Shez to ask TTA for money for a striker on loan.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne Andrews has finished his loan spell at Leeds, he's surplus to requirements at Coventry. That's not my suggestion but it's a possibility of where Shez might look.

Barn door & Banjo spring to mind....he has pace but couldn't score in a brothel. I'd like Shez to try for somebody like Phil Jevons who can't get in the side at Bristol City.

Barn door & Banjo spring to mind....he has pace but couldn't score in a brothel. I'd like Shez to try for somebody like Phil Jevons who can't get in the side at Bristol City.

Your not the first to mention Jeavons on here (I think Exile mentioned him as a possibility last week).

He could be a very good call as he is clearly out of favour at 'highflying Bristol City' and knows were the net is.

How did Jevons do last season? not so sure about him to be honest. With the current players we have I'd go for a decent big strong target man. Someone that Hughes, Davis and Wolfy could feed off. That way we could mix up our play to include the passing of the ball creating the space out wide or the more direct route bringing Davis' pace into play from the knock on's. Yep this sounds like Ricketts however I'd like this big strong fella to be more mobile and I don't want that to sound like a dig at Ricketts cos against Northampton he was our best player thou faded the last 20 mins.

The very fact I've plumped for a big target man the likes of which we had in Ricketts suggest that Sheridan has a problem in his midfield, which to my mind he has. Allott and Kalala need off loading and fresh players in. Taylor needs to pull his socks up (which at Forest am lead to be believe he did better) and Liddell needs the ball sooner and deliver it. I'd still put Liddell in the hole between the forwards and midfield, I think he'd create chances there, link play and actually score a few too.

Edited by Lags

Guest oa_exile
Your not the first to mention Jeavons on here (I think Exile mentioned him as a possibility last week).

He could be a very good call as he is clearly out of favour at 'highflying Bristol City' and knows were the net is.

There is no doubt in my opinion that Shez should go all out to sign Jevons , the man is a quality player in this League.

He is rotting in the reserves at Brizzie , 3 games including two sub appearances. >> Jevons <<

Yes that is a good return Exile.....I thought for some reason his move to a big club (Brizzle is big to Yeovil) fell flat. Ok I'll say if Jevons comes we need to off load another to allow a big fella in. Stand by the other stuff both Allott and Kalala need moving on and maybe Crossley (harsh on Crossley maybe but he's too old)

Edited by Lags

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :angry:

I'm sorry, but what is this... is Sheridan becoming Neil Warnock??? i.e - there is something not quite right at the club - I know! Lets add another striker! That will work!!!

This for me is a massive mistake - the problem is not our strikers, but the cutting edge in the team - what is the point in having a master finisher when we cant even get the ball to a position where they can score??

AND... we have potentially the best striker in the division coming back to fitness - in 20 mins yesterday HUghes showed he was fit, hungry, and very, very dangerous.... lets not make him look ordinary, just like we did to Ricketts, by not giving him anything to feed off....

Lets put this in context - I'm not saying that a striker of the calible of jevons (long regarded down here as homesick and desperate to move back to the north west) would not add to our team... however for me the number one priority has to be service, and the ability to break down a defence.... we need someone who can carry the ball - get behind defences and put things on a plate for Hughesy - before we do this then another striker is purely a novelty figure who will join Ricketts and Davies in getting frustrated at having no quality to feed off...

Oh well.... in Shez we tust! But with Davies, Hughes, Wolfy & Smalley - I fail to see the need for a 5th striker...

Guest oa_exile
Oh well.... in Shez we tust! But with Davies, Hughes, Wolfy & Smalley - I fail to see the need for a 5th striker...

*Cough* sorry Shez but also you have a "New" Striker , Hughes has not really played yet.

Also posted this before : Wolfy & Smalley at the moment , like Lambs to the slaughter ! , not a time for giving Kids a run in the 1st team.

so do u think that them lads can score goals for us? its becoming abit like last season with porter, if davies doesnt score we dont score. we cant rely on 1 person scorin all the goals for us because it will ruin his game, shez is right we need another striker, wolfy and smalley are only young lads and in my opinion arent ready to start for us yet, smalley was only a youth player last season so its a massive step up for the lad and it might put alot of pressure on the lad. i think hes better on the wing anyway.

every time we mension loan players the 1st 2 player that pop up are andrews and jevons. i dont think bristol want jevons to go orelse they would have let him go to crewe, and as for andrews why the hell would he want to come back here? everytime he plays against us he gets bad reception by alot of the crowd which is rediculas.

