Holiday advice - Rome

I would say it's all pretty walk-able really - and I don't really like walking either. I went for a few days earlier in the year. Didn't bother with the maps on the phone - just got a paper map from our hotel reception. Most places seem to do the same map, which in most places are free. They have loads of the main sights marked on and all the street names, and so was pretty easy to get anywhere. The metro there is also pretty easy to use if you'd rather go to the other side of town fairly quickly. Regarding going on roofs to get a great view of the area, which I'm sure is great - but I'd definitely recommend going up the road that runs from Piazza del Popolo to the rear of the Spanish steps. You can see everything practically from up there (and it's obviously free) - it also has a little van at the top that you can purchase a cold beer from to refresh yourself whilst taking in the sights. Have a look for yourself:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Spanish+Steps/@41.9096463,12.4801246,3a,75y,220.31h,92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1t-CeNuI1BMUtn6Jd2QWQg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D1t-CeNuI1BMUtn6Jd2QWQg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D333.6066%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x132f60541678ae75:0x7fc0d4978aae690f!6m1!1e1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the tips. It's a great place. Observations:

Whatever you read about where to buy tickets for the Lazio games, it's a lie. The locals support Roma and send you on the Mother of wild goose chases. There's only one shop and it's open for 15 minutes on the 3rd Thursday of each month.

Colloseum is awesome. Buy ahead or at the other sites as advised.

If you pay on the bus or the tram you are in company with other tourists and no sod else. Although the 3 day travel pass does get you into lots of tourist places for free the first time you use it. First times are unlimited.

We got a tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistene Chapel, means you go straight though to St Peter's instead of back out to a huge queue.

God in the Sistene Chapel is one mean bastard.

Chaddy tried to photobomb the centurions for free but no joy.

You can spend as much or as little as you want there for your food and drink.

Italian is further from other languages than I thought. I couldn't bodge at all based on my rubbish French and minute Spanish.