Poetic justice

Person states an opinion.

Lots of people on this board respond by stating "facts".

Not the first time on this board, if someone states an opinion that does not conform, the responses tend to tell them they are wrong. Not that they have a different opinion, but willing to accept others may disagree.

I am happy with the team/perfromances, but I still want to discuss things Oldham on this board. Just because we are winning it doesn't mean that we all have to be 100% Happy Clappy Happy and not see anything worth discussing that we are not happy with.

But for the record I will still shout get the ball in the box For Fricks Sake.

I agree with you Scapegoat - it was too early to be shielding the ball in the corner. Don't worry about the siege mentalitists (is that a real word?) on here either mate, calling your opinion 'idiotic' etc (that not a snipe either daznathe?).

We started well on saturday, got the goal and then gave the ball away too much. If we played a little slower and calmer MK may have not got back into the game. I would have liked to see us attacking the goal towards the end but MK had shown to be rather good and fast on the counter so I was more bothered about us not giving them the ball. In the end we did keep the ball in the last moments and forced an error (or at least Allot had an awful lot of room to get his shot in).

For the neutral its crap but in all honesty i'm not going to criticise something that helped us to win the game.

I agree with you Scapegoat - it was too early to be shielding the ball in the corner. Don't worry about the siege mentalitists (is that a real word?) on here either mate, calling your opinion 'idiotic' etc (that not a snipe either daznathe?).

idealistic and stupid i said, in the context that it goes on all game and he he was trying to highlight one aspect of a much bigger picture which had seemingly escaped his attention.

i like the term mentalitists.

idealistic and stupid i said in the context that it goes on all game and he he was trying to highlight one aspect of a much bigger picture which had seemingly escaped his attention.

i like the term mentalitists.

Seemingly escaped my attention - perhaps from the posts I made that was how it seemed. However I dislike shielding the ball in pretty much all circumstances and pointed this out later on in the thread.

Yes - by our defenders not shielding the ball out for 10 yards go get a goal kick would mean we face more throw ins / corners that we may conced from.

Yes - by not timewasting by shielding in the corner we would potentially lose possession and concede a late goal.

However, over the course of the season if this was applied to all teams we would have more attacking opportunites from additional throw-ins/corners ourselves (admittedley not one of our greatest areas of threat) and have more time to get last equalisers/winners ourselves when we are chasing a game.

Also if we swung the ball in a bit more at the end when we were winning and the opposition were leaving men up field we might score more goals and have a few less nervous end to games.

It reminds me of when managers scream for the introduction of video referees after an incident that could have helped win a game. They never make the same call when they have benefited from the ref missing a handball in the box that would mean they conceded a penalty that if scored would mean 2 less points.

You win some, you lose some. Overall I think the net effect would be zero on average and the football fan would see a more open and entertaining game.

Idealistic and stupid? Perhaps. But its how I feel.

I know this isn't a poll, but I agree with you Scapegoat. I haven't paid £XX to see somebody stand on the ball in the corner and I don't agree with the win at all costs mentality. I wish to be entertained.

probably best if you stick to re runs of 100 year old games, when it was just a game.

or you could leave early lol

First, let me say that I hate it when the opposition pulls the 'shielding the ball by the corner flag' trick and cringe when Latics do it.

To be fair though, I don't have to cringe very often. Let's put things into perspective, I've been to 8 out of 9 games this season (part-timer!) and out of those we've only done this in the MK game. At 1-0 up. With 5 minutes left. Against a dangerous side. With our reputation.

I'm all for entertainment but not at the expense of losing late points.

P.S. Players aren't allowed to wear watches and there isn't a scoreboard or clock at BP so if Taylor pulls a similar stunt in the final home game against Southend, at 1-0 up and about to clinch automatic promotion. Give him the benefit of the doubt, eh?

Main stand and the NSM suck...

I had to suffer 3 years of cheering goals, and being looked at funny if I tried to clap/cheer/chant any other time :(

hey dont put the NSM in the same bracket asthe main standers - when the chaddy end decided to sing im talking about 20 years+ of having to listen to the sound of silence unless we were 5-0 up after ten mins. well when u did we at least joined in - unlike our counterparts on the other side - unless of course your roots dont go back that far.

Edited by neiladamsheadband

nope its a job, a career, an investent or a business depending on your circumstances. most of us on here are merely punters, our contribution other than financial is largely irrelevant

that might be very well true for the players and the club....however for the fan its still a game,and its a game were the fan wants to be entertained by the players on the pitch playing fast attractive free flowing football,and not by trying to waste as much time as possible messing about in corners trying to wind the clock down......

if the players are so adamant that they do it it strikes me they have a very real fear of there own ability to close a game out properly,and almost admit by doing it that they would concede a late goal if they didnt do it.

what is your view on the opposing team doing it to us for instance,when we may need a draw to win the league or qualify for the playoffs,will you be saying its part and parcel of the game then,as it may end with us not going up because we couldnt get the ball out of the corner and into there penalty box.

Whilst I sit in the Chaddy and would not personally attack Taylor in this way.....

I do HATE with a passion that with 5 minutes to go we do the ball in the corner trick and do 'boo' and shout 'play football for ****'s sake'. I did the same today and whilst on this occassion something came of Talyot's pratting round shielding the ball near the touchline, I still think the whole tactic is abhorrant and against the principals of entertaining football.

I remember in the Dowie play-off year in the last few minutes of the second semi leg, that the game was still end to end and both sides were still playing football. The other semi-final 2nd leg was blighted by the time-wasting tactic that has come into our game recently and was really pleased when the Rs went on to win the final - a more honest footballing team.

I can also remember Leeds doing this against us in the top division at BP being 2-0 up near the end. The ref seemed to hate it as well and added loads of time on and we bagged 2 late (Olney?) goals to get a point. Their manager at the time complained afterwards 'that if the ball is in play its not timewasting and it shouldn't be added on'. I thought then, and I think now. Rubbish - its not in the spirit and should not be done.

Play keep ball if you want, but not that crap.

So if Taylor would have lost it in the corner and MK Dons scored then what would you be saying?

that might be very well true for the players and the club....however for the fan its still a game,and its a game were the fan wants to be entertained by the players on the pitch playing fast attractive free flowing football,and not by trying to waste as much time as possible messing about in corners trying to wind the clock down......

if the players are so adamant that they do it it strikes me they have a very real fear of there own ability to close a game out properly,and almost admit by doing it that they would concede a late goal if they didnt do it.

what is your view on the opposing team doing it to us for instance,when we may need a draw to win the league or qualify for the playoffs,will you be saying its part and parcel of the game then,as it may end with us not going up because we couldnt get the ball out of the corner and into there penalty box.

yes i will. i hate it, but its not going to change in view of the reasons ive already stated. so in a nutshell, complaining is stupid and idealistic.

Unbeaten, top of the league, scored 15 goals, plus 10 goal difference.

Nevertheless, we've found something to moan about.

Took a united fan and his lad with us last Saturday obeying Fuerher Hardy's orders,

Asked him what he thought afterwards.

1. you were right about Gregan , he scares the :censored: out of me and I'm 50 yards away

2. Hughes is a class act

3. Lots of noise (in the RRE) dead good and supportive when the team needed it.

4. Jesus, won 2-0 and top of the league how much moaning did those chaps do behind us?

My favourite was 'Hughes is too fat and too slow like that piecan at Hull'