Poetic justice

STILL........even though we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE...............fellas in the main stand are moaning.

The guy next to me.........."were no top of the league side"..............one further down the row....."Allott, get yer finger out"........... behind me......" Taylor you tosser"....after he had taken the ball into the corner with 3 minutes left. How poetic when he dribbled out of the corner to lay on the pass to Allott....2-0 !!!!

Oh how I laughed....and snarled whilst telling the chap he wasn't worthy of a decent football team and should bu**er off back to his armchair!! he didn't reply. Fancy that! lol

STILL........even though we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE...............fellas in the main stand are moaning.

The guy next to me.........."were no top of the league side"..............one further down the row....."Allott, get yer finger out"........... behind me......" Taylor you tosser"....after he had taken the ball into the corner with 3 minutes left. How poetic when he dribbled out of the corner to lay on the pass to Allott....2-0 !!!!

Oh how I laughed....and snarled whilst telling the chap he wasn't worthy of a decent football team and should bu**er off back to his armchair!! he didn't reply. Fancy that! lol

Whilst I sit in the Chaddy and would not personally attack Taylor in this way.....

I do HATE with a passion that with 5 minutes to go we do the ball in the corner trick and do 'boo' and shout 'play football for ****'s sake'. I did the same today and whilst on this occassion something came of Talyot's pratting round shielding the ball near the touchline, I still think the whole tactic is abhorrant and against the principals of entertaining football.

I remember in the Dowie play-off year in the last few minutes of the second semi leg, that the game was still end to end and both sides were still playing football. The other semi-final 2nd leg was blighted by the time-wasting tactic that has come into our game recently and was really pleased when the Rs went on to win the final - a more honest footballing team.

I can also remember Leeds doing this against us in the top division at BP being 2-0 up near the end. The ref seemed to hate it as well and added loads of time on and we bagged 2 late (Olney?) goals to get a point. Their manager at the time complained afterwards 'that if the ball is in play its not timewasting and it shouldn't be added on'. I thought then, and I think now. Rubbish - its not in the spirit and should not be done.

Play keep ball if you want, but not that crap.

Whilst I sit in the Chaddy and would not personally attack Taylor in this way.....

I do HATE with a passion that with 5 minutes to go we do the ball in the corner trick and do 'boo' and shout 'play football for ****'s sake'. I did the same today and whilst on this occassion something came of Talyot's pratting round shielding the ball near the touchline, I still think the whole tactic is abhorrant and against the principals of entertaining football.

I remember in the Dowie play-off year in the last few minutes of the second semi leg, that the game was still end to end and both sides were still playing football. The other semi-final 2nd leg was blighted by the time-wasting tactic that has come into our game recently and was really pleased when the Rs went on to win the final - a more honest footballing team.

I can also remember Leeds doing this against us in the top division at BP being 2-0 up near the end. The ref seemed to hate it as well and added loads of time on and we bagged 2 late (Olney?) goals to get a point. Their manager at the time complained afterwards 'that if the ball is in play its not timewasting and it shouldn't be added on'. I thought then, and I think now. Rubbish - its not in the spirit and should not be done.

Wow.........amazing. I personally support our players, particularly when they have been under the cosh for most of the second half, and are looking to give the defence/midfield chance to re group. I wouldn't dream of booing them in that situation.

How is playing in the corner dishonest?! It's not entertaining but needs must! If we were drawing however I'd join in with the booing.

Erm, I think it was actually Cardiff that won the final. The 'honest' R's were woken from their slumber after a Cardiff wag set all the hotel alarms off during the night before the game.

I wasn't impressed with the corner flag stuff, but we were playing a dangerous side so understood it.

I was more worried about my shout to Allott - "don't shoot" - just as he the backlift began. A second later the ball was in the bottom corner of the net, the game was won (but we'd given possession back to them on the halfway line! Shez out!).

Erm, I think it was actually Cardiff that won the final. The 'honest' R's were woken from their slumber after a Cardiff wag set all the hotel alarms off during the night before the game.

My mistake on the result, but I still supported them.

Can understand why teams do it - want to win etc. Its just IMO its awful to watch and I don't like it. Get the ball in the box rather than p*ss around. THe same way the passing the ball back to the keeper to pick up time wasting method has been removed through a rule change, I think the same should be done for this.

Shielding the ball? B*ll*cks. Its obstruction, blow up for a fould. Indirect free-kick and get back tomplaying football.

My mistake on the result, but I still supported them.

Can understand why teams do it - want to win etc. Its just IMO its awful to watch and I don't like it. Get the ball in the box rather than p*ss around. THe same way the passing the ball back to the keeper to pick up time wasting method has been removed through a rule change, I think the same should be done for this.

Shielding the ball? B*ll*cks. Its obstruction, blow up for a fould. Indirect free-kick and get back tomplaying football.

lol and keepers who take too long when 1 nil up. and players who take a few seconds longer on free kicks/ throw in when winning. and subs in 90th minute when winning. ball boys who dawdle. your view is idealistic and stupid. half the people who bood would have been booing if taylor 'put it in the box' where no one was, they head clear, go down t'other end and equalise? no thanks mate ill take the 1 nil 3 points every time ta.

scapegoat is a football genius

I hate them shielding it in the corner, it depresses me and I think it just can't go well when doing it with 5mins to go. If u look at the last 5 at Tranmere we passed it around and the keepball was slendid to watch and effective as the opposition not just tire but get frustrated and foul wasting more time.

I just don't like the time wasting BUT of course openly criticising the players, especially the youngsters is delporable i agree, and it was the main reason I moved sides in the Main Stand paddock. I remember people complaing at Taylor and Smalley when we were 3-0 up against Huddersfield last term, Chrissy then when on a few mazy runs and scored a 4th !!! :clown:

lol and keepers who take too long when 1 nil up. and players who take a few seconds longer on free kicks/ throw in when winning. and subs in 90th minute when winning. ball boys who dawdle. your view is idealistic and stupid. half the people who bood would have been booing if taylor 'put it in the box' where no one was, they head clear, go down t'other end and equalise? no thanks mate ill take the 1 nil 3 points every time ta.

scapegoat is a football genius

Football genius? No, and would never claim to be.

I am however a fan of football and I pay my money to see entertaining football. I am a fan who has an opinion of a facet of the game that has crept more and more into common use.

Of course I am not foolish enough to think that 'time wasting' does not goes on, but whilst its very frustrating to see substitutions/slow set pieces etc. when you are chasing something from the game, for me its a team doing things that they would normally do in a game (albeit a little slower).

The corner flag shielding process is not. Whilst its allowed we will see it continue and I will continue to not like it and shout 'get the ball in the box FFS' as is my right to do so. I hope that the 'shielding' thing is stopped by a subtle change / enforcement of the rules.

I am however a fan of football and I pay my money to see entertaining football. I am a fan who has an opinion of a facet of the game that has crept more and more into common use.

Running down the clock, nowt wrong with that IMO. The only issue I have is doing it with 5 minutes to go. Even Rueben ran over and held out his palm at Taylor and Liddell indicating there's five fecking minutes left. I bet every manager in the league when, with a narrow lead, the instruction towards the end is to waste some time.

In a utophia, yeah, we'd all like to see us finish a win with pretty triangles in the middle of the pitch, as the crowd sing in perfect harmony "Olé... Olé...". Against Tranmere, they were simply shattered after working hard to get back into the game. Them lot* yesterday looked to have more energy for me and were closing us down effectively even towards the end so I can see why we opted to go for it, even if it was a little early for my liking.

Needs must, and to criticise on such a minor detail when we're blazing away at the top of the division just looks massively churlish. I mean, do we have to find fault when we're having as perfect start to the season as anyone would have imagined?

* Sorry, they are "them lot" to me.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

i would like to point out that if FFS is a time saving way of typing that you would shout 'for :censored:s sake', then you are not within your rights as swearing is not allowed.

i believe your displeasure is misplaced and should be redirected at defenders who jog slowly in front of the ball and move left or right to block the attacking player in order to win a dead ball. this sometimes occurs over areas as much as 30 yards or even more. now, this IS obstruction. it also wastes even more time over the course of a game than any other tactic. unfortunatley, this has been part of the game since the pass back rule was introduced. it is not lost on the football geniuses at pro zone that upto twenty out of ninety minutes can be lost in this way, when you include the resulting dead ball. i sincerely hope you didnt previously view this as good defending, and it is my hope that your view on keeping the ball in the corner is just the opening salvo in a much bigger war.

gosh im pedantic today. enlightening, but pedantic.

i would like to point out that if FFS is a time saving way of typing that you would shout 'for :censored:s sake', then you are not within your rights as swearing is not allowed.

i believe your displeasure is misplaced and should be redirected at defenders who jog slowly in front of the ball and move left or right to block the attacking player in order to win a dead ball. this sometimes occurs over areas as much as 30 yards or even more. now, this IS obstruction. it also wastes even more time over the course of a game than any other tactic. unfortunatley, this has been part of the game since the pass back rule was introduced. it is not lost on the football geniuses at pro zone that upto twenty out of ninety minutes can be lost in this way, when you include the resulting dead ball. i sincerely hope you didnt previously view this as good defending, and it is my hope that your view on keeping the ball in the corner is just the opening salvo in a much bigger war.

gosh im pedantic today. enlightening, but pedantic.

This form of obsruction also is something I don't like and would like to see officials flag for obstruction as you say.

Generally I am a fan of entertaining football and welcome things that help this e.g. the multi-ball ballboys at Latics this season (must have significantly increased the ball in play time); the fact that now referrees are supposed to decide when play is stopped for injuries etc.

Overall it appears as though I am in a minority on this board in thinking that the time wasting tactic employed yesterday (and other occasions) is something I would prefer not to see. Fair enough, I only come on here to express my opinion, not expect everyone to agree with it.

As for needing something to complain about. Not at all - I am overjoyed at the performances and results this season and long may it continue, its been a good number of years since a start that fuels so much optimism.

Cant believe certain people on here are moaning about players holding the ball up in the corner!!

winning is all that matters, and if holding the ball in the corner at the end of each match is the answer, then so be it!!

would these same people be moaning, if we needed to hold on to a result for us to get promoted on the last day of the season, OR should we give the ball away cheaply, and the opposition break away and score in the last minute.

Person states an opinion.

Lots of people on this board respond by stating "facts".

Not the first time on this board, if someone states an opinion that does not conform, the responses tend to tell them they are wrong. Not that they have a different opinion, but willing to accept others may disagree.

I am happy with the team/perfromances, but I still want to discuss things Oldham on this board. Just because we are winning it doesn't mean that we all have to be 100% Happy Clappy Happy and not see anything worth discussing that we are not happy with.

But for the record I will still shout get the ball in the box For Fricks Sake.

Trying to shield it in the corner is absurb when there are 5 minutes still to play, there is simply no way that Taylor was going to use his sheer upper body strength to back them away (I can remember worthwhile job of that a few years ago when Beckham made a point of getting Heskey over to shield it in the corner where he had copping loads from some Eastern European knuckle draggers, but Emile eats more steak then Taylor). Last minute, maybe, but not that long. I'm glad Rueben had his brain in gear and went and had a go. It's different doing what we did for Allott's goal, yes it was in the corner, but we were still playing, so the effect was to suck them in and give us a chance to take advantage. Now that makes sense.

i believe your displeasure is misplaced and should be redirected at defenders who jog slowly in front of the ball and move left or right to block the attacking player in order to win a dead ball. this sometimes occurs over areas as much as 30 yards or even more. now, this IS obstruction.

And derpive us of the benefit we get 5 or 10 times a game when attackers are made to circumnavigate Gregan's heroic (and superbly placed) arse before they can start going after the ball?

the only problem is when they do get past greegs and he brings them down, im constantly glossing over the fact that he has been lucky not to have given away at least four penalties in this manner so far this season.

we deserve some luck anyway.

gregans arse is a football genius