Extranal Hard Drive's Dead

Beardy

I recently bought an external HD for all my random bits, including a load of Vids, and pics of my kids when they were babies!

Problem is, this device is :censored:

It broke, and now i have lost a shed load of stuff that i really needed, and i went to Comet to tell them and they basically couldnt give a toss, neither could the manufacturer!

They even had the cheek to charge £20 to phone their technical help!

I have now been told i need to get someone to do "Data Recovery!" All i know is it cost a :censored: load of money to do!

Does anyone know how i can go about this without it costing me a small fortune?

How the hell has it managed to get broke in a month?!

You need equipment that you probably haven't got to do the job correctly, however...

Is the HDD connected via USB? Unplug, power off - plug the drive in another USB port or ports (mine uses two) and power on again.

Secondly - and this will invalidate your warranty! - take it apart, attach an IDE cable to the drive and power on your PC. You can get a cable for a 3.5" drive from PC World or wherever for about a fiver.

Bingo. All your stuff will be there - I'd advise you to install this "naked" drive into a free bay in your PC at the earliest opportunity.

Sorry about the delay in getting back, you may have to manipulate the jumpers on the drive, or your OS will not recognise it - it must be a slave drive.

The other instructions were not very clear to the novice - try these - saves me from typing them out...

>>>> IDE <<<<