I cant believe it was that planned... you tellin me that at the point warne was released Shez knew that davies was coming in??? I can bloomin well guarantee he didnt know anything about Ricketts.....

No where near that calculated.... unfortunately he changed his mind on whether warney's legs could take it... simple as....

No I agree with you....it wasnt as calculated as that....not trying to suggest that...

But Shez would of known about hughes and davies being avilable at the time.....and he knew he didnt really want Warne... Im just saying he knew what he wanted......so he freed up the wage bill and made a move/started the search...

Edited by oafc0000

NO ONE is doubting he had a good four month spell for us....but what came before and what came afterwards wasnt good enough.

Ironically I would say that statement would be better suited to Chris Porter.

I doubt many people will agree 21 goals in 103 apperances is the sign of a good forward :lol:

I agree, but nor is it the sign of a bad one. :lol:

Guest sheridans_world

I think it was a good idea getting rid of Warney personally, as his form so far this season has shown. I would rather have the room on the wage bill. 10 goals a season or not, coming from championship Rotherham he was bound to be on a nice packet.

They money has been and will be better spent i think. Davies will come good, back-up striker for Hughes and Davies a priority now.

Starting to think that Wolfy isnt up to it, going the way of Chris Hall. (Well a non-league regular anyway). If we sign a striker in the next 12 days, i'd cut Wolfy loose on loan to a league two club until summer then make a decision on his future.

Kind of like Mark Allott :grin: 183 apperances and 33 goals when he was with us as a striker

I think it was a good idea getting rid of Warney personally, as his form so far this season has shown. I would rather have the room on the wage bill. 10 goals a season or not, coming from championship Rotherham he was bound to be on a nice packet.

They money has been and will be better spent i think. Davies will come good, back-up striker for Hughes and Davies a priority now.

Starting to think that Wolfy isnt up to it, going the way of Chris Hall. (Well a non-league regular anyway). If we sign a striker in the next 12 days, i'd cut Wolfy loose on loan to a league two club until summer then make a decision on his future.

I agree...I am also starting to question Wolfy....

Ironically I would say that statement would be better suited to Chris Porter.

Fair point....but...

Chris Porter...good striker in a side not play well = 3 goals (1 very important)

Paul Warne...very average striker in a side not playing well = 0 goals

Thats the difference.... Not really expecting two top strikers.... although one very good and one good isnt beyond us I feel....aka Hughes and Davies...

Edited by oafc0000

Totally agree - Warney would have been on more money than Davies i'd imagine... another striker is now, as is well publicised, Shez's number 1 priority....

As for wolfy, well, firstly - is he not on a contract that runs to the end of next season?? - so that would be his timescale to "come good" - but he needs games.... surely a bury, or altrincham would appreciate his services for a few games.... otherwise I tend to agree with the comments of a certain individual *cough* , who shall remain nameless *cough* who was sat behind me at cheltenham :wink: that "he will never make it in proffessional football"

""But to be perfectly honest most of the players I played alongside left due to the Manager wanting to stamp his own identity on the team.""

Isn't it a manager's job to stamp their own identity on a team? If players are leaving for that reason they obviously think they are bigger than the manager and team and club so thus I think we're better off without them.

Although i was a big fan of Warne,i still believe that the decision to release him was the right one!

Shez has replaced him with a much younger player in Davies(who has already notched as many goals as Warne scored last term,with half a season to play)

Given better all round team displays during the first half of this season i think that Davies would have scored more goals and contributed more to the team.

Maybe we need Liddel back,to provide better service for the strikers :tongue1:

Although i was a big fan of Warne,i still believe that the decision to release him was the right one!

Shez has replaced him with a much younger player in Davies(who has already notched as many goals as Warne scored last term,with half a season to play)

Agreed.

Still looking forward to applauding him tomorrow (not when he scores) in appreciation for the enjoyment he gave me with his 100% effort last season.

Telling the guy that he had a contract waiting for him at the end of the season is simply unfair though.

And most people hated Porter because he said he'd sign a new deal if he wasn't sold last January. What goes around comes around. I like Warney, he's a good squad player, would have been ideal me thinks. Anyone who thinks Liddell stikk has the legs needs to take a second look, he's slow and his technical ability to skin players counts for nothing as he doesn't have the legs to beat a man. Although he's definitely an impact player from the bench.

Telling the guy that he had a contract waiting for him at the end of the season is simply unfair though.

And most people hated Porter because he said he'd sign a new deal if he wasn't sold last January. What goes around comes around. I like Warney, he's a good squad player, would have been ideal me thinks. Anyone who thinks Liddell stikk has the legs needs to take a second look, he's slow and his technical ability to skin players counts for nothing as he doesn't have the legs to beat a man. Although he's definitely an impact player from the bench.

i would of liked us to keep him as a squad player,like has been said the last 20 mins to run into the corners and make a bit of space for others.

shez was always going to get rid of moores players,every manager does it regardless of wether he brings in better players or not,just to prove a point.

bit unfair if he told him to wait knowing full well he wasnt keeping him,in an ordinary job you could take them to a tribunal over it.

if shez was to leave next season who ever comes in would replace all shez's signings,because it wouldnt be his team.

liddell isnt the answer,a young attacking winger is what we need,when was the last time liddell skinned anybody before crossing in for a goal.

Ive just been onto Warney, i told him he is not allowed to score tomorrow against us just like all our old players always do. His reply was "Theres not much chance of that, but my hearts still with the Latics so i dont count as an old player".

I hope he gets a great reception on the 16th Feb just for that comment alone.

:imnotworthy:

i would of liked us to keep him as a squad player,like has been said the last 20 mins to run into the corners and make a bit of space for others.

shez was always going to get rid of moores players,every manager does it regardless of wether he brings in better players or not,just to prove a point.

bit unfair if he told him to wait knowing full well he wasnt keeping him,in an ordinary job you could take them to a tribunal over it.

if shez was to leave next season who ever comes in would replace all shez's signings,because it wouldnt be his team.

liddell isnt the answer,a young attacking winger is what we need,when was the last time liddell skinned anybody before crossing in for a goal.

When was the last time Beckham skinned anybody before crossing for a goal!

it is the quality of the cross/pass that matters,not the ability to run a sub 10 second 100 metres!!!

When was the last time Beckham skinned anybody before crossing for a goal!

it is the quality of the cross/pass that matters,not the ability to run a sub 10 second 100 metres!!!

Agreed. Ricky Holden didn't need to skin anyone, but he was probably the best crosser of a ball with either foot in the world.

Agreed. Ricky Holden didn't need to skin anyone, but he was probably the best crosser of a ball with either foot in the world.

Indeed, a bit like Beckham has been world class at crossing from deep. Andy Liddell....he's good, when he's advanced far enough forward. As he did before the legs went. And like he could at the Tramps, as Hughes brilliantly sucked in the FB, slipped in Lids and he put a great cross for Davies to nod home. Sadly though, he ain't in those positions and from deep...well, he doesn't cross from deep, he just threads it back into midfield and the defence fills in. Or back to Eardley who also ain't Holden or Beckham.

Warney was very quiet today, but he should have scored with a good chance which fell to him. When he was subbed he got a good ovation from our fans. After the final whistle, he came back on the pitch to shake hands with our players and we gave him another ovation.

Glad to hear that! Was a great servant for the club and was hoping we'd give him a good reception. Also glad he didn't score against us- proof that not abusing ex-players only backfires??

Just to add another factor to the Warne debate. He may not have been the most prolific striker as has been posted, although alongside a 20 goal a season man 10/11 goals is ok. But from my point of view he brought something else to the team; we always hear from Managers/Coaches/Pundits that defending starts from the front and Warne was a master at this. His constant chasing down of defenders when they were in possesion meant they were unable to pick a decent pass, they lumped it up field and meant it was 50:50 that we could get the ball back.

He really is looking forward to coming up here on 16th feb. He is staying up here for the weekend and going out with Lidds and Pogs. He is even bringing his family up here as they all miss the club.

He also did promise that if he did score on Saturday or at our place he will NOT celebrate in the slightest. :wink: