Yesterdays Shambles....

Right, I'm going to try and give my opinions of yesterday without trying to refer it to the 'bigger picture' of Sheridan, who after yesterday i can only agree is on very shaky ground - however still has time in my eyes to prove he is the manager to take us forward...

However - yesterday was :censored: clueless... I dont know, but it just dissapointed me far more than our recent losses because it looked like not only did we not have a plan B, plan A was awful, as were the attempts to stumble upon a solution to solve why we were so terrible.... lets address the key points...

1. The formation & the first half. Unfortunately Smalley and Ales cannot play upfront together, it wa splainly evident from todays performance, and Sheridan should have known this - too lightweight, too inexperiences, and no cutting edge. However, I cant remember such poor service from a latics team, constant hoofing (mainly from Gregan - more of that later), no creativity, and not giving these guys a chance - even when it became totally clear that if we got it on the deck and ran at them they crapped themselves.... so what was Sheridans solution to this lack of creativity and tactics to get the ball on the ground.... Move Jones to left back and Lomax to right wing - :censored: brilliant Sheridan - tactcal mastery there my friend, put a full back on the wing and a winger (bcause jones bloody is!) at full back.... it has also become increasingly clear that Chrissy T now utterly cannot play on the right, he is totally confused by it now, so lets stop that and keep him on the left.

2. Gregan - awful awful awful awful. I am one of his biggest supporters, i think he is a master at this level, but something isnt right with this guy at the moment, the drink driving, dip in form, lack of understanding with Shez, whatever... he should not be on the pitch. he was a walking disaster yesterday, he turned the forwards inside out in his usual way, but every ball he played was a hoof, mis-kicked, or straight to an opposing player. The penalty was a penalty, no arguement and he will give away more in exactly the same way as he thinks he can do anything as he is the mighty gregan - take a break son, get your head right and come back as our captain - until then calamity stam can play - however, my biggest priority now is not this pointless search for a striker, get o'grady back, but it is a defender - we need a big, towering, no-nonsense lower division battering ram of a centre back to replace Gregan now... otherwise we will continue to concede crap goals against crap teams.

3. Our midfield is not good enough in a 442 - cruicially been shown recently in losses to shocking teams (and yesterdays first half). I'm just not buying this wonderful whits and allott thing - they are too hit and miss and do not control games, they appear in flashes and get battered by people who are prepared to outwork them. Give them space - fine, but they cant do a job week in week out in this league. The solution was evident very quickly yesterday in the second half - Maher. This guy was class yesterday. Settled everything down immidiately, picked passes, and strolled around the midfield controlling the game - everything went through him and he was the best player on the park. How this guy hasnt played more football for us is bewildering... and how shez is not using his squad in geral is fast becoming frustrating - get maher in the side and....

4. Stop this obsession with 442. I just dont think it suits our players. Our midfield 2 isnt strong enough, we currently dont have 2 strikers who can play together, and Liddell cant play football anymore as a winger. Plus, we have two fullbacks (I'm talking Jones and eardley) who are more comfortable at going forward than defending. So lets compensate for our weaknesses and play to our strengths instead of shoving underperforming players into a 442. PLAY 4-3-3!!!!! Sheridan stumbles onto the answer that has been so blatant for a long time yesterday.... sure up the midfield by putting an extra man in the centre (maher), put our biggest goal threat (talyor) further up the pitch on the left of a front three - play Hughesy or Lewi in the centre to be the main striker and link play, Smalley can definitely do a job on the right, he was great there yesterday - fair enough things didnt quite come off, but his skill and energy as a right winger/forward was awesome - and then get the full backs bombing forward where they are most comfortable... knowing one of the midfield 3 can then slot in for them. This formation works and suits us. Going forward we have 3 up top with full backs supporting and are therefore more dangerous, the midfield is sured up, and also can Smalley and Tayls can drop into midfield when defending.... it makes so much sense, however i'm sure Shez will never get over his 442 obsession... plan A should eb 433 - and Maher should be the first name on the teamsheet next week!

