First time Managers

if he takes us down would you be happy to keep him on next season

Yes and if last season we had gone down. But confident we wont dont forget after Stevenage we still got Bristol City, Crawley, Gillingham, Notts County Sheff United all still to come to BP.

as with players if you are good enough you are old enough. the best managers at latics in my time were Frizz and Joe - both first timers. They would both agree that since their day the gap between rich and poor in football has grown massively such that clubs at the lower end have to make do and mend with loans. LJ has a tougher job than they did I think but his attitude gives grounds for optimism.

Interestingly, Joe Royle was only slightly older than him when he took over us.

I'm sure it has yet to sink in BUT under the Financial Fair Play (FFP) regime clubs in league 1 are applying a Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP). This means each club can spend no more than 60% of the club's turnover on players wages. So it doesn't matter who is managing the team they still have the same ceiling and given that our average home attendance is 19th of the 24 clubs in our league a finish above 19th place is better than we can expect all things being equal. It is only by having a manager with potential and sticking with him that Latics can have any hope of getting out of league 1. Lee Johnson has built a team which looks better than 19th place and I am hopeful that with the additions this month and with further tweaks in the summer we will be pushing for a top six finish next year. This year I expect mid table and judged against the past few years that will be a very good result.