OAFC Youth Development under LJ

O4U, whilst we were near the playoffs, LJ's stock was still relatively high. Another couple of defeats and a mid-table standing and the likes of Barnsley wouldn't have come knocking. It was the opportune job at the opportune moment.

My gripe at the moment is certain posters are looking for the smallest detail to denigrate the fellah. He's gone and left us in a better state, both on and off the field, than when he rocked up.

I think it was the right time for him to go because, IMO, he was unable to decide on his best team and formation and the players didn't look comfortable in the formation that was decided upon.

Regarding the reserve team...didn't Corney make a similar decision during either Sheriden's or Dickov's reign?

O4U, whilst we were near the playoffs, LJ's stock was still relatively high. Another couple of defeats and a mid-table standing and the likes of Barnsley wouldn't have come knocking. It was the opportune job at the opportune moment.

It is half a step up. If he's as good as he suggests he thinks he is he'd have waited for something better.

My gripe at the moment is certain posters are looking for the smallest detail to denigrate the fellah. He's gone and left us in a better state, both on and off the field, than when he rocked up.

We are better off. But what you're seeing is all part of the adjustment to loss. Some of it's emotional nonsense. I think challenging his delivery on youth > first team is fair game. But the key measure is this: We exit February with little fear of relegation. That's progress.

I think it was the right time for him to go because, IMO, he was unable to decide on his best team and formation and the players didn't look comfortable in the formation that was decided upon.

If that's the measure, no manager gets past five games for any club!

Regarding the reserve team...didn't Corney make a similar decision during either Sheriden's or Dickov's reign?

Penney. Yes.

O4U....not sure about the challenging of the youth policy can be laid entirely at LJ's door. That is TP's department and if he isn't producing players that LJ feels are good enough to step up then the gripe aimed at LJ is misplaced. We can argue further that LJ is in overall control of the playing side but imagine the furore if he had gone to Corney and said that TP was not doing his job in producing kids good enough to being through.

Regarding the best team/formation, I should have said since November. I'll reiterate a point I've made earlier on several other threads, that LJ seemed entrenched in playing this diamond formation when it was 4.4.1.1 or 4.4.2 that has been more productive in terms of points, goals for/against and entertainment. Allowing for Jabo replacing JCH, the successful first 3/4 months of this season was done with an almost consistent, steady starting 11.

O4U....not sure about the challenging of the youth policy can be laid entirely at LJ's door. That is TP's department and if he isn't producing players that LJ feels are good enough to step up then the gripe aimed at LJ is misplaced. We can argue further that LJ is in overall control of the playing side but imagine the furore if he had gone to Corney and said that TP was not doing his job in producing kids good enough to being through.

Johnson gave contracts to Bove, Truelove, Mellor, Winchester. He gave two a chance. Struck gold with one, albeit one that was well beyond the yoofs. I'm not sure that's a bad record.

It's a fact that he didn't deliver what he said he'd deliver when it comes to youth development. But to me it's of secondary importance to first team success.

Thought Jacobs showed some promise not the best team performance to make your debut in today

Aye, it is my understanding that he is more of a quick CF than a wide player, so to see him tracking back with good effect was particularly pleasing.