Right... think that is about it... not going to be too judgemental on hearsay on the overall situation, however Sheridan has some serious work to do, yeah I know we are in a decent position still, however there are serious cracks in our tactics, decision making, personnel choices - and crucially our internal relationships.... between captain/manager/chairman. This isnt a good standpoint for the rest of the season. We need confidence back in our team, hoepfully the second half will the the watershed - howver it only will be if the lessons learnt in that half arent forgotten by next saturday.... and suddenly we look like abunch of strangers failing to win a football match yet again...

KTF and all that....

:)

Edited by BigfinLatic

Taylor didn't look particularly confused on his debut against Forest. Surely it must be Sheridan's fault if he's confused now.

Well, err, yes.... but there is no blame in my statement in what he has done with Taylor. Sheridan has turned Taylor into an incredibly good left winger. So much so that playing on the right is not his strength - his strenth is now cutting inside and running at normall cumbersome centre backs and scaring the hell out of them, and also getting involved in the play on the edge of the box - not playing with chalk on his boots and going outside a full back down the line. He cant do it, he just doesnt look confident, so dont play him there its not his position, its as ludicrous as say... playing Lomax on the right wing :wink:

Sheridan has done a good job in creating a left winger, so why :censored: all that up by then playing him on the right... its just another strange tactical decision which for me, shows he is losng faith in his own convictions, and losing the plot tatically in general...

Guest oa_exile

Just been reading your posts BFL the only thing that surprises me is why has it taken you so long to realise what has been going on ? :blink:

What you saw yesterday did you not see also V's Yeovil and even before that ?

Just been reading your posts BFL the only thing that surprises me is why has it taken you so long to realise what has been going on ? :blink:

Its not that i didnt see it Exile, its just that I like to think I am one of the more pragmatic of Oldham fans, I can forgive certain things and accept we arent world beaters for a few poor performances, but that was the fourth example of shocking management and team performances in a month - each time against :censored: opposition. Foir a supposed team whom are looking for promotion that just isnt good enough - I think I have just hit my threshold - yesterday was pathetic, and i'm not standing for the cracks being covered over by a good 45 minutes. If that performance had happened at home, or in front of a bigger following there would be far more than me on here who had finally reached thier tipping point - and are starting to genuinely question as to where this club is heading.

If we start next week against Northampton with the same attitude/tactics as yesterday we will lose again. Lessons need to be learned, they havent been in the last 4 terrible performances so I'm seriously doubting whether anythin will change.

The formation is wrong, the personel is wrong, the squad isnt being used, and our central midfielders arent good enough. Time for things to change...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Right, I'm going to try and give my opinions of yesterday without trying to refer it to the 'bigger picture' of Sheridan, who after yesterday i can only agree is on very shaky ground - however still has time in my eyes to prove he is the manager to take us forward...

However - yesterday was censored.gif clueless... I dont know, but it just dissapointed me far more than our recent losses because it looked like not only did we not have a plan B, plan A was awful, as were the attempts to stumble upon a solution to solve why we were so terrible.... lets address the key points...

1. The formation & the first half. Unfortunately Smalley and Ales cannot play upfront together, it wa splainly evident from todays performance, and Sheridan should have known this - too lightweight, too inexperiences, and no cutting edge. However, I cant remember such poor service from a latics team, constant hoofing (mainly from Gregan - more of that later), no creativity, and not giving these guys a chance - even when it became totally clear that if we got it on the deck and ran at them they crapped themselves.... so what was Sheridans solution to this lack of creativity and tactics to get the ball on the ground.... Move Jones to left back and Lomax to right wing - censored.gif brilliant Sheridan - tactcal mastery there my friend, put a full back on the wing and a winger (bcause jones bloody is!) at full back.... it has also become increasingly clear that Chrissy T now utterly cannot play on the right, he is totally confused by it now, so lets stop that and keep him on the left.

2. Gregan - awful awful awful awful. I am one of his biggest supporters, i think he is a master at this level, but something isnt right with this guy at the moment, the drink driving, dip in form, lack of understanding with Shez, whatever... he should not be on the pitch. he was a walking disaster yesterday, he turned the forwards inside out in his usual way, but every ball he played was a hoof, mis-kicked, or straight to an opposing player. The penalty was a penalty, no arguement and he will give away more in exactly the same way as he thinks he can do anything as he is the mighty gregan - take a break son, get your head right and come back as our captain - until then calamity stam can play - however, my biggest priority now is not this pointless search for a striker, get o'grady back, but it is a defender - we need a big, towering, no-nonsense lower division battering ram of a centre back to replace Gregan now... otherwise we will continue to concede crap goals against crap teams.

3. Our midfield is not good enough in a 442 - cruicially been shown recently in losses to shocking teams (and yesterdays first half). I'm just not buying this wonderful whits and allott thing - they are too hit and miss and do not control games, they appear in flashes and get battered by people who are prepared to outwork them. Give them space - fine, but they cant do a job week in week out in this league. The solution was evident very quickly yesterday in the second half - Maher. This guy was class yesterday. Settled everything down immidiately, picked passes, and strolled around the midfield controlling the game - everything went through him and he was the best player on the park. How this guy hasnt played more football for us is bewildering... and how shez is not using his squad in geral is fast becoming frustrating - get maher in the side and....

4. Stop this obsession with 442. I just dont think it suits our players. Our midfield 2 isnt strong enough, we currently dont have 2 strikers who can play together, and Liddell cant play football anymore as a winger. Plus, we have two fullbacks (I'm talking Jones and eardley) who are more comfortable at going forward than defending. So lets compensate for our weaknesses and play to our strengths instead of shoving underperforming players into a 442. PLAY 4-3-3!!!!! Sheridan stumbles onto the answer that has been so blatant for a long time yesterday.... sure up the midfield by putting an extra man in the centre (maher), put our biggest goal threat (talyor) further up the pitch on the left of a front three - play Hughesy or Lewi in the centre to be the main striker and link play, Smalley can definitely do a job on the right, he was great there yesterday - fair enough things didnt quite come off, but his skill and energy as a right winger/forward was awesome - and then get the full backs bombing forward where they are most comfortable... knowing one of the midfield 3 can then slot in for them. This formation works and suits us. Going forward we have 3 up top with full backs supporting and are therefore more dangerous, the midfield is sured up, and also can Smalley and Tayls can drop into midfield when defending.... it makes so much sense, however i'm sure Shez will never get over his 442 obsession... plan A should eb 433 - and Maher should be the first name on the teamsheet next week!

Right... think that is about it... not going to be too judgemental on hearsay on the overall situation, however Sheridan has some serious work to do, yeah I know we are in a decent position still, however there are serious cracks in our tactics, decision making, personnel choices - and crucially our internal relationships.... between captain/manager/chairman. This isnt a good standpoint for the rest of the season. We need confidence back in our team, hoepfully the second half will the the watershed - howver it only will be if the lessons learnt in that half arent forgotten by next saturday.... and suddenly we look like abunch of strangers failing to win a football match yet again...

KTF and all that....

Got to agree with Andy about this one BigFin

AL you are spot on with your comments, its been the same IMO opinion since against Stockport with only Scunny an exception, Hereford was really a non starter because they were awful, our Youth Team could of beat them !

Shez needs to get back to basics.. very quickly and play to our strengths and not show our weaknesses week after week !

Its going to be a tough week for shez this week at the club !! :wink:

Got to agree with Andy about this one BigFin

AL you are spot on with your comments, its been the same IMO opinion since against Stockport with only Scunny an exception, Hereford was really a non starter because they were awful, our Youth Team could of beat them !

Shez needs to get back to basics.. very quickly and play to our strengths and not show our weaknesses week after week !

Its going to be a tough week for shez this week at the club !! :wink:

Not arguing with Exiles comment at all - I have seen it, as I say, yesterday was just the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of me being vocal about it. Anyone who still things that things are happy and rosy and shez can turn this around easily is seriously sticking thier head in the sand.

Even the simplest tactician can see how to beat this side at the moment. Outwork our midfield, defend deep and bang balls onto our centrebacks (well gregan)... and you will get something out of us, and we have nothing to counter it. As you say, its basics, motivation, and picking the right team... and not relying on who your mates are or previous reputations.

... tough week indeed... I'm also not convinced new personnel is the answer, and I will take any new signing with a sense of trepidation. This team could make a world beater look like a turd in 90 minutes, as you say, having good players is only half the battle - getting your tactics right and motivating them to play is the other (the basics!)

Haven't some of our best performances this season been with the 4-4-2 formation?

Missing the point Johnny - yep, 442 against teams who come to play football and attack us - the leeds, Scunny, Millwalls of this world will be concentraing on winning the match not frustrating us. Unfortunately 75% of the teams in this league will defend deep and try to out work us - where the 442 just utterly falls to pieces because Whit and Allott just arent good enough, and other than hughesy our strikers just arent clever enough and we end up with no service, and a redundant player....

We need to be able to change things when appropriate - the personnel in a 433 suits us better - and is more flexible. We just havent leaned from any of our terrible performances over the last 6 weeks, and 442 is just not working. This is the problem, we just dont seem to have any answers to the problems we are creating for ourselves. Its not as if we dont have the personnel to change things - we just simply arent trying anything!

Haven't some of our best performances this season been with the 4-4-2 formation?

Yes.

Unfortunately so have some of the naff ones too.

Shez needs to work out what the opposition are going to do and build plan 'B' around that.

I still think 4-4-2 is right for 90% of fixtures.

Guest oa_exile
Its not that i didnt see it Exile, its just that I like to think I am one of the more pragmatic of Oldham fans, I can forgive certain things and accept we arent world beaters for a few poor performances, but that was the fourth example of shocking management and team performances in a month - each time against :censored: opposition. Foir a supposed team whom are looking for promotion that just isnt good enough - I think I have just hit my threshold - yesterday was pathetic, and i'm not standing for the cracks being covered over by a good 45 minutes. If that performance had happened at home, or in front of a bigger following there would be far more than me on here who had finally reached thier tipping point - and are starting to genuinely question as to where this club is heading.

If we start next week against Northampton with the same attitude/tactics as yesterday we will lose again. Lessons need to be learned, they havent been in the last 4 terrible performances so I'm seriously doubting whether anythin will change.

The formation is wrong, the personel is wrong, the squad isnt being used, and our central midfielders arent good enough. Time for things to change...

I have posted before on this , the problem lies this season in particular with that expectations are higher than in the last couple of years.

Before I could cope with the "Shez inhereted Ronnie Bore's" squad and "he need time to re-build" , etc, etc.

He has had time to get his squad together and enough time to mold it together for a serious push.It's still pretty early in the season BUT at the moment I dont see us gaining any fruition.

Early season with the Cup comps told me that the squad did not have the strength and depth that he had hoped for,hence the in's and out's that have happened.

Tactically he still has not learnt his lessons from last season, he stays with the 4-4-2 because all other systems have basically been a disaster.......which I add from starting a game.

When he uses the subs it's usually a no brainer decision or he throws three on all at once in a last throw of the dice (OK Millwall came off).

When we play the ball on the floor we look good but why do we keep reverting to Hoof ! ? it's just not our style as we dont have the big men up front......the answer is out of frustration.

We cope well against footballing teams because it suits our style of play BUT when teams play to frustrate our game we dont have a plan B and just revert to hoofing it up front and hoping for the best.

As you posted their are so many problems at the moment and now it's actually getting to the whole club as a unit from the top downwards.......bottom line is the expectations this season are taking it's toll on and off the pitch !

Guest oa_exile
Looks like they'll be a few in the queue with me tomorrow morning for the Prozac. It's like being in cyber South Africa in the mid 70's on here at times.

It's because you've hit 40 mate :lol: