Keith Gumbs

He was playing up front in the highlights I've just watched.

Not quite a legend !

AR wanted to sign him in the close season of '99, I think, but was refused international clearance.

Also came with his mate whose name escapes me.

Was/Is a forward.

I definetly remember a picture of these two West Indians footballers standing with the manager, umbrella aloft, looking round a sodden Boundary Park.

Edited by Chris Ogden

I think he/they turned out in a few reserve games, Gumbs looked no bad if I recall. I think we couldn't sign them because St Kitts & Nevis are ranked on FIFA's sliding scale lower than the Dog & Duck third XI. This coupled with the fact that we were in the third division (old money) meant that a work permit was refused. Had Mr Gumbs wanted to play for a Priemiership team I'm sure he would have got one, I seem to recall Mr Hardy tanting as much at the time.

Didn't Dwight Yorke get a work permit for Villa, despite Trinidad & Tobago being ranked at a similar level to St Kitts at the time - I seem to remember that was why we felt agrieved.

I could just be making it up, though :unsure:

I think he/they turned out in a few reserve games, Gumbs looked no bad if I recall. I think we couldn't sign them because St Kitts & Nevis are ranked on FIFA's sliding scale lower than the Dog & Duck third XI. This coupled with the fact that we were in the third division (old money) meant that a work permit was refused. Had Mr Gumbs wanted to play for a Priemiership team I'm sure he would have got one, I seem to recall Mr Hardy tanting as much at the time.

Wrexham signed players ranked lower than Keith, but I won't have it said that the fact that son of Taggart played for them had anything to do with it. :wink: