Gregan and Liddell

No problem at all with centre half and keeper hammering out an understanding in the pre-season friendlies to ensure things are all ship shape in time for the Millwall game.

I would probably play Gregan and Hazell, but Stam is no mug and was part of a fairly successful defence last season - so good competition for places. If Thompson is fit he may show the doubters (including me) that he's a better player than he was able to show last season. From what I see of the squad, it looks like Eardley and Lomax remaining at full back. I do think we're a full back light squad wise in defence though and playing the likes of Hazell / Taylor as full backs must be seen as an absolute no!

A fully fit Gregan will be less likely to make those errors than the bloke short of fitness / match practice.

Not sure who is going to make up the midfield alongside Allott. Would assume Taylor, but competition for places will be important to keep him on his toes. Whittaker, Maher, Lee and Smalley would proably be a touch ahead of an aging Lids, but he's no mug and will deliver accuracy in to the heart of the penalty area when needed.

Up front we are spoilt for choice.

Alessander could partner anybody. The guy is class and will probably play much of his career at a higher level. I would probably go with a fit Hughes and Davies though. Not seen O'Grady, but people on here seem impressed.

Ultimately, we have genuine competition for places.

Sheridan can have no excuses this season. He has the squad in place. Does he know who he's going to play? What formation? What options he'll change to when we're 1-0 up? How he'll chase a game down when we're a goal behind? How he'll turn a draw in to a win with 10 minutes left?

Big squad. Good players. Should improve on eighth. Let's hit the ground running!

Edited by opinions4u

Having watched the game on channel M could it be that Gregan's error was a misjudgement but the real error came from the linesman in realising he didn't touch it and so the Derby player was offside?

As to the Gregan/Liddell debate Oldham Sheridan summed it up quite nicely and I don't feel it necessary to add to his words