15 Goals from 31 appearances 2006-2007 , he has a good track record Lags

Take a look >>>>> >> Jevons <<

Sorry Brother gonna be pedantic it was 15 in 36 appearances. 10 off which in those appearances was as sub.

Still a good return and he's nearing the end of his contract (end of this season)

If you throw Lewis in there as well it would make whoever comes in the 6th striker...

...BUT I agree with Shez we need another body in there. Now's not the time for playing Wolfy, Deano and Lewis...we're stuck at the wrong end of the table and we need to pull away. You can't just throw a trio of youngsters who have one league goal between them and ask them to pull us out of the :censored:. Get a loan in, hopefully Jevons for a couple of months, keep bringing the young lads for a bit of a game at the end (maybe it's time to give Lewis a go) and get back up the table.

It's unfair and unwise to throw inexperienced youngsters in and expect them to score goals straight away.

Guest oa_exile
Sorry Brother gonna be pedantic it was 15 in 36 appearances. 10 off which in those appearances was as sub.

Still a good return and he's nearing the end of his contract (end of this season)

No worries Our Kid , but actually checking again it was 15 from 37 , missed the LC appearnce out :unsure:

So if your pedantic what does that make me ? :shock:

*Cough* lol we got there in the end :grin:

No worries Our Kid , but actually checking again it was 15 from 37 , missed the LC appearnce out :unsure:

So if your pedantic what does that make me ? :shock:

*Cough* lol we got there in the end :grin:

does it really matter if its in 34 35 or 36/7 appearances...hes a stiker who knows how to score.

that said a striker isnt enough,we need to ship one or both of allott or kalalal out,they arent capable of fighting us out of this mess were in.

we need some steel in there,someone who is willing to roll up there sleeves and get stuck in.

who i dont know....but we need new faces who can fight.

so do u think that them lads can score goals for us? its becoming abit like last season with porter, if davies doesnt score we dont score.

every

For a start - for me Davies would be out on his ear with his cronies Ricketts and Kalala - 1 down, 1 bout to go, and the third should be on his way too - he offers nothing for me on the pitch - Hughes and Smalley for me all the way.... and yes - i do think smalley is good enough - wolfy no, but smalley looked strong and direct yesterday (with flaws) but good enough for this level...

again... my point was this, its not that i wouldn't like another striker, its just we have bigger issues - another striker coming in now would just look so average - no matter who it is... we need to create clear cut chances before any striker can be effective.... with Lids struggling to get the game, and Taylor geting better but not quite there, these are the areas we need to look at....

Jevons would make a difference - I like him a lot as a player, and Jevo and hughesy would be exciting - however i'm sure the rest of the team could make them look poor and a spare part very quickly....

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :angry:

I'm sorry, but what is this... is Sheridan becoming Neil Warnock??? i.e - there is something not quite right at the club - I know! Lets add another striker! That will work!!!

AND... we have potentially the best striker in the division coming back to fitness - in 20 mins yesterday HUghes showed he was fit, hungry, and very, very dangerous.... lets not make him look ordinary, just like we did to Ricketts, by not giving him anything to feed off....

Agree, why give him more money? He made a John Halls of the budget in the summer. He needs to knuckle down and sort out why we are so toothless not throw money at it, we've got the players to score goals. Time to earn your money John..............

