Brown 7 - What little he had to do he did well

Ferdinand 7 - What little he had to do he did well

Terry - 7 What little he had to do he did well and got a goal

Cole - 7 What little he had to do he did well

Beckham - 7 Couple of great crosses / freekicks and an assist

Hardgreaves - 7 Solid display

Lampard - 6 did very little

Gerrard - 8 Man of the match and involved in everything...good goal

Defoe - 5 wasted to many chances / england career over?

Rooney - 7 involved in everything but failed to find that killer touch

Joe Cole - 6 nothing to do

Barry - 7 good involved straight away and great ball for Gerrard

Bentley - 5 Produced nothing....not a patch on Beckham...

Bridge - 6 What little he had to do he did well

Johnson - 6 What little he had to do he did well

Overall - good if not boring performance against a poor second rate team.....still looks a long way off being good enough to beat anyone decent...

Key postion battles for England next season

Beckham vs Bentley - Beckham

Midfield - Gerrard vs Lampard vs Hardgreaves vs Cole vs Barry......rotation seems to be the key here I feel depending on the oppostion

I agreed with commantators that the key for England is getting Gerrard and Rooney clicking....

I think the rest of the sqaud picks itself....

Edited by oafc0000

Was disappiinted with Bentley - he needs to start performing for England. Hopefully he'll start on Weds. I still think he's the future for the right hand side, but right now Beckham would get the nod.

Gerrard and Rooney were the heartbeat - finally a chance for Rooney to show a glimpse of what he can do for England in his best position. Gerrard was effective coming in from the left. Hargreaves and Barry pick themselves for me. Main question still seems to be who to put in front of Rooney. Defoe got into some superb positions but wasted them.

Main question still seems to be who to put in front of Rooney. Defoe got into some superb positions but wasted them.

If Owen is fit then for me he is defo the man. Quick and perfect scoring record....its a no brainer.... Abit of a problem after that though...who is the third man ?

I think you need someone quick and pacey in front of Rooney. Defoe just isnt taking his chances and I cant see him getting another chance soon. I would like to see what Ashton can offer..... Crouch is good and scores goals but he lacks the pace to be effective for 90 mins I feel....more of a sub....

I should add - it's difficult to know how much to take from tonight. USA were surprisingly bad. League One at best. So much for them being a rising force in 'soccer'... :laught16:

Agree with that....but with them being that bad you would of expected the likes of Defo and Bentley to have shown what they can do.....dissapoitning....

If Owen is fit then for me he is defo the man. Quick and perfect scoring record....its a no brainer.... Abit of a problem after that though...who is the third man ?

I think you need someone quick and pacey in front of Rooney. Defoe just isnt taking his chances and I cant see him getting another chance soon. I would like to see what Ashton can offer..... Crouch is good and scores goals but he lacks the pace to be effective for 90 mins I feel....more of a sub....

Owen probably is best choice when fit, but that's slightly complicated now by the fact he's playing deeper for Newcastle - i.e. Rooney's position. If he keeps scoring though, he's got to be the man.

I'd like to see Ashton, but again he's more of a second striker playing off the front man (Ashton IS Sheringham).

Agree on Crouch as a sub.

I should add - it's difficult to know how much to take from tonight. USA were surprisingly bad. League One at best. So much for them being a rising force in 'soccer'... :laught16:

Great to see Rooney not liking being subed throwing his rattle out of the pram :angry:

That shows passion mind you if he would have stayed on he would have been sent off the red mist was coming down again

Lampard not a patch on Gerrard

Defoe got into good positions just not his night

Ratings

James 6 - Nothing to do

Brown 7 - What little he had to do he did well

Ferdinand 7 - What little he had to do he did well

Terry - 7 What little he had to do he did well and got a goal

Cole - 7 What little he had to do he did well

Beckham - 7 Couple of great crosses / freekicks and an assist

Hardgreaves - 7 Solid display

Lampard - 6 did very little

Gerrard - 8 Man of the match and involved in everything...good goal

Defoe - 5 wasted to many chances / england career over?

Rooney - 7 involved in everything but failed to find that killer touch

Joe Cole - 6 nothing to do

Barry - 7 good involved straight away and great ball for Gerrard

Bentley - 5 Produced nothing....not a patch on Beckham...

Bridge - 6 What little he had to do he did well

Johnson - 6 What little he had to do he did well

Overall - good if not boring performance against a poor second rate team.....still looks a long way off being good enough to beat anyone decent...

Key postion battles for England next season

Beckham vs Bentley - Beckham

Midfield - Gerrard vs Lampard vs Hardgreaves vs Cole vs Barry......rotation seems to be the key here I feel depending on the oppostion

I agreed with commantators that the key for England is getting Gerrard and Rooney clicking....

I think the rest of the sqaud picks itself....

dont think defoes england career over.. we played really well tonight.. though there were a number of times we played the long ball and ball retention is really important.. but otherwise really good....... new england captain???

Few thoughts

I thought Cashley played well.

Barry was excellent, but then I've liked him for years and I can always spot a top midfielder, as BP1960 could tell you.

Gerrard - flat track bully. Able to do as he pleased against crap opposition, just as he can with Liverpool against good opposition because he is in charge there and can chase the glory, even if it means the team get shafted. No reason shown that he is worth playing in a team, but enough to remind you that he could be one of the best players in the world.

Beckham - Wes Brown will be tired tonight.

Joe Cole - a bit flat, but England's best and most committed player over the past couple of years.

Defoe - thought he was decent actually. Spooned a couple, but at times his runs enlivened play that was flatter than a witch's tits. Owen is clearly better but Defoe can hold his boots for him. Spurs are, in a strange policy for them, fools for spunking a fortune on Bent when they had him sitting on his arse.

"JT" - easy game as he wasn't challenged by a pacey attack and without a meat-grinding machine in front of him to hide his blatant inadequacies as a top flight defender.

Rooney - potty mouthed, and England's best player by a mile. Again. But how to get it out of him?

"Lamps" - apparently played.

I don't know why so many people were expecting Rio to be captain tomorrow. Capello said when he first came in that he would give each of his potential captains one game with the armband before making his final decision. Rio has had his game.

Beckham is the obvious choice for tomorrow. The game has been arranged for the following reasons (allegedly).

1) We want Jack Warner's vote when it comes to getting the 2018 World Cup

2) We have been given a significant amount of money to play over there

3) We were given full autonomy over all TV rights for the game

4) Brian Barwick and friends wanted an all expenses paid trip to the Carribean

5) It was an easy way to organise a game without all the usual hassl of dealing with a large number of fans who wanted to travel

6) We were not good enough to qualify for the Euros and so require a testing game

More than any game I can remember, this is for completely political and financial reasons so step forward Mr Beckham, your stage is set.

In my limited opinion of international football, he's decided on his captain (Terry) and as he's already stated he would be rotating it, he's given it to someone that won't be doing it full time (Yer man) and one that will make that Warner chap happy.

Oh yeah, and we're not in that Euro thing anyway, so no need to play Wales or the Jocks as a practise.