Just watched LW

Yes the sending off was a joke but when you're on a yellow card anything can happen and if he wasn't such an idiot he wouldn't be serving a ban.

The raely wrong Chron says:

Hughes, unquestionably, collected a pointless yellow card for kicking the ball away in the first half. He later committed a few niggly fouls. But the second booking was rough as Northampton’s Kyle Walker over-reacted to a minor touch.

The point is that ater those "few niggly fouls" the ref called Hughes over to give him a final warning. Then he commits the "minor touch" foul and the ref couldn't wait to whip out both cards.

When the ref gives Gary Neville three warnings for bad fouls at Old Stretford, if he commits a fourth one he knows he'll get a yellow. He then has three more chances before he gets his second. He's not daft enough to commit that eighth bad foul. Unfortunately Latics players don't get as many chances as ManUre's but warnings must be heeded.

I'll admit I get fristrated with the way Hughes seems to approach the game at times - he seems to play the game on the very edge of the law/spirit of the game e.g. you can see him winding oppo players up quite a bit on the pitch

He also seems willing to give a bit of an extra shove etc at times knowing he'll get a foul against him, but perhaps the 'roughness' of his approach puts the defender off one of the next few times Hughes gets a chance?

As part of this 'make-up' comes the unecessary yellow card - kicking the ball away, deliberate hand-ball, the shove after his has lost the ball to a defender shielding it out, persistent foul-play (but intimidating the player?).

I would love Hughes to not get these 'unecessary' bookings. But I also believe he would lose something of a player if he didn't play the game as his does.

So rather that the extra 2 games meaning more assists and more goals, it might be that as a player he would be less effective despite more time on the pitch?

12 games

6 gols

5 assists

yep, its definatley you who doesnt understand

Off these stats though think of it this way

12games

6goals

5assists

7yellows

1red

4/5 yellows for dissent.

It does make you think that he should really think about his reaction. It always wonders me though as he always plays with a smile on his face.