back to todays win

with all the talk about hughesy going on ,its time to talk about todays win thank god for lidds ,pity about smalley getting hurt thou ,hope its not serious and he will be fit for tuesday ,byfield cannot play and hughesy banned , who will be playing up front?

Edited by boboafc

Hughes CAN play on Tuesday - the ban comes in 7 days from the offence when it's for 2 yellows. Only a straight red is immediate. So he will play with Allessandra I imagine.

FA discipliniary quote:

"A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for receiving a second caution in the

same match will be suspended automatically from FTCM commencing forthwith, until

such time as his Club’s First Team has completed its next FTCM."

I read that as banned immediately for one game.

Edited by opinions4u

is hughes banned on tuesday or next saturday?

but, on a more postive note, sounds like byfield had a great game.

good job we won today as we havent moved up at all. still 7th, we would have dropped to 8th if we had lost. the top boys all won except leeds and leicester.

when did lidds last miss a pen, must be years ago now. brilliant.

Apart from Hughes it all sounds pretty positive, getting back to winning way is the important thing. Still gutted to see we're still 7th.

Best part of today is seeing scum lose at bellend road

ha ha i know, bet that went down like a lead balloon, local derby too, couldnt stop chortling.

Hughes CAN play on Tuesday - the ban comes in 7 days from the offence when it's for 2 yellows. Only a straight red is immediate. So he will play with Allessandra I imagine.

no. 2 yellows comes in straight away. straight red is a week after, to allow time for an appeal. referee training an all....... :grin:

Byfield was quality today, very impressive debut. Showed skill and never really stopped running. To be honest, I thought we were unlucky not to get one or two goals. Hughes had 2 goals ruled out for offside one of which seemed a dodgy decision to me and he managed to get a shot in a bit later after beating his man, only to hit the crossbar.

His first booking was pathetic though, smacked the ball out which was totally unnecessary and late on in the game, my dad was desperate for him to get subbed before he got sent off. Have to say he was unlucky with the second because it looked like he slipped and caught that Cobblers player rather than fouling him. Didn't really help himself by refusing the leave the pitch though.

Lids was rather frustrating today, proved that we're just crying out for someone with pace on the right.

Thought Maher and Allott were pretty good today, both got forward with Allott managing to get a few shots in.

Jones was disappointing as defending but quality going forward. Even Constantine with his lack of pace managed to cause a couple of problems, but nothing serious.

If I were Shez, I'd definately go with Stam and Hazell as our centre back partnership vs Cheltenham. Both won practically everything in the air, it was real no nonsense defending from them both and I honestly think Stam did enough today to keep Gregan out for the next couple of games.

Edited by carrabanana

Hughes had 2 goals disallowed for offside which were very dubious to me. Second booking was a joke too. The guy ran straight into Hughes, he couldnt do a thing, The ref must have had his card out of his pocket and raised very quickly because I only saw him put the card back in his pocket, I believe Hughes didnt see him getting carded, afterall the ref was half the pitch away and Hughes had his back to him when the foul was commited. Very harsh IMO

Byfield was quality today, very impressive debut. Showed skill and never really stopped running. To be honest, I thought we were unlucky not to get one or two goals. Hughes had 2 goals ruled out for offside one of which seemed a dodgy decision to me and he managed to get a shot in a bit later after beating his man, only to hit the crossbar post.

His first booking was pathetic though, smacked the ball out which was totally unnecessary and late on in the game, my dad was desperate for him to get subbed before he got sent off. Have to say he was unlucky with the second because it looked like he slipped and caught that Cobblers player rather than fouling him. Didn't really help himself by refusing the leave the pitch though.

Thought Maher and Allott were pretty good today, both got forward with Allott managing to get a few shots in.

If I were Shez, I'd definately go with Stam and Hazell as our centre back partnership vs Cheltenham. Both won practically everything in the air, it was real no nonsense defending from them both and I honestly think Stam did enough today to keep Gregan out for the next couple of games.

I agree with your assessment (subject to slight correction), except for Hughes' second booking. It was a long way from us, and about 20yards from the ref, but I got the impression that Hughes instinctively blocked their player as he kept the ball in and attempted to get past Hughes. Hughes' refusal to leave the field, until Tommy dragged him off, will probably be in the ref's report, so we may not have heard the last of it.

Agree with you about Byfield, but his very impressive debut was marred by a yellow card for a dive. He lay on the pitch pretending to have been felled, and the ref went over, offered him one hand to lift him to his feet and showed him the card with the other. Taylor has lost the cheating from his game, let's hope Shez has a word with Byfield, as we can't afford many more unnecessary yellow cards.

...I got the impression that Hughes instinctively blocked their player as he kept the ball in and attempted to get past Hughes...

Just watched it on The Championship and it confirms what I thought.

Bearing in mind that it was late in the game and their defender was rounding Hughes in readiness to launch another desperate attack, trying to equalise (their keeper had already been in our penalty area for a corner before stoppage time was announced) the ref had no alternative but to book Hughes. It happened right in front of Shez, who made no protest.

It was stupid of Hughes to do it, especially as he had been so petulant to get his first booking. When he was dragged off the field eventually by Tommy, we had lost the outlet of two strikers to relieve the pressure at the back. Hughes could have cost us at least two points by his stupidity - the fact that he didn't was down to good fortune and time running out.

He is a class above most players at this level. He was unlucky with his two disallowed goals yesterday - he took each of them very well. His twisting and turning to earn the penalty was brilliant. If he could just cut out the needless actions that bring the yellow cards, he would be more likely to get a good run of games, with the goals flying in and his confidence, and everyone else's soaring.

Come on Lee, keep your mind on the job and your body on the pitch!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns