Clint Boon @ South

oafc_ok

I'm up in Manchester for The Pogues gig on Saturday 13 Dec and am looking for a club to go on to afterwards. Has anyone been to Clint Boon's night at South on a Saturday? Any good? What's the music / atmosphere / clientele like?

Any other suggestions for good nights playing Indie / Manchester / Sixties etc on a Saturday night? It's been a while since I was out on a Saturday in Manc.

Any other suggestions for good nights playing Indie / Manchester / Sixties etc on a Saturday night? It's been a while since I was out on a Saturday in Manc.

It depends what sort of indie you like mate.

5th Avenue/42nd Street plays your indie-by-numbers baggy/Nu-indie and the odd sixties. But it's music you can set your watch by and you feel like a dinosaur if you're over 25.

South - Only been once. It's OK but not very cutting edge or anything really IMO. pretty MOR indie/soul. Pleasant but there's far better nights in town.

Star and Garter - 'Smile' is Manchester's longest running indie club. My favourite (Bit biased because I DJ there) and a bit more eclectic than others. But it's far more homely and welcoming.

Brickhouse/Venue - Not been in these places for ages but it's kinda like 5th Avenue but for more of an older crowd. Brickhouse I'd say is the better option.

Deaf Institute - Off Oxford Road. Have gigs on upstairs, bar downstairs and electro indie nights in the basement. Really great venue but find out what's on first.

Big Hands - Ace bar but out of the way a little unless you're at the Academy (Which it's next to). Very small, great atmosphere and usually pretty good DJ's playing anything from Ska and Two tone to Electro indie and Dub.

I'm up in Manchester for The Pogues gig on Saturday 13 Dec and am looking for a club to go on to afterwards. Has anyone been to Clint Boon's night at South on a Saturday? Any good? What's the music / atmosphere / clientele like?

South IMO is by far the best club in Manchester. Although i prefere Friday to Saturday myself.

It depends what sort of indie you like mate.

5th Avenue/42nd Street plays your indie-by-numbers baggy/Nu-indie and the odd sixties. But it's music you can set your watch by and you feel like a dinosaur if you're over 25.

Star and Garter - 'Smile' is Manchester's longest running indie club. My favourite (Bit biased because I DJ there) and a bit more eclectic than others. But it's far more homely and welcoming.

Brickhouse/Venue - Not been in these places for ages but it's kinda like 5th Avenue but for more of an older crowd. Brickhouse I'd say is the better option.

Not much changed since my student days (early-mid 90s) by the sound of it. I definitely think I'd be a bit old for 5th Ave / 42nd St now. Used to love My Generation nights at The Brickhouse circa '94.

Was also a regular at Smile - can't believe it's still going. Might give that a shot, we are staying at Ancoats Travelodge so it's not too far to get back after. Just hope it's as good as it used to be. They used to play a decent amount of sixties garage / girl groups - is it still the same?

Edited by oafc_ok

Was also a regular at Smile - can't believe it's still going. Might give that a shot, we are staying at Ancoats Travelodge so it's not too far to get back after. Just hope it's as good as it used to be. They used to play a decent amount of sixties garage / girl groups - is it still the same?

If it's the mid to late 90's when you were last at Smile then it's changed a bit. Still play the odd garage/girl group thing but not on the scale as it used to. It probably leans a bit more towards electro with things like Justice, Fischerspooner, Goldfrapp, Daft Punk being played quite a bit too. But you do still get a decent sprinkling of the old stuff, for example I played Them, The Supremes, Nancy Sinatra and The Standells last Saturday.

Here's a playlist I did last February. The music hasn't really changed greatly since so it's a a decent idea of what you'd expect...

Saturday 2nd Feb 2008.

The Aisler’s Set // Mission Bells

Regina Spektor // Better

Even As We Speak // Bizarre Love Triangle

The Magnetic Fields // Drive On Driver

Jesus And Mary Chain // Just Like Honey

Jens Lekman // The Opposite Of Hallelujah

Belle & Sebastian // Roy Walker

The Shins // Kissing The Lipless

St. Etienne // Only Love Can Break Your Heart

These Dancing Days // Hitten

Lush // 500 (Shake Baby Shake)

Band Of Horses // Is There A Ghost?

Smog // Dress Sexy At My Funeral

The Arcade Fire // Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)

British Sea Power // Waving Flags

Stereolab // French Disko

The Dandy Warhols // Every Day Should Be A Holiday

The Clash // Straight To Hell

Blood Red Shoes // You Bring Me Down

Battles // Atlas

LCD Soundsystem // Losing My Edge

Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip // Thou Shalt Not Kill

Depeche Mode // Personal Jesus

The Slits // I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Foals // Hummer

Joy Division // Transmission

The Strokes // 12:15

Sonic Youth // Teenage Riot

Hole // Celebrity Skin

TV On The Radio // Wolf Like Me

Suede // Animal Nitrate

Radiohead // The Bends

David Bowie // Queen Bitch

Roxy Music // Love Is The Drug

Talking Heads // Burning Down The House

Dexy’s Midnight Runners // Jackie Wilson Said (I’m In Heaven When You Smile)

Edwin Starr // 25 Miles

Stevie Wonder // Uptight (Everything’s Alright)

Patrick Wolf // The Magic Position

Pete & The Pirates // Mr. Understanding

The Pixies // Gigantic

The Selector // On My Radio

Devo // Whip It

New Order // Regret

Jane Wiedlin // Rush Hour

The Beastie Boys // No Sleep Til Brooklyn

NWA // Express Yourself

MIA // Paper Planes

The Ting Tings // That’s Not My Name

Technotronic // Pump Up The Jam

The B52’s // Rock Lobster

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah // By The Skin Of My Yellow Country Teeth

Pulp // Babies

The Smiths // What Difference Does It Make?

The Cure // Lovecats

Super Furry Animals // The Man Don’t Give A Fúck

Bob Dylan // Highway 61 Revisited

The Rolling Stones // Paint It Black

Deep Purple // Hush

The White Stripes // Hotel Yorba

The Only Ones // Another Girl, Another Planet

The Dead Kennedy’s // California Uber Alles

The Violent Femmes // Blister In The Sun

OMD // Enola Gay

Kate Bush // Wuthering Heights

Sandie Shaw // There’s Always Something There To Remind Me

Belle & Sebastian // Lazy Line Painter Jane

Soft Cell // Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

Here's a playlist I did last February. The music hasn't really changed greatly since so it's a a decent idea of what you'd expect...

Don't really know the more recent stuff on there but everything else looks good to me. We'll definitely be going. Are you DJing on 13th Dec?

Edited by oafc_ok

Don't really know the more recent stuff on there but everything else looks good to me. We'll definitely be going. Are you DJing on 13th Dec?

I don't think so but I could be. I usually find out about a week or two in advance. If I'm not doing owt I may have a trawl down that night myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Tried to PM you but it says your inbox is full.

Ooh yeah, it is. Exile told me about that too. I'll go and make some room.

ADMINS - Any chance of a bigger inbox for us all? Most forums I go on seem to let you have far more than about 50 messages.

Edit: Room made at the inn.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly