Latics 1-0 Carlisle: Post match discussion

After a poor start to the season, wasn't a 1-0 home win over Carlisle (thanks to a penalty..) the catalyst to us going on a run which ended up with us getting to the play-offs under Sheridan? Just saying...

Nope. The win at Forest was. A month earlier than now. We didn't beat Carlisle at home that year. We drew 0-0 with Terry Smith in net... Edited by Lee Sinnott

Nope. The win at Forest was. A month earlier than now. We didn't beat Carlisle at home that year. We drew 0-0 with Terry Smith in net...

Scunthorpe is the one I'm thinking of. Getting a scrappy 1-0 win against a team who (at the time) were also-ran's in the division after a long period of results that our good performances didn't deserve. Then we went and played a big team (Forest) off the park the following midweek.

Could lightning strike twice? Probably not because if Carlisle are playing Scunthorpe's part, they'll be champions come May!

It was the sort of performance and result that latics fans, and those on this board in particular, have been crying out for all season. We were far from poor, but have certainly played much, much better this season and lost.

The lads were quick out of the traps, with Smith pulling the strings, Wes everywhere and Charlie Mac's movement sharp as ever. When McDonald went off we took a wee while to get used to how to utilise Millar and Rooney as a partnership and the game suffered as a result for 10 mins or so. Once the goal went in (unsure about the decision at the time & still can't make my mind up after watching the ever thorough Latics part of FLS) we really grew into the game and looked very good, with Danny P in a roaming role from RM particularly impressive. Barring the marking for the offside miss by Amoo and one other twitchy moment we were comfortable and a less eager Millar might have made one of his half chances count.

After the break again comfortable for the first 15-20 mins, just like Leyton Orient last time. We just don't kill teams off and Wes, Millar, Dayton all went close. The worry must be the lack of chances for Rooney, who actually was much more impressive in general play.

Then came the statutory last half hour at BP, same as last week without an offside equaliser. For me, as soon as our captain starts to tire we lose all momentum, composure and tempo, Korey and Wes get deeper and deeper, the opposition build a head of steam and this is not a unique occurrence but the norm this season. LJ refused to change things in the 2nd half yesterday and I'm really unsure why with the options on the bench. Danny P had become a ghost and was providing no protection for Kusunga, who was increasingly narrowing our defensive line as his natural instincts shone through. Winchester at RB/RWB or a natural wide man on the right was a option, or alternatively JCH for the knackered Rooney were both options not explored or even considered it seemed by LJ.

Not sure it was 'winning ugly', but it wasn't the flowing football witnessed at Posh, Preston or Stevenage. Onwards and upwards I hope, and looking at the difficult upcoming fixture list this win could prove absolutely key to our confidence and position come December.

Nope. The win at Forest was. A month earlier than now. We didn't beat Carlisle at home that year. We drew 0-0 with Terry Smith in net...

You're right.

Was thinking of either the Swansea or Scunthorpe game, which was much earlier on in the season and not relevant at all.

As you were...

It was the sort of performance and result that latics fans, and those on this board in particular, have been crying out for all season. We were far from poor, but have certainly played much, much better this season and lost.

The lads were quick out of the traps, with Smith pulling the strings, Wes everywhere and Charlie Mac's movement sharp as ever. When McDonald went off we took a wee while to get used to how to utilise Millar and Rooney as a partnership and the game suffered as a result for 10 mins or so. Once the goal went in (unsure about the decision at the time & still can't make my mind up after watching the ever thorough Latics part of FLS) we really grew into the game and looked very good, with Danny P in a roaming role from RM particularly impressive. Barring the marking for the offside miss by Amoo and one other twitchy moment we were comfortable and a less eager Millar might have made one of his half chances count.

After the break again comfortable for the first 15-20 mins, just like Leyton Orient last time. We just don't kill teams off and Wes, Millar, Dayton all went close. The worry must be the lack of chances for Rooney, who actually was much more impressive in general play.

Then came the statutory last half hour at BP, same as last week without an offside equaliser. For me, as soon as our captain starts to tire we lose all momentum, composure and tempo, Korey and Wes get deeper and deeper, the opposition build a head of steam and this is not a unique occurrence but the norm this season. LJ refused to change things in the 2nd half yesterday and I'm really unsure why with the options on the bench. Danny P had become a ghost and was providing no protection for Kusunga, who was increasingly narrowing our defensive line as his natural instincts shone through. Winchester at RB/RWB or a natural wide man on the right was a option, or alternatively JCH for the knackered Rooney were both options not explored or even considered it seemed by LJ.

Not sure it was 'winning ugly', but it wasn't the flowing football witnessed at Posh, Preston or Stevenage. Onwards and upwards I hope, and looking at the difficult upcoming fixture list this win could prove absolutely key to our confidence and position come December.

Very good read that, top post.

...and posted in the post-match discussion thread to boot!

I'll upboat next time on signed on here on a laptop.