League Record 2007

P34 W10 D9 L15 F41 A39 Pts 39 Clean Sheets 8 Failed to Score 10

That is worse than relegation form AND with two different squads. Another striker will make no difference until we learn to keep clean sheets, teams only need to have one chance against us to bag. The defence is decent but defending starts from the front and the midfield need to shoulder the burden too. Especially Kilkenny, Taylor and Liddell who let us down week after week in their own half. Davies needs to get involved in is own half occasionally too. The players need to start playing as a team. We're in a scrap and Kilkenny is a luxury who will not raise his game enough to get us out of the position we are in, I am convinced of it. Whilst Allott and Kalala aren't technically as good they do battle and scrap and endeavour to play the right ball rather than believing they can win a game on their own AND they played all pre-season before the squad was disrupted by signing a player who was touted as the messiah despite him going missing week after week the last time he was here and despite his set-pieces continuing to hit the first man week after week. Rather than shipping out Allott and Kalala i'd thank KK for his efforts and send him back to Brum. Now is not the time for prima donnas.

My Team for Tranmere:

Beresford

Bertrand Stam Trotman Eardley

Kalala

Macdonald Allott

Liddell

Hughes Davies

Kalala to cover the back four, Macca to make runs as and when Allott to take care of the ball as he did so well in Pre-Season and the early part of the season. Liddell in the last chance saloon in the hole to close the gap between midfield and attack. This team for me is a tighter unit and the midfield is interchangeable. It will make us harder to break down and providing the movement is there create chances for Liddell and Hughes. As no doubt Craig 'Blind-Alley' Davies will still do his own thing anyway!

Edited by oafcprozac

For a start - for me Davies would be out on his ear with his cronies Ricketts and Kalala - 1 down, 1 bout to go, and the third should be on his way too - he offers nothing for me on the pitch - Hughes and Smalley for me all the way.... and yes - i do think smalley is good enough - wolfy no, but smalley looked strong and direct yesterday (with flaws) but good enough for this level...

again... my point was this, its not that i wouldn't like another striker, its just we have bigger issues - another striker coming in now would just look so average - no matter who it is... we need to create clear cut chances before any striker can be effective.... with Lids struggling to get the game, and Taylor geting better but not quite there, these are the areas we need to look at....

Jevons would make a difference - I like him a lot as a player, and Jevo and hughesy would be exciting - however i'm sure the rest of the team could make them look poor and a spare part very quickly....

Our biggest mistake mate was blowing a massive part of the budget on Crossley, Ricketts and Kilkenny. We could have brought in for example; Leon Clarke, signed a young Premiership kid on loan to cover GK and maybe the lad from Wigan Cwyka and still had a large amount of the budget left. Signing has-beens has bitten us on the arse (As it did Tinnion and Bristol City in 05/06), their ability 'has-been' and gone (KK apart who just flatters to deceive) , but their egos are very much in their pomp!

Edited by oafcprozac

Apart from scoring the vast amount of our goals.

Our biggest mistake mate was blowing a massive part of the budget on Crossley, Ricketts and Kilkenny. We could have brought in for example; Leon Clarke, signed a young Premiership kid on loan to cover GK and maybe the lad from Wigan Cwyka and still had a large amount of the budget left. Signing has-beens has bitten us on the arse (As it did Tinnion and Bristol City in 05/06), their ability 'has-been' and gone (KK apart who just flatters to deceive) , but their egos are very much in their pomp!

It's unbelievable that we didn't pick up Leon Clarke on loan.

Apart from scoring the vast amount of our goals.

I'm not gonna get into a debate about this - I have no time for your one line answers...

He has scored most of our goals, however you have to ask is that because of his ability, or simply because he was on the pitch at the time? By this I mean I believe someone else would offer the team far more than he does - and be able to be in the same place to score the goals he does....

I am trying to like Davies - I really am... but the more I see of him, and the attitude he has on the pitch, and hear about his alleged off the pitch/dressing room antics - the more I would rather see anyone but him in a blue shirt... like a couple of other people have said earlier today and last night - I am not going to pass judgement yet... he has potential, but I have a feeling that shez is looking for new striker to come in and replace him, not Hughes, smalley or Wolfy...

Davies is a man I want to like - he excites me, but so did jermaine Johnson - and he rapidly became my most detested player ever to wear the b&t purely because of his attitude - you need to show more than doing something decent 1 out of every 10 times you get the ball - fair enough, this 1 could lead to a goal... but the other 9 could have led to a goal for someone else....

I'm not gonna get into a debate about this - I have no time for your one line answers...

He has scored most of our goals, however you have to ask is that because of his ability, or simply because he was on the pitch at the time? By this I mean I believe someone else would offer the team far more than he does - and be able to be in the same place to score the goals he does....

I am trying to like Davies - I really am... but the more I see of him, and the attitude he has on the pitch, and hear about his alleged off the pitch/dressing room antics - the more I would rather see anyone but him in a blue shirt... like a couple of other people have said earlier today and last night - I am not going to pass judgement yet... he has potential, but I have a feeling that shez is looking for new striker to come in and replace him, not Hughes, smalley or Wolfy...

Davies is a man I want to like - he excites me, but so did jermaine Johnson - and he rapidly became my most detested player ever to wear the b&t purely because of his attitude - you need to show more than doing something decent 1 out of every 10 times you get the ball - fair enough, this 1 could lead to a goal... but the other 9 could have led to a goal for someone else....

I don't see Smalley coming anywhere close to doing and giving to the team what Davies does and I don't believe Shez thinks that either, if you look at Davies record before coming here you'll see he has done very well to get the goals he has which have been a combination of speed, skill and being in the right place at the right time.

Davies isn't the problem with this team, we won't magically shoot up the league playing wonderful football if Hughes (who has yet to prove he can be a goal threat) partners Smalley (who has looke like Bambi infront of goal at times ).

I don't see Smalley coming anywhere close to doing and giving to the team what Davies does and I don't believe Shez thinks that either, if you look at Davies record before coming here you'll see he has done very well to get the goals he has which have been a combination of speed, skill and being in the right place at the right time.

Davies isn't the problem with this team, we won't magically shoot up the league playing wonderful football if Hughes (who has yet to prove he can be a goal threat) partners Smalley (who has looke like Bambi infront of goal at times ).

Wowzers! Something I agree with SC!

You are spot on - Davies, or any of our strikers, is not the problem - giving them the service they deserve is..... the arguement over who should play, is very different to the arguement as to whether it would make a blind bit of difference who plays because of the terrible service they recieve..

Whoever plays is utterly irrelevant unless we find a way of getting behind defences, and giving our strikers space.... in my opinion I would play Hughes and Smalley (who you are right - needs to sort out his footwear and fast). Smalley showed yesterday he can stand up physically, and Hughes looked sharp - but as you say unproven... and lets see if they offer more to the team than Davies...

Davies has the potential to do well - but Shez has to look at what is best for the team.... as big Mr R has recently discovered.... Davies would be in my team - but he would either be on the right of a three, or on the right wing... I just dont think he gives enough in a front 2... yet....

... but back to the real issue - and what I said earlier on this thread we sort out how we are currently playing football, we may as well have a lampost up front for all the use a striker will be....

From where I was sat yesterday, there isn't a need for another striker; just a bit of minor tinkering. I have tried very hard to appreciate Davies, but still see him as a selfish player who is a glory seeker. Yep, he hit a humdinger at Huddersfield but, in general, he spends far too much time out on the wings trying to beat the entire defence on his own before releasing the ball. He's drawn to the touchline like a magnet instead of being in the middle and that left Smalley too isolated.

Hughes showed what a striker is all about although he was only on the pitch for 20 minutes and is still not 100% match fit. He fought for the ball, frightened their centre backs and only needs a bit more time to settle into regular 1st team football. The one I would unload (along with Davies) is Kalala. He is almost entirely defensive and produces very little.

We have enough quality in midfield; Macca looked much better yesterday, Allott was fine when he came on, Taylor had their full back on toast and beat him with ease going inside or outside, Liddell will always do something for you and Kilkenny dominated midfield. I don't see a slot for Kalala.

Strikers? Hughesy must start now, with Smalley (who will pick up the scraps and learn from him), or Wolfy (who will do the same) or.........

....... now you'll think I've really lost the plot. When all our centre backs are fit, we can pair up any combination of Gregan, Stam, Hazell or (God forbid) Thommo and that means Trotman, yes Trotman, can be used as a striker. He frightnens defenders to death when he goes up for set pieces, is tremendous in the air and he can hit a ball too. It worked with Ian Marshall, so why can't it happen again.

Right, now where's that application form for the home for the bewildered? :ktf: