Interesting article with Warney on the Yoevil OS...

He says he was offered a new contract last Jan only to be told by SHEZ not to sign it as he would get a better deal at the end of the year, only to then be told by SHEZ that he was not giving him a new contract..

I have heard before that he was told he would get a contract at the end of the season and didnt but did not know that he was actually offered one in January. What is Shez telling him not to sign one for as he will get a better deal?

surley our manager needs to get the club the best deal ie lowest wage possible not telling a player to hold out for more money?

I guess it doesnt really matter now anyway but thought it was an interesting comment IF TRUE

Guest sheridans_world

From www.ytfc.net

Initially Paul was extremely disappointed about the situation, but during his chat with www.ytfc.net this morning, Paul revealed that he is more than happy being a Glover.

"I loved playing for Oldham. He said

"Ronnie Moore took me there, we had a good team and I was comfortable with the situation.

"We had a brand new side and just missed the play-offs that season, but in the summer he left and John Sheridan took the helm.

"Again we had another good season and I had struck up a good partnership with Chris Porter and thoroughly enjoyed it.

"In the January I was offered a new contract but was advised by the Manager not to accept it as he knew that I would be offered a better one in the summer.

"Then at the end of the Season, I was told that he was releasing me, and I was heart broken to be honest.

"I still keep in contact with a few of the players like Andy Liddell, Sean Gregan and a few of the Oldham Fans text me from time to time to see how I am doing.

"But to be perfectly honest most of the players I played alongside left due to the Manager wanting to stamp his own identity on the team."

Oldham have had an up and down start to the season, winning at Leeds and knocking Everton out of the FA Cup, yet dropping points at home to Brighton and Hove Albion last weekend, however one real high point of the season seems to be Lee Hughes who has scored 7 goals in 12 League starts. "

I haven't seen Lee play this season. He said

"I played against him while he was at West Brom and he is a very good player, with a lot of pace.

"He is a good acquisition for Oldham. "It's going to be tough game for us, as Oldham are predominantly good away from home.

"As a team we need to be more consistent, but I would say that for a lot of teams in this League.

"I am not over the moon about how I have been playing, although I try my best, I don't think my form is amazing.

"However I am enjoying my time down here, my family are happy and so am I."

""But to be perfectly honest most of the players I played alongside left due to the Manager wanting to stamp his own identity on the team."

Quite ironic also that in October of this season, I was slated on here when I suggested that Shez didn't try hard enough to keep certain members of the side coz deep down he knew it was Ronnie's side that Shez steered into the playoffs. And that in the summer, I felt Shez made a conscience decision to build his own side over the next couple of years. Warne more or less confirms what I was saying all along.

So here's the question.....it might stick in some throats, it might be 100% what Shez thought in the summer but here goes......

Did Shez think.....I want MY own team? Moore built a side.....I took it on and it was partly successful but rather than build again on it......I want to pull it apart and make MY side?

Personally....I look at the side he had and I do feel he had a honeymoon. And I can't understand him ripping that last side apart to start again............BUT! If he did..............if he felt, I want MY side...................then surely, he deserves some time to make it, shape it, re-arrange it etc......

Edited by boundaryblue80

I would rather have Hughes / Davies than Warne....

I don't think its a "than"....more like "with"....Warne was always back up for Hughes and Davies, if he'd been kept by Shez but he didn't (he should've IMO.) And Warne even said last season he knew his role in the side, should someone come in....that being, playing from the bench. How we could do with it now!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Ive just been onto Warney, i told him he is not allowed to score tomorrow against us just like all our old players always do. His reply was "Theres not much chance of that, but my hearts still with the Latics so i dont count as an old player".

I hope he gets a great reception on the 16th Feb just for that comment alone.

I don't think its a "than"....more like "with"....Warne was always back up for Hughes and Davies, if he'd been kept by Shez but he didn't (he should've IMO.) And Warne even said last season he knew his role in the side, should someone come in....that being, playing from the bench. How we could do with it now!!!

i disagree - warnes legs were going - hes scored one goal and he says himself that his form hasnt been brilliant, maybe because he is getting on a bit? id rather have the youth coming through personally, just wish they would get more than 10 minutes here and there.

