Another away allocation sold out - best away support in the land?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - and my opinion on City's away support? My cousin is a mad City fan - and he describes their away support as incredible. Personally, I haven't a clue - except I remember them taking over BP in the 80s before wrecking the place - think the RRE was full by about 1.30pm - so they climbed on pitch and went into the Ford Stand before starting to rip all the seats out - utter mayhem.

I remember this match well, 20th April 1984. Match ended 2-2 and did that bugger City's promotion up?

Was my first season at Latics that as an 8 year old and remember stood behind the wall (the old tunnel that went under the wooden steps) at the back of the Chaddy with my dad. I remember hiding behind him whilst hit kicked off in the Chaddy with my old man dishing out haymakers if any of those Neanderthal's came close to him and his boy.

Saw a picture floating around which has us top of % of our home attendance in the football league. At the moment we are averaging 860 away from home.

25% of our home following travel to aways, next best is around 15% its a fair amount but Id rather we was getting the 6 or 7 thousand at home and still take 900 away.

Lee - I`m afraid you'll have to have it - because it's true ! At times, we've had truly awful support - even Man City away (again in the 80s) - I remember we were in the small bit of the Kippax - probably only took about 600 that day - to City (unthinkable now I know).

Sunderland away in the FA cup - (70s) - one Latics fan ran onto pitch and planted a balloon in the centre circle - weren't many at Roker Park at all. Away matches didn't seem to be the 'big deal' they were nowadays. Times change.

Apart from Hull,York and Notts County that is, always took loads whenever we played them