave us hanging on.

We should have taken that attitude with Wes last Summer instead of improving his offer twice….

I don;t 100% agree, each person/players is different. These two are two of the more likely ones to keep.

If they are messing us about then fair enough (or even if LJ knows they have others and unlikely to stay) , but if its a case of a few weeks negotiations to get them to sign, then its fair enough to spend some time on them.

I reckon, though, that this and saying lots want to sign is our way of getting them cheaper, and that is fair enough in this current market.

I given them till first week of June if heard nothing by then show them the door. Although would love to see both of these players stay. Fair play to LJ must have others lined up if he his giving them that sort of Ultimatum.

Edited by oafctom

I don;t 100% agree, each person/players is different. These two are two of the more likely ones to keep.

If they are messing us about then fair enough (or even if LJ knows they have others and unlikely to stay) , but if its a case of a few weeks negotiations to get them to sign, then its fair enough to spend some time on them.

I reckon, though, that this and saying lots want to sign is our way of getting them cheaper, and that is fair enough in this current market.

Exactly. Laying down a drop dead date for signature is potentially cutting off your nose to spite your face. If it was Baxter who was out of contract, I'd prefer we spent the necessary time negotiating to keep him, rather than laying an offer on the table and, if it's not signed there and then, whipping it away and telling them where to go.

LJ is doing everything brilliant so far. This will ensure the players who walk out in August will want to be here and not because they have had big money offers.

Unless they've come here because we're offering more money than someone else - and we will be compared with many League 2 clubs.

Some players will sign for us because it's the best offer they'll get - "big money" compared with a lower wage or no contact at all.

Edited by LaticsPete

Didn't Dickov say similar last year about giving them two weeks to sign or get :censored:ed.....

Exactly.

People complained about Dickov just "talking the talk".

Let's see what Johnson does rather than says

Edited by pukka

Didn't Dickov say similar last year about giving them two weeks to sign or get :censored:ed.....

Dickov didn't stand by it though.

If you give a deadline, you have to stick to it or lose face.

Let's see how it pans out with LJ.

Something tells me that LJ won't be pissed about and will stand by his word. There's so many players out of contract, he has more than enough time to find replacements if the ditherers don't sign what's in front of them. If they don't sign with us and LJ brings others in, they could just catch a cold and not find another club as easily.

Power to your elbow, LJ. Stand by it, please.

Exactly my faith in Dickov last year was misplaced, I take Johnson as a man of his word rather than a Dickov type who tells people what he thinks they want to hear.

Of course only time will tell with LJ but the signs so far are encouraging

“With Crofty, what you have this year is hundreds of right-sided midfielders available,” said Johnson, who is currently working on finalising a deal for a mystery player whose name he is keen does not enter the public domain.

“What there aren’t a lot of is number nines and centre-halves. Jean really wants to stay. But if someone in the Championship comes in for him and offers to pay him a lot more than us then it’s a different story.

“Of course, we would love to keep both of them. But if they don’t end up coming back, it isn’t the end of the world.

“They know what our offer is. I think they are biding their time, which is fine. But if someone comes along who I think is better I won’t hesitate. That’s the risk they run.

“We won’t break the bank to make it happen.”

I love this man.