Shez to ask TTA for money for a striker on loan.

No new striker according to The Chron;

We need someone to lift us — Sheridan

ATHLETIC chief John Sheridan wants to boost his frontline options.

by TONY BUGBY

ATHLETIC’S owners will NOT sanction the signing of a new striker, despite Michael Ricketts’ loan transfer to Walsall.

It was thought Ricketts’ move for an initial three months might provide scope for manager John Sheridan to bring in a fresh face up front.

But I understand Athletic’s three financial backers are determined not to break their budget any further for the season when they are expected to have a deficit of around £400,000.

They have already brought in goalkeeper Marlon Beresford on loan and Reuben Hazell on a short-term contract because of injuries which had not been envisaged.

So unless Sheridan does some manoeuvring within his existing playing squad to reduce the wage bill, there is little chance of boosting his frontline options.

Athletic are keen to point out that, despite Ricketts’ departure, they are still blessed with plenty of strikers — Craig Davies, Lee Hughes, Matty Wolfenden, Deane Smalley and Lewis Alessandra.

Sheridan, speaking after Athletic failed to find the net for a fourth successive game in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Leyton Orient, said: “I would like to bring in a striker because we need somebody to lift us and get us a goal.

“I don’t know if Michael Ricketts leaving us changes the situation and it is something I will have to discuss with the owners.”

Sheridan appears to have lost patience with Ricketts, who has scored only two goals in 11 starts for Athletic.

Shortly after he was axed from the 17-man squad for Saturday’s game, Sheridan sanctioned the temporary move to League One rivals Walsall, the club where Ricketts kicked off his career.

The Athletic manager was reluctant to speak in detail about why he allowed the former England international to go out on loan.

“I would rather not talk about it because it doesn’t really matter,” he remarked.

When pressed further, Sheridan added: “I think I have better options which is why I let him go.”

Athletic have no new injury problems for tomorrow night’s visit to Tranmere Rovers, so Sheridan is likely to call on the same 17 players who made the trip to London.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No new striker according to The Chron;

TTA are quiite right in not bankrolling any more. Shez asked and Shez received. This is his making. If he had moved heaven and earth and kept last years top scorer we would not be in this mess. He clearly has not created the right work ethic.

It is up to him to sort it out. Amost akin to a vote of confidence.

Seeing as Sheri has next to nothing to show for a fairly substantial budget spent, I don't blame TTA at all for saying enough's enough.

E4e

ZZZZZ

See that Tony 'Doom and Gloom,Mr. Charisma himself' Bugby wrote the story. If true (and no direct quote from TTA) is Shez on borrowed time? I got the impression from Corney's comments pre-Walsall he was. Would be daft to throw money at it as Shez has pretty much dropped major goolies with his dealings (if they are HIS dealings), if Shez does get the bullett the new guy will need to wheel and deal in January. One thing that is getting my goat is the clubs refusal to comment on binning a guy, 3 months after giving him a 3 year deal. I think the fans are owed some sort of explanation, especially the poor sods who put his name and number on their shirts, after 2 more kit changes.

At the end of the day whether it's Shez or tha TTA this is obvisouly something deeper in the club than just a few bad signings. It doesn't matter who is to blame to but if you look at how inexperienced our whole senior management team is then there are gunna be stupid decisions like the porter saga, singing allot for a fee when we let him go for free, giving ricketts a 3 year contract etc....

It seems to me like the club are in a situation now which they haven't been in whilst the current management team has been in charge. We have spent money this summer and it's kicked us in the teeth as crowds are low due to our dreadful start to the season. Even the most optimistic latics fans must admit the most we could hope for this season is top half finish barring a monumental change in fortunes. This could be the reason why Ricketts has gone out on loan, to ease some of the financial burdens that signing a player like him brings. If we had the money then we would surely be signing a loan player to replace him right? I'm not sure whether he is the top earner at the club or not but rest assured the TTA will be far from happy having a player who is too good for this league as one of the top earners and having a total of 2 goals in return.

This whole situation stinks and i belive it's down to inexperience on both the TTA and Shez to sign Ricketts on a 3 year contract when the obvious associated risks are so high, he had barley kicked a ball in anger for 4 years, was sacked from Southend, releaseed from Preston and Leeds. I would go as far as saying that signing ricketts on a 3 year deal was an even bigger risk than signing Hughes. It's completely backfired.

The answer?? I have no idea but i think Shez and the TTA need some help. I'm not saying we should bring someone in to replace Shez but maybe a director who has been working in lower league football for a number of years. Crewe have Dario Gradi to help out chris holland and Dennis Wise had Ray Wilkins when he was at Millwall, that sort of old head.

When you go through all of Oldhams senior directors, management there is no real experience at this level. Shez is still learning, the TTA haven't been in football for long, tommy wright and dux are new to the senior set up.

The only signings I think i have been happy with that i think has improved our team since last season is Hazell and Davies because both have done alright for the team so far. The rest like Allot, Kalala, Thommo, KK, Ricketts, Crossley have failed to impress for me.

Just a thought anyway.

At the end of the day whether it's Shez or tha TTA this is obvisouly something deeper in the club than just a few bad signings. It doesn't matter who is to blame to but if you look at how inexperienced our whole senior management team is then there are gunna be stupid decisions like the porter saga, singing allot for a fee when we let him go for free, giving ricketts a 3 year contract etc....

It seems to me like the club are in a situation now which they haven't been in whilst the current management team has been in charge. We have spent money this summer and it's kicked us in the teeth as crowds are low due to our dreadful start to the season. Even the most optimistic latics fans must admit the most we could hope for this season is top half finish barring a monumental change in fortunes. This could be the reason why Ricketts has gone out on loan, to ease some of the financial burdens that signing a player like him brings. If we had the money then we would surely be signing a loan player to replace him right? I'm not sure whether he is the top earner at the club or not but rest assured the TTA will be far from happy having a player who is too good for this league as one of the top earners and having a total of 2 goals in return.

This whole situation stinks and i belive it's down to inexperience on both the TTA and Shez to sign Ricketts on a 3 year contract when the obvious associated risks are so high, he had barley kicked a ball in anger for 4 years, was sacked from Southend, releaseed from Preston and Leeds. I would go as far as saying that signing ricketts on a 3 year deal was an even bigger risk than signing Hughes. It's completely backfired.

The answer?? I have no idea but i think Shez and the TTA need some help. I'm not saying we should bring someone in to replace Shez but maybe a director who has been working in lower league football for a number of years. Crewe have Dario Gradi to help out chris holland and Dennis Wise had Ray Wilkins when he was at Millwall, that sort of old head.

When you go through all of Oldhams senior directors, management there is no real experience at this level. Shez is still learning, the TTA haven't been in football for long, tommy wright and dux are new to the senior set up.

The only signings I think i have been happy with that i think has improved our team since last season is Hazell and Davies because both have done alright for the team so far. The rest like Allot, Kalala, Thommo, KK, Ricketts, Crossley have failed to impress for me.

Just a thought anyway.

Couldn't have put it better myself and what I have been nibbling away at for the last couple of weeks. Bravo that man!

:chubb::sign0173::applause1::applause1::applause1:

Edited by oafcprozac

I am not surprised these kind of decisions are coming out from the club. Lets face it the side as gone backwards from last season without question. To be fair to Sheridan to try and replace Wellens and Porter at this level would be a hard task for any side, whereas Warne though he as his supporters on here wouldn't be hard to replace. The last home game saw the crowd drop below 5000 and can only see this being the norm unless fortunes change on the pitch, and even then the crowd won't be back initially.

I said the other week it's time for Sheridan to hold his hands up and say the signings in the main haven't worked out and get those players into his office with the very hard words "you've no future in this clubs plans" and make it known he wants their agents to start working hard on their behalf to move them on without the big pay handouts to go. Of course they don't have to leave they can sit on their contracts, however he needs to make it known they'll train with the kids everyday morning and afternoon if they want to milk this club. Then learn the mistakes and bring in the correct players with his new realised budget. I certainly believe Sheridan knows these players are not capable, just like he's shown with Ricketts. I hate to even dirty this board with reference to Taggart, but he plays hard ball when its required and Sheridan needs to add this to his armoury.

I have to say after the match Saturday and there was this reference to Sheridan saying I'll have to have a word with the owners about a loan striker, I got the feeling then that he was making it known into the public domain without TTA first being approached and that he had a good idea he'd be knocked back. That said TTA have in the past said no only for them to relent when the intial sensible answer softened in their minds. Anyway Shezisgod I totally agree with the players you identify that needs to be off loaded apart from KK unless we can get Wellens back.

Edited by Lags