Walsall game highlights - Virgin Media

Ok - why no Hughes celebration <enter conspiracy theory about January transfer window / argument with Corney>

Their first goal - partly Crossley's fault, but the height of the delivery was awkward, partly Gregan's fault, but the power of the header from Rickett's was excellent. Let's put it down to a well worked set piece by our opponents. And let's try to replicate it! We're probably sh** at defending corners because in training nobody can deliver a decent enough high ball to practice against.

Their second goal - superb.

Both Hughes' goals were magnificent finishes - but credit to Jones on the second one where he ran 50 yards to get the return from O'Grady.

Genuine question:

As the ball comes over from the corner, does Crossley lower his arms because the ball is too high to reach, or because he thinks it is about to hit or go over the bar, before Ricketts heads it in right by the angle of post and bar?

I think the former.

I think we all realise that at some point, probably this season, Crossley will get injured and Fleming will replace him permanantly.

He does still have something to offer though and I was impressed a few minutes after being exposed at that corner how he came out to gather a high ball 12-15 yards from his line.

I think the former.

This is what I posted and, after watching it a few times, I'm convinced I was correct.

I got the impression that the trajectory made it too awkward for Crossley to take, and the only person who knew what was happening was Ricketts.

I also posted today, in disagreement with danoafc, that Ricketts was nearer than one yard, and the video confirms that he was not much more than the ball's width from the post/crossbar when he headed it.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

After watching our highlights, had a quick peek at Stockport's to see Davies' penalty.

How happy does he look to be there? :shock: What's the likelihood of him coming back, and staying beyond January? I've not seen a celebration like that from a Latics player in a good long while.

This is what I posted and, after watching it a few times, I'm convinced I was correct.

I also posted today, in disagreement with danoafc, that Ricketts was nearer than one yard, and the video confirms that he was not much more than the ball's width from the post/crossbar when he headed it.

Walsall's goal was just an example of what happens with a very well delivered corner. The fact that we are griping about it is purely because we never put one in ourselves that is impossible to defend perfectly. They did. Crossley was screwed, he knew he wouldn't reach it. David James wouldn't have reached it, it had perfect line, bend and dip, and Walsall had someone who is dead big and good at headers waiting on the end, just where the bloke was kicking it to.

Stop bitching about Crossley, let's score a few of those ourselves, because no keeper in the league can do anything about a ball like that. Goals from corners and the lack thereof may have cost us big time in two of the last 3 seasons - go figure!

PS - DJ and Hughesy seem to be on a wavelength! And the credit for Ratters deflection is all Oldham, as they had two men on Taylor when the one to stop the shot was elsewhere.

Walsall's goal was just an example of what happens with a very well delivered corner. The fact that we are griping about it is purely because we never put one in ourselves that is impossible to defend perfectly. They did. Crossley was screwed, he knew he wouldn't reach it. David James wouldn't have reached it, it had perfect line, bend and dip, and Walsall had someone who is dead big and good at headers waiting on the end, just where the bloke was kicking it to.

Stop bitching about Crossley, let's score a few of those ourselves, because no keeper in the league can do anything about a ball like that. Goals from corners and the lack thereof may have cost us big time in two of the last 3 seasons - go figure!

PS - DJ and Hughesy seem to be on a wavelength! And the credit for Ratters deflection is all Oldham, as they had two men on Taylor when the one to stop the shot was elsewhere.

Still think Crossley should have done better - would be interesting to hear what the Temple himself would have to say... :lol:

What an awesome pass from Allot for the second goal!

Jones just seems to take it in his stride (class act)

But our third is superb, Jones isnt on the camera at all when the pass is made and then appears to put a delightful ball in ,

Great finish from Hughes,

In regards to no celebration from Hughes, on the second he goes and slaps TW and Shezs hand, I personally think they was going to take Hughes off but he said let me stay on i will score. just a theory though

EDIT *** Just realise it was Dux's hand not Shez's

Edited by razza699

Stop bitching about Crossley, let's score a few of those ourselves, because no keeper in the league can do anything about a ball like that.

So you think Roy was wrong (separate thread) to give Norm a hard time throughout the game, and pollute the minds of the LW listeners? If only he'd had my view of it from the Chaddy! B) If in doubt, keep stum!!

Roy was wrong. Down to marking but that said it was a perfect delivery. It is a trait of some fans to choose to dislike a player then heap blame on that player for virtually everything that goes wrong. Been going on since I started watching in 1958 (Peter Phoenix was the victim then)