As far as I know Niki it is true because if I remember correctly I had a bit of a rant on JK Latics about it "serving them right" over the Porter affair.

Interesting article with Warney on the Yoevil OS...

He says he was offered a new contract last Jan only to be told by SHEZ not to sign it as he would get a better deal at the end of the year, only to then be told by SHEZ that he was not giving him a new contract..

I have heard before that he was told he would get a contract at the end of the season and didnt but did not know that he was actually offered one in January. What is Shez telling him not to sign one for as he will get a better deal?

surley our manager needs to get the club the best deal ie lowest wage possible not telling a player to hold out for more money?

I guess it doesnt really matter now anyway but thought it was an interesting comment IF TRUE

We was working on the idea of having Hughes / Davies / Ricketts at the time which on paper look good.....

Hughes / Davies defo to lead and as backup I think we can do better than Warne....really wasnt a threat on goal.....

Edited by oafc0000

i disagree - warnes legs were going - hes scored one goal and he says himself that his form hasnt been brilliant, maybe because he is getting on a bit? id rather have the youth coming through personally, just wish they would get more than 10 minutes here and there.

You don't think he could do a job from the bench then, as I mention above? I've no problem with ppl saying his legs were going (not sure if I agree they were, but even so...)....I've said it about Lids and hence I'd play him from the bench also when fit. Warne would only start games when Davies/Hughes is injured/suspended. And thus, in them cases, the youth gets the chance from the bench.

Edited by boundaryblue80

As far as I know Niki it is true because if I remember correctly I had a bit of a rant on JK Latics about it "serving them right" over the Porter affair.

I belive it would be true, he would not come out with it if it wasnt.

KARMA - We :censored: on Warne, Porter :censored: on us

You don't think he could do a job from the bench then, as I mention above? I've no problem with ppl saying his legs were going (not sure if I agree they were, but even so...)....I've said it about Lids and hence I'd play him from the bench also when fit. Warne would only start games when Davies/Hughes is injured/suspended. And thus, in them cases, the youth gets the chance from the bench.

To be honest i wouldnt have been against him being a squad player but with Shez's reluctance to use subs i would probably say no to him being on the bench too and keep the youth on there instead...i personally feel we often dont give the youth enough chances...maybe they are not ready? i dont go to youth/reserves but take Wolfenden for example hes been nearly breaking through for years now, i feel his time is up and he wont make it but if he had had more games earlier maybe it would have been a different story?

Yet chipped in with 11 goals in a 33 goal partnership with Porter (the out and out goalscorer.)

Bigger picture.....

Latics career

103 Apperances (inc six as sub) 21 goals

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10877

Also he didnt score after febuaray for us....

He hit a sweet spot like nothing he had done ever before in a four month spell....

Edited by oafc0000

To be honest i wouldnt have been against him being a squad player but with Shez's reluctance to use subs i would probably say no to him being on the bench too and keep the youth on there instead...i personally feel we often dont give the youth enough chances...maybe they are not ready? i dont go to youth/reserves but take Wolfenden for example hes been nearly breaking through for years now, i feel his time is up and he wont make it but if he had had more games earlier maybe it would have been a different story?

It's a difficult balance. I agree that the youth often gets overlooked. Where Wolfy's concerned, I just don't rate him as highly as others do (or maybe I should say, I do think he's got some talent, but for me you can only play him in a front 3 forward line so CB's can't bully him so easily). I agree that he'd benefit from loaning him out and then look at him again. He is young still and I think the problem for us is that we need the youth to come in and hit the ground running as quick as possible. A side's very rarely successful without a strong bench and for years we've had youth on it and looked at it during games and thought, how's it going to change/help us maintain a win, during games. The Brighton game was a perfect example of that. Hence, my preferring of a Warne on the bench than a Wolfy or another kid. Or both....no problem with that. Have a GK, DF, MD and 2 forwards on it. Ideally.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Bigger picture.....

Latics career

103 Apperances (inc six as sub) 21 goals

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10877

Also he didnt score after febuaray for us....

He hit a sweet spot like nothing he had done ever before in a four month spell....

Scored 10 in season 1 and 11 in season 2 for us. If that ain't good enough for the 2nd striker behind the likes of Porter who's the goal poacher, then nothing will satisfy!

Scored 10 in season 1 and 11 in season 2 for us. If that ain't good enough for the 2nd striker behind the likes of Porter who's the goal poacher, then nothing will satisfy!

Bloody hell...lol....I dont think I have ever spoken to someone I can disagree with so easily :) Are we going have this tit for tat on every post I do :)

NO ONE is doubting he had a good four month spell for us....but what came before and what came afterwards wasnt good enough. Looking at his career he isnt a player you would say would of repeated that four month spell every again. He was in the form of his life. Where was the goals at the business end of the season ? and He wasnt the 2nd striker behind Porter... I wouldnt describe Davies as being second behind Hughes... They are both there to do a job, score goals!!!

I doubt many people will agree 21 goals in 103 apperances is the sign of a good forward :lol:

Edited by oafc0000

Bloody hell...lol....I dont think I have ever spoken to someone I can disagree with so easily :) Are we going have this tit for tat on every post I do :)

NO ONE is doubting he had a good four month spell for us....but what came before and what came afterwards wasnt good enough. Looking at his career he isnt a player you would say would of repeated that four month spell every again.....

Yeah, we probably will.....simply coz you're talking :censored: again, time after time. 4 month spell??????

10 goals in season 1!!!!!!!!!

11 goals in season 2!!!!!!!!!

He didn't have just a good 4 months last season......we ain't gunna agree. Next....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Yeah, we probably will.....simply coz you're talking :censored: again, time after time. 4 month spell??????

10 goals in season 1!!!!!!!!!

11 goals in season 2!!!!!!!!!

He didn't have just a good 4 months last season......we ain't gunna agree. Next....

Nicely put as always :)

Im wrong..over 6 months...

Season 2

September to Febuary

11 goals

No goals after 17th Feb

Season 1

August to March

10 goals no goals after 18th March

Went missing at the business end didnt give enough over the whole of the season.

You like slow, ageing never has beens.....I dont...your right...we wont agree :)

Nicely put as always :)

Im wrong..over 6 months...

Season 2

September to Febuary

11 goals

No goals after 17th Feb

Season 1

August to March

10 goals no goals after 18th March

Went missing at the business end didnt give enough over the whole of the season.

You like slow, ageing never has beens.....I dont...your right...we wont agree :)

"Looking at his career he isnt a player you would say would of repeated that four month spell ever again"

Nope...so poor, he did it twice...and a 6mth one to boot!

Lol...Supertaylor changes his story...yet again...so it ain't 4mths in 1 season now...it's 6 months out of 9 in season 1 and 4 in season 2....and that ain't good enough...and it's all Warnes fault the team didn't perform at "the business end"....ok then! Carry on....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lol...Supertaylor changes his story...yet again...so it ain't 4mths in 1 season now...it's 6 months out of 9 in season 1 and 4 in season 2....and that ain't good enough...and it's all Warnes fault the team didn't perform at "the business end"....ok then! Carry on....

where did i say it was all Warnes fault ?

And when im wrong...I correct myself....that called being a grown up....

In the same time Porter scored three important goals....including the one against Chesterfield.....

Edited by oafc0000

We was working on the idea of having Hughes / Davies / Ricketts at the time which on paper look good.....

Hughes / Davies defo to lead and as backup I think we can do better than Warne....really wasnt a threat on goal.....

I cant believe it was that planned... you tellin me that at the point warne was released Shez knew that davies was coming in??? I can bloomin well guarantee he didnt know anything about Ricketts.....

No where near that calculated.... unfortunately he changed his mind on whether warney's legs could take it... simple as....