virtual memory

SAV

I keep getting a message from windows 'virtual memory minimum to low.Windows will increase :blahblah: '

As i have been getting this window for over a week i guess there not.Any tips from the techie wizards on how to sort it myself

Ta very much

I keep getting a message from windows 'virtual memory minimum to low.Windows will increase :blahblah: '

As i have been getting this window for over a week i guess there not.Any tips from the techie wizards on how to sort it myself

Ta very much

Upgrade to more RAM (memory) if things are running too slowly, otherwise just let Windows do its thing and ignore it.

Ta very much

How much free space do you have on your C:\ drive?

What version of Windows are you using?

Yep these guys are right, just post up what you've got at the moment and we'll see.

What OS are you running (XP,ME,98,Vista)? What's the capacity of your c: drive (total and free)?, and how much RAM (in Mb) have you got?

Even if youve got 256mb, you can increase the page file to partially supress the message balloons.

Yep these guys are right, just post up what you've got at the moment and we'll see.

What OS are you running (XP,ME,98,Vista)? What's the capacity of your c: drive (total and free)?, and how much RAM (in Mb) have you got?

Even if youve got 256mb, you can increase the page file to partially supress the message balloons.

XP Home Edition

Cap C:drive 72.2gb

Free space 63.7gb

RAM 256mb

before you start peoples this computer is mainly for the kids school work,and its took me half an hour to find the above

GO EASY ON ME

XP Home Edition

Cap C:drive 72.2gb

Free space 63.7gb

RAM 256mb

before you start peoples this computer is mainly for the kids school work,and its took me half an hour to find the above

GO EASY ON ME

Wow, I'm surprised you can run XP on that.

In that case, you've got plenty of HDD space. Like Rummy said, you can increase the page file by doing the following:

Click 'Start'

Right-click on 'My Computer'

Click 'Properties'

Click the 'Advanced' tab

Under 'Performance' click 'Settings'

Click the 'Advanced' tab

Under 'Virtual Memory' click 'Change' and increase the figure.

The alternatives are to buy more RAM or try the program tactically_naive suggested.

The thing is the CPU loads stuff into the memory and XP isn't that good at clearing it out. FreeRam XP is a good tool to use - it'll do it all for you.

To do it manually:

1. Open System in Control Panel.

2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

3. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Virtual memory, click Change.

5. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

6. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set. Try and set it as high as possible. You really need some more memory in it, it's cheap and easy to install - i can do it for you.

I use FreeRam XP as well it's a good little program that sits in the systemtray. You can get it from here:

>>>> FREEXP RAM MANAGER <<<<

I recommend you use this Sav...

EDIT: Too slow!!!!! Steve's got it nailed again!

Wow, I'm surprised you can run XP on that.

In that case, you've got plenty of HDD space. Like Rummy said, you can increase the page file by doing the following:

Click 'Start'

Right-click on 'My Computer'

Click 'Properties'

Click the 'Advanced' tab

Under 'Performance' click 'Settings'

Click the 'Advanced' tab

Under 'Virtual Memory' click 'Change' and increase the figure.

The alternatives are to buy more RAM or try the program tactically_naive suggested.

found that bit

at the moments....

initial size 336mb

max size 672mb what should i increase it to