Reality Check

Some of the stuff read on here has made me laugh, you`d have thought we were 20th going into the last weekend at times. Were in October and were 7th, its hardly bad is it. A win on tuesday and were right back in the thick of it. Like i posted in another thread, Carlisle/Donny lost 12 last season and finished in the top 6, Southend 14.

Weve hit a bad run of form but were hardly Arsenal and were hardly going to go the season unbeaten. Weve lost to Swindon and Brizzle yes, however disapointing it is remember weve gone to Leeds and Tranmere and won, and beat Millwall and MK, hardly a sign of a bad team.

Weve hit a little blip in form ... some people need there heads checking. Like i said, were 7th and were only in October, theres another 32/33 games to be played :unsure:

People are to quick to jump on the bandwagon after afew bad results. The glass is half full instead of half empty!

OhWhenTheBlues.

Some of the stuff read on here has made me laugh, you`d have thought we were 20th going into the last weekend at times. Were in October and were 7th, its hardly bad is it. A win on tuesday and were right back in the thick of it. Like i posted in another thread, Carlisle/Donny lost 12 last season and finished in the top 6, Southend 14.

Weve hit a bad run of form but were hardly Arsenal and were hardly going to go the season unbeaten. Weve lost to Swindon and Brizzle yes, however disapointing it is remember weve gone to Leeds and Tranmere and won, and beat Millwall and MK, hardly a sign of a bad team.

Weve hit a little blip in form ... some people need there heads checking. Like i said, were 7th and were only in October, theres another 32/33 games to be played :unsure:

People are to quick to jump on the bandwagon after afew bad results. The glass is half full instead of half empty!

OhWhenTheBlues.

:applause1:

Well said.

I'm actually glad we're playing a decent team on Tuesday rather than a mid table team who we notoriously don't do well against. Hopefully a good result Tuesday will get us back in the top 6 and kick start the season again and end this little 'blip'.

OhWhenTheBlues.

Lol...this sweeping generic post is as bad as the D&G-ers...for the fact that myself and many others have done nothing but discussed the current problems within the side and how to best right them. There are the odd percent of over-reacters...some looking for bites a bit like yours. Generally though, there's actually been some good discussion about where to put things right. As you were though...

.for the fact that myself and many others have done nothing but discussed the current problems within the side and how to best right them.

And where in my post have i personally said otherwise? The post was to those who have the glass half empty out-look, the one`s who are moaning.

I fail to see how my post is looking for bites however.

6 points from 7 games equates to less than 40 points if replicated across an entire season. If it was just two unfortunate defeats in the West Country (where we always lose) I'd shrug and get on with it. But the poor form was evident when we beat MK Dons and it has been down hill since.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for fans to be genuinely concerned with 3 away defeats on the bounce and the only win in recent memory being against a pretty poor Hereford outfit who played to our strengths.

We have a great squad, some genuinely talented individuals and have shown signs of real class this season, as well as the ability to grind out results when needed against tough opposition.

This has, however, vanished.

I genuinely expect the coaching staff to turn this round pretty rapidly. I just have this horrible feeling that the style of play that bored us senseless for much of last season is returning.

OhWhenTheBlues.

The home form like for the second half of last season is good, perhaps very good. The away form is bad, perhaps very bad. We finished last season in 8th position and we're currently in 7th position with a quarter of the season gone. Therefore, is our away form a blip?

There cannot be a Latics fan that isn't a bit down about the points total over the last month.

From games I have seen, which is admittedley the 3 defeats, the performances are not as bad as the points total indicates.

Hartlepool good performance let down by a few minutes of madness and should have still won.

Huddersfield - not great, but slightly better decision making in the last 3rd would have seen a win.

MK Dons - good win against a good side.

Leicester - good point against a good side, and again slightly better decision making would have sneaked a win.

2 better GD and we'd still be 4th/5th and we'd be happier.

Plenty of time to go - and I am confident of a play-off finish.

Not saying otherwise. Just its one of them weeks I knew we'd struggle. We all know Oldham by now, we'll go out and play great against Scunthorpe. Probably thump them knowing us.

i feel that the game tomorrow is massive, not just for points gained from our rivals, but i think after our recent form, it will say a lot about our genuine promotion credentials - if we're good enough or not!! Time to show your character boys in blue

Lets be honest,we always struggle against Swindon and Bristol is not a place we've enjoyed in the past, especially midweek.

Not saying otherwise. Just its one of them weeks I knew we'd struggle. We all know Oldham by now, we'll go out and play great against Scunthorpe. Probably thump them knowing us.

I despise these type of comments, yet hear them so often. How past teams of players and management have done whilst playing under the club name that is Oldham Athletic is absolutely 100% irrelevant to todays team and what I expect of them.

Continuing to struggle against such sides is a recipe for permanent mediocrity, though, not promotion.

The Corp is back around, should help pass a little time today. This comment is very true though.....crack on Corporal.....

I agree, players and management shouldnt be taking this into consideration but me as a fan see it over and over. I honestly dont expect our boys to drive town to Bristol midweek and put in a quality performance. How many times have we seen it before. Im being realistic.

I still believe we will be up there at the end of the season, we have to drop points somewhere. Id rather it be against our bogey teams and pick up points everywhere else.

Even the best of teams have a bad run. Look at Man Scums start to the season, you think theyre calling for Fergies head?

6 points from 7 games equates to less than 40 points if replicated across an entire season. If it was just two unfortunate defeats in the West Country (where we always lose) I'd shrug and get on with it. But the poor form was evident when we beat MK Dons and it has been down hill since.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for fans to be genuinely concerned with 3 away defeats on the bounce and the only win in recent memory being against a pretty poor Hereford outfit who played to our strengths.

We have a great squad, some genuinely talented individuals and have shown signs of real class this season, as well as the ability to grind out results when needed against tough opposition.

This has, however, vanished.

I genuinely expect the coaching staff to turn this round pretty rapidly. I just have this horrible feeling that the style of play that bored us senseless for much of last season is returning.

Good post!

Also let's not forget that in many of the games we've won this season, the team has only performed well for about 45 minutes. There are bound to be bad patches in a season, but consistency is the name of the game to win promotion. I hope Shez also shows the squad the video of the performance at Leeds, which should be the benchmark.

Good post!

Also let's not forget that in many of the games we've won this season, the team has only performed well for about 45 minutes. There are bound to be bad patches in a season, but consistency is the name of the game to win promotion. I hope Shez also shows the squad the video of the performance at Leeds, which should be the benchmark.

i dont think that many are calling for wholesale changes this early into a season,however one or two players may be paying the price for having a good season last time....allott isnt exactly in great form at the moment,and the consistancy of the defence could be questionable,hazell who was a pillar of strenght last season has had a dodgy start by his standards...

taylor has been one of the only shining lights so far,but teams now know what to expect so two or three man him out the game,this is the time when the manager needs to shuffle his pack using his squad system,there isnt any point in having a big squad if your not prepared to use it,again citing that players are in a comfort zone,this can only be sorted by himself...

we saw this the last two season,a sort of stubborness to change things prefering to think things are bound to come good sooner or later....

if things dont change then yes,people are quite right in saying that current form is relegation material,yes we are having a blip at the moment but if it continues we would be in trouble....we have had a cracking start to the season,but i feel personally that in the last few games we havent took advantage of the situation and pressed forward.....just because we havenbt won at certain places for years on end doesnt automatically mean we never will.....i didnt expect to lose against stockport or bristol....but we did.

Shez after Saturday's game:

"I'm not going to accept that level of performance, because we will be relegated if we keep playing like we did today."

i know shez said it after the game....and im glad he did,as it might just snap one or two players out of as he puts it "there comfort zones"

i just dont understand why we keep bypassing midfield,is there some sort of problem in training or dressing room that were not aware of,but recently the ball goes from defence to strikers and invariably misses its target and gives away possesion.....we all know what the midfield is capable of,i just dont understand why were bypassing it.

get it on the deck and keep it simple,if there isnt a blue shirt available dont lump it up in hope,just keep it,but when the pass is made,make sure it reaches its destination properly.

i just dont understand why we keep bypassing midfield,.......but recently the ball goes from defence to strikers and invariably misses its target and gives away possesion.....we all know what the midfield is capable of,i just dont understand why were bypassing it.

get it on the deck and keep it simple,if there isnt a blue shirt available dont lump it up in hope,just keep it,but when the pass is made,make sure it reaches its destination properly.

It's as simple as that! Stockport, Bristol Rovers and Swindon have shown how simple it is - why can't our players see it? Those three teams were being outplayed until they scored and then their confidence soared. Heading or hoofing the ball upfield to opposing defenders results in our midfield and defence being under constant pressure. Then they start getting niggly and lose concentration. Knock it about, keep possession and create openings - it builds confidence and makes players want the ball. It also makes the other team work hard chasing the ball, instead of it coming to them repeatedly from our players. Tire the opposition and then bring on the players with pace to destroy opponents.

At times on Saturday I got the impression that Swindon were laughig at our players - their fans certainly were, as some of our mistakes were laughable if it wasn't so serious.

Earlier in the season we were told the team feared nobody, and the comebacks showed that. It needs to get back to that mindset. The team has shown it can do it in patches, but it needs to regain the confidence to be able to do it long enough to start winning consistently.

Is there a sports psychologist in the house?

Earlier in the season we were told the team feared nobody, and the comebacks showed that. It needs to get back to that mindset. The team has shown it can do it in patches, but it needs to regain the confidence to be able to do it long enough to start winning consistently.

Is there a sports psychologist in the house?

Interesting comments!!! On the lengthy trips south I mentioned once or twice to mates that I didn't particularly like Shez's pre-match comments about The Gas nor Swindon. The talking up of both sides...I don't see the need. Serves little purpose IMO. Especially the "Swindon are in a false position" comment. They'd lost 5 at home on the bounce before Northampton went there last Tuesday and on the day, they looked a very mediocre to poor side. Sadly, we were better than them in the first but couldn't put away our chances and gave two silly goals away and in the 2nd half, we looked as poor as I've seen us since Hartlepool at home last season.

I've not really had many concerns on Shez's comments for some time now (as in the past, I've felt his made some massive gaffes) but I felt last week he unnecessarily bigged up the oppo. Possibly, at our own expense?

I fail to see how my post is looking for bites however.

You misread my post...I said that some are on here, going OTT on how bad things are just to look for bites...a bit like yours. As in, you've fallen for the wind-up merchants intentions and provided a bite.

No biggie anyway...just I don't think the tone of the board is as bad as being made out...esp when there is good reason for some concern to be had at present. A win tomorrow will ease that concern...but consistency has to be the case this season. In my view, this is THE season we make a real, sustained promotion push (we might not go up, but we must give it a big shot this time.) And the last couple of games are great concerns to this view I have...Saturday more so than Tuesday as not many will get a win at the Gas whereas only us and Northampton (who are struggling) are the only 2 to not win at the County Ground. Swindon will be cannon fodder for many this season. And not only have we missed out, we've done so in style with a very inept showing in areas.

Fingers crossed though....onwards and upwards!

Edited by boundaryblue80