Great / Standout performances by otherwise poor players

Reeves vs. Chesterfield. Awesome debut, didn't do much after that.

Wasn't the debut vs Blackpool on Boxing Day? 2goals inc a pen?

Pretty sure Ian Marshall played for Blackpool that day.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second David Currie - he'll be forever the chap who looked like a world beater in warm up before the match only to lose all sense of touch when the whistle blew. Notts County in the cup was the only match where he actually kept it going during the match.

Also Ian Olney vs. Wimbledon. I was one of his few fans, but that was the match where even his doubters (and they were plentiful!) could see he had ability. I think that possibly made him even more frustrating.

Finally - Nicky Banger on loan compared to Nicky Banger, permanent signing.

Second David Currie - he'll be forever the chap who looked like a world beater in warm up before the match only to lose all sense of touch when the whistle blew. Notts County in the cup was the only match where he actually kept it going during the match.

Also Ian Olney vs. Wimbledon. I was one of his few fans, but that was the match where even his doubters (and they were plentiful!) could see he had ability. I think that possibly made him even more frustrating.

Finally - Nicky Banger on loan compared to Nicky Banger, permanent signing.

Great shouts. Still love John Gilder's commentary on the 90/91 season video. "Currie...chance to make a name for himself...." just before he blasts one into the net against County. Apart from that (and maybe a goal against Chelsea at the start of 91/92 I think?) he was terrible. Imagine if we'd had decent replacement strikers for Ritchie and Marshall rather than Moulden and Currie in the Championship season. I'm with you as well - I would defend Olney forever as a Latics player. If he'd stayed fit for 93/94 we might've stayed up. Banger started off really well but was utterly, utterly useless after he signed. Summed up our decline really.

Olney got a rough deal from Latics fans, his only full season he played half a season up front on his own and still scored 13 goals. At Villa he was rotated with Regis and Yorke, here he was signed go play off Sharp yet had to play as a lone target man. He gave me a couple of my best moments of our time in the Premier League with his late, late shows against Leeds & Spurs. He was vital in that final week too with priceless goals against Liverpool and Southampton.

Olney got a rough deal from Latics fans, his only full season he played half a season up front on his own and still scored 13 goals. At Villa he was rotated with Regis and Yorke, here he was signed go play off Sharp yet had to play as a lone target man. He gave me a couple of my best moments of our time in the Premier League with his late, late shows against Leeds & Spurs. He was vital in that final week too with priceless goals against Liverpool and Southampton.

I think there was still a feeling of 'Wow, Latics are now spending 750k on players?!' so everyone was expecting him to be Pele. He was a bit lightweight and looked a bit disinterested at times (from what i recall) but you're spot on - he scored some pretty crucial goals and was really handy. if we'd had him fit for 93/94, rather than past-their-bests Sharpe and Palmer, inconsistent Beckford and not Premier League standard McCarthy, I think we'd have stayed up.