Super League Grand Final

Guest M_OAFC

Guest M_OAFC

So who else is praying for a downpour and extra long studs to really churn up that Old Trafford surface? :grin:

I know quite a number of Latics fans are going, I often do myself if Latics are at home the same day but the lads I normally go with turn it into an all day and nighter which I can't afford this time round.

I'm going to Sky+ it and watch Blackburn V Manure live, a decision taken purely on the basis that I reckon I'm less likely to get told the rugby score in a pub full of Manure fans than vice versa but now I've said that no doubt somebody will ruin it for me! But if they do at least they'll probably put the 2nd half on right after the football.

I reckon that whoever loses will be one of the best teams ever to come second and yet curiously I can still see the winning margin being quite wide with the way Saints are playing at the moment, but if Leeds can produce their very best stuff at the right time it could turn into an absolute classic.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be the best game at Old Trafford for another 12 months :grin:

So who else is praying for a downpour and extra long studs to really churn up that Old Trafford surface? :grin:

I know quite a number of Latics fans are going, I often do myself if Latics are at home the same day but the lads I normally go with turn it into an all day and nighter which I can't afford this time round.

I'm going to Sky+ it and watch Blackburn V Manure live, a decision taken purely on the basis that I reckon I'm less likely to get told the rugby score in a pub full of Manure fans than vice versa but now I've said that no doubt somebody will ruin it for me! But if they do at least they'll probably put the 2nd half on right after the football.

I reckon that whoever loses will be one of the best teams ever to come second and yet curiously I can still see the winning margin being quite wide with the way Saints are playing at the moment, but if Leeds can produce their very best stuff at the right time it could turn into an absolute classic.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be the best game at Old Trafford for another 12 months :grin:

Can't wait, Leeds aren't the side they were last year and as long as Saints take their chances unlike last year I think we'll blow 'em away! Would've loved a Saints/Pieheads final as all the wifes lot are Wigan RL fans.

Really looking forward to this weekend as I'm working my arse off at the moment. So Edgeley Park on Friday with the boy and hopefully a result for the mighty, then an all dayer in Manchester with the trouble and strife and onto watch Saints lift another Super League title before meeting up with friends afterwards for a celebratory Ruby. Bring it on.....

Went to my 1st super league final last year. Loved it. Great atmosphere too. Going again on saturday. I'm in the stretford end. Lower tier towards the north stand.

Gunna be a great weekend. Day off tomorrow, wet through at stockport and then off to scum trafford with my dad to watch the rugby.

I've had a fiver @ 12/1 on Keiron Cunningham to win the Harry Sunderland trophy (man of the match)

Edited by pukka

I'm not going this year - it was either the Challenge Cup Final or the Grand Final, so I went to Wembley.

Anyway hopefully I can cajole Sav to putting it on while I drink his fridge dry.

I reckon the key men will be Wellens, he's due a true redvee performance and if it's wet there's nobody else at full back I'd rather have...

"You fill up my senses..."

V

I'm not going this year - it was either the Challenge Cup Final or the Grand Final, so I went to Wembley.

Anyway hopefully I can cajole Sav to putting it on while I drink his fridge dry.

I reckon the key men will be Wellens, he's due a true redvee performance and if it's wet there's nobody else at full back I'd rather have...

"You fill up my senses..."

V

I wasn't going but with the rearranging of our game vs Stockport provided the opportunity. Highlight of the day will be the amount of ribbing the wife gets when wearing the Wigan shirt she bought specially for the Grand Final, shame they bottled it! As for key men, well Leon and Seany Boy were anonymous last season and McGuire, Burrow and Peacock awesome. So two big performances from them and Roby was tremendous a fortnight ago so I hope he can have the impact he did then. Peacock could be the key man again, we give him a foothold and it could be close. Hit him hard, hit him early and we should be ok. Show him who's boss! Well done on Graham for winning M.O.S.

I don't think the Pie eaters bottled it, more every one knows how Noble likes to play. Leeds were simply the better team, though they won't be on Saturday.

I beg to differ, gaining posession 20 yards short of their opponents line and then proceeding to lose the ball on three or four occasions through handling errors suggests they bottled it. As for Noble, hate him, such a negative coach whose tactics cost Great Britain regularly. Surely after 3 seasons of failure he must be sacked? And I will take great delight when the inevitable happens!

Edited by oafcprozac

I beg to differ, gaining posession 20 yards short of their opponents line and then proceeding to lose the ball on three or four occasions through handling errors suggests they bottled it. As for Noble, hate him, such a negative coach whose tactics cost Greeat Britain regularly. Surely after 3 seasons of failure he must be sacked? And I take great delight when the ninevitable happens!

I always liked Nobby when he was a Bradford - as for GB, well if you have Phil Clarke in your management team you deserve everything you get. Now that is one bloke I can't stand.

I always liked Nobby when he was a Bradford - as for GB, well if you have Phil Clarke in your management team you deserve everything you get. Now that is one bloke I can't stand.

Come on, the guy has comedy cartoon lips! Reminds me of a geriatric cow, chewing the cud.

Come on, the guy has comedy cartoon lips! Reminds me of a geriatric cow, chewing the cud.

lol

I have the DVD about behind the scenes of the GB's 2005 Tri-Nations series, it's called A League Of Their Own. Nobby's tactics, motivational methods, and managerial skills provide a good inside knowledge of how most (probably all) RL managers over here conduct themselves. Yep, I'm sure they all have a wobbly now and again, but their approach to player management and development is far superior to that of football in my opinion. For instance, the half time chat - forever associated with a good old bollocking, now I ain't saying it doesn't happen in RL - but Nobby said something along the lines of -

"I only have three or four minutes with them at the break. It is critical that I use that tiime to switch those players on and make a positive impact. If I bollock them what can I achieve? By the time I'd have finished shouting, there would be no time to get them prepared for the second half."

Like him or loathe him, I thought he was okay as a coach.. Bradford did very well, and Wigan are a damn sight better now than when Millward was at the helm. But I wasn't that bothered about Milly making a right pigs ear of the pie heads! *cough* 75-0 *cough*

Very interesting DVD though - apart from Phil Clarke....