hughes injured, stam out, gregan out

Why play Hughes vs Dale, then not in the tougher tie vs Burnley, then stick him in vs Morecambe? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The Stam thing is just another indication of the lack of games (ressies!) and ain't a surprise to me. Thought he looked alright until he went off...was picking up that sharpness only for it to be taken away, possibly due to being thrown into a 1st team game than building up his fitness in slower paced ressie games. Oh well.

I didn't go tonight - but I thought the decision to play hughes was a bad one. Hughes' fitness record isn't good and I hope he's fir for saturday cos without him, I think we might stuggle.

Don't think you'll see a more obivous difference of a Latics side with Hughes to one without, as you saw tonight. Carved them open endlessly...him and Whitaker just mind read one another at times. Then off he goes and Morecambe come a bit more into it. Will be Shez's biggest mistake of the season so far if Hughes is out injured...I'm hoping it's only precautionary.

PS Hughes needs some 6-10yd and 1 on 1 training :wink: The hard stuff he does no problem but scoring pens or clean thru, he just keeps fluffing them.

Why play Hughes vs Dale, then not in the tougher tie vs Burnley, then stick him in vs Morecambe? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The Stam thing is just another indication of the lack of games (ressies!) and ain't a surprise to me. Thought he looked alright until he went off...was picking up that sharpness only for it to be taken away, possibly due to being thrown into a 1st team game than building up his fitness in slower paced ressie games. Oh well.

I don't follow the ressies, but weren't we getting dicked 6-0 every game last year? I'd be worried if a first team defender was strolling his way through that at half pace. It's surely not right to use him picking up a random injury in a crappy mean-nothing game to argue that he should have played in another mean-nothing game to prepare him. He's a bit of a crock, and he got crocked in what was effectively a second string game. Hughes you might argue about - I don't think he's right up to speed yet (which is something for the opposition to worry about) and if everything physically was looking good for him I can see the sense in letting him play. He felt something and was taken off straight away - common sense. Hopefully it was something and nothing, but if he has a recurrence of an underlying problem then tonight wouldn't have made or broken it.

I don't follow the ressies, but weren't we getting dicked 6-0 every game last year? I'd be worried if a first team defender was strolling his way through that at half pace. It's surely not right to use him picking up a random injury in a crappy mean-nothing game to argue that he should have played in another mean-nothing game to prepare him. He's a bit of a crock, and he got crocked in what was effectively a second string game. Hughes you might argue about - I don't think he's right up to speed yet (which is something for the opposition to worry about) and if everything physically was looking good for him I can see the sense in letting him play. He felt something and was taken off straight away - common sense. Hopefully it was something and nothing, but if he has a recurrence of an underlying problem then tonight wouldn't have made or broken it.

It'll be iteresting to see what team is put out for the Ressies on Wednesday against Derby. Any more injuries and our 'super squad' will be decimated for Saturday.

Don't agree on Hughes at all. Yeah, he possibly isn't up to speed yet but the way to get him there isn't playing him Saturday (including travel too) and then 3 days later. Gradual is far better than overworking him IMO. And if it is an underlying problem, 7 days rest would have been better than "braking it" out.

As for the ressies, this was my view only 7 days ago...

The cups we're in at reserve level aren't sufficient enough (ie. numbers of games) to keep the size of our squad satisfied. I think people are looking at last season and basing it as the norm...we've never had a season for injuries like it and it came at a time where we went into a tougher league. It was bad timing/luck but not a reason to pull out of playing in a reserve league, as far as I'm concerned.

Hughes should not have played last night full stop.

There was nothing to be gained by him playing in a meaningless game and a whole lot to lose i.e Hughes for 3/4 weeks or maybe more, he is quite fragile and injury prone so absoutely no need to take unecessary risks with him.

Stam, well prior to last season he was nearly always injured so maybe normal service has been resumed with him.

Hope we can get Gregan something like fit for Saturday or we will maybe have to fall back on Thompson. :blink::unsure::ohno::omg:

last seasons reserve side got battered every week because the majority of them were in the first team to cover for injuries..

dux could only field a team consisting mainly of kids and acadamy players,16 year olds against tried and proven players doesnt work.....

deffo didnt need to play hughes,davies was the first choice as he had missed 3 games and has a lot to prove and make up for.....stam will always suffer injuries if he isnt playing regular,he gets knocks n niggles....with a league game on saturday i would have liked to have seen him rest a few decent players and give others a chance who are not getting games.....but i think he got it wrong as he wanted to make up for the burnly game where he got roasted for not playing a stronger team......

i will still take promotion over the two league cup games so far......

he had to play 6 of the starting squad from saturday.

I would have played:

Lomax,

Eardley,

Hazell,

Whittaker,

Taylor,

Allessandra,

Regardless of the result after an hour, (Cos I honestly have no interest in the JPT at all) Allesandra, Lomax and whittaker would have come off. (Baring injures)

Hughesy is a bad lad if he decided to play with a niggle - he obviously thought that he could run it off and who's to say it wouldn't have occurred during the game at Tranmere (or in training). It needs sorting and we can't be a one-man team.

We might say it's a nothing competition, but, it does represent a relatively easy route to Wembley if you can avoid teams like Leeds and Leicester etc., and the money comes in handy as well, therefore using a strong team is justified, but then again, the lack of stiffs games means we need to use these competitions to give a decent level of match practice to the fringe players.

As for injuries, well, the squads big enough to prevent a repeat of last season's nightmare *crosses fingers*.

fair do - but to be fair, its been the same team.

I remember posting earler in pre sesson that I didn't think hughes would play in 1/2 the games this season due to injuries and thats why I wouldn't back him to be the leagues top scorer. Has he ever been fully fit with us? I dont think so. If the squad cant cope then they players brought in aren't good enough. It should be able to cope with one player missing.

The stam and gregan out (if true- wasgoing on what was reported last night) should be worse. Two players in the same position leaving our 4th choice centre half playing.

Edited by pukka

We might say it's a nothing competition, but, it does represent a relatively easy route to Wembley if you can avoid teams like Leeds and Leicester etc., and the money comes in handy as well, therefore using a strong team is justified, but then again, the lack of stiffs games means we need to use these competitions to give a decent level of match practice to the fringe players.

The cash would come in handy but wasn't it said that you lose cash for staging games until you actually reach the final. Makes no sense at all.

That 6 player rule is daft. Only brought in because teams really didn't and most still don't care about this competition, especially in its very early stages.

Would any club miss the JPT? I don't think so.

Wish we would take it seriously 1 season. great chance to go to wembley!

Edited by laticsmad

The cash would come in handy but wasn't it said that you lose cash for staging games until you actually reach the final. Makes no sense at all.

True, I suppose the cost of staging the game is not helped the consistently low attendances and having to offer cut-price admission, which even then, doesn't tempt the crowds in.

We did once. Reached the area final against Wrexham. Talbot got sacked the same season and we stayed up on the last day of the season.

and some might forget that it was Ronnie moore who kept us up. (not saying you roytonbluelad)