zonal marking?

why wasnt leeds best header of a ball, marked by our best header of a ball on corners?? :angry:

do we use zonal marking? was the man to man instruction ignored? or was it never given in the first place?

No Rubes was marking him, like he was just before when Greg made a great save. As good as he can be he is forever switching off and has cost us a fair few goals since Christmas.

Highlight for me the other night was the defensive performance of DJ, didn't know he had it in him! Superb! (Lucky with the ball which hit his arm but he deserved his luck for the tackle on that Greasy Argie 'twit'!)

why wasnt leeds best header of a ball, marked by our best header of a ball on corners?? :angry:

do we use zonal marking? was the man to man instruction ignored? or was it never given in the first place?

Greegs was too busy with Beckford in his pocket again :grin:

Greegs was too busy with Beckford in his pocket again :grin:

nowt to smile about mate. whilst bechio was equalising, the man who should be marking him (if we are using common sense here) was bending over in front of one of their players on the back post.

nowt to smile about mate. whilst bechio was equalising, the man who should be marking him (if we are using common sense here) was bending over in front of one of their players on the back post.

I'm not sure what you want? Greegs had Beckford locked up for much of the game. You can't ask him to mark two men, and so you have to trust Rubes to pick up their next best player.

If it had been the other way around for the marking I'd expect Beckford to have scored because Rubes was awful in the air all game.

What i didn't understand at the corners was everybody was obviously marking man to man. They all lined up at the back of the area and left a big open space at the front.

When the corner was taken their players were first into the gap and got a free header.

(how their goal was scored)

Why didn't we leave a player in that gap or is that too simple !!!!

They did the same thing on the corner afterwards.

Or am i missing something ?

I'm not sure what you want? Greegs had Beckford locked up for much of the game. You can't ask him to mark two men, and so you have to trust Rubes to pick up their next best player.

If it had been the other way around for the marking I'd expect Beckford to have scored because Rubes was awful in the air all game.

dont know if you saw the 'how many seconds..' thread. but as i said on there, i wanted ruuuuubes on beckford and greegs on becchio, for corners at least. nevermind, sort of back on track now, lets hope we dont blow it against lowly colchester.

dont know if you saw the 'how many seconds..' thread. but as i said on there, i wanted ruuuuubes on beckford and greegs on becchio, for corners at least. nevermind, sort of back on track now, lets hope we dont blow it against lowly colchester.

Well Beckford clearly wanted Rubes marking him cos he got nowt out of Gregan.

Rubes should have been concentrating on heading the ball when Becchio scored, rather than pulling him all over the place. Had he concetrated on the ball he'd have made the header no problems.

Trendy zonal marking is something that's crept into the coaching manuals over the years, it's very much overrated.

Attack the ball and not the man is my philosophy.

The problem with zonal marking (which for the record I don't think we were doing) is not the focus on the man instead of the ball, it's the opposite. It's the idea that you get assigned a section of the area to mark and then whoever comes into that space is yours... the problem is that an effective opposition can just move bodies around and get a run on a standing defender.

It's awful.

It was no where near zonal marking, clearly man to man marking as 99% of british coaches use.

All that happened was, it was clear from my view straight on in the Chaddy, Leeds had a very clever plan (that almost worked on the following corner too) of 'blocking' off Becchio's marker. The group of 3 runners around the penalty spot, Becchio ran from the back of the pack to the near post with one of the Leeds attackers in the pack stopping and stepping out towards the D blocking Becchios marker giving him a free run onto the header. Fortunately at the following corner the delivery was shocking (hughes cleared near post) as Becchio had got even more of a free run.

...just in case anyone from the club is reading...add it to the reports in case of any playoff meetings.

As a centre half I prefer zonal marking if I can have it. And I prefer being man marked in the opposition box. Means I can manipulate the other player to be where I want before attacking the space. And if I can, I coach it to my junior sides.

Then again, if your players cant head a ball, then its rascal times