Latest score

Nik do you actually just support Oldham athletic to show your pessimistic side. Thats a great result and when apparent ridiculous pens happen, you cant exactly call it crumbling. John Sheridan cant be blamed for a poor back pass by Reuben Hazell.

How on earth can you be calling Shez out after a result like that. Peterborough will be one of the challenging teams and if were a place behind them come the 46games well have a great chance of being promoted. Your view is just weird, its not even that its completely unjust its just what the hell are you thinking.

Edited by youngen

Nik next time you start your whinging perhaps you should at least wait till the end of the game. Its a 90 minute game and its the score at the end that matters. To go to Peterborough and get a point is a very good result and shows this year may be the year we will be promoted. In previous years we would have come back with nothing.

You dont even have the decency to say that you were talking absolute crap.

and we've moved up a place!

edit No we haven't I'm talking rubbish. Got too giddy over that result. Got to agree with you Dave I put that one down for a home on the coupon.

By my reckoning we are now 3 points in front of where we should be if we want 85 points to go up.

Have you predicted all the results? Is 85 points normal for getting promoted with? I think this season looks tougher than most seasons with Leeds not in the play-offs.

I think it was Nik that was a Ritchie outer back in the old "inside the web" board days.

There's no point is getting rid of a manager unless there's a realistically better, available replacement. Not when you're in the play off places especially. And not when you're operating to a budget that incudes selling players to balance the books.

Who on earth would we get in that would do a better job and would leave their current job?

KTF Nik!

Have you predicted all the results? Is 85 points normal for getting promoted with? I think this season looks tougher than most seasons with Leeds not in the play-offs.

I posted this before the season started

For the last couple of seasons I've looked at the fixtures ahead and tried to plot what we have to do to get promotion (yes I know but it's better than working)

In the past 7 years the following points totals have got second place

07/08-82

06/07-85

05/06-79

04/05-86

03/04-83

02/03-86

01/02-84

The higher points totals tend to come when someone runs away at the top e.g Wigan or Luton which i think may happen this year so I would say 85 should be the number to look at.

I reckon this would mean 25 wins, 10 draws and 11 defeats

So 4 sides who we will only get one point off from the 2 games against them

Brighton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Leeds

7sides who we will get 3 point off from the 2 games against them

Colchester,MKD,Northampton,Millwall,Scunthorpe, Southend,Peterborough,

6 sides who we will get 4 points off from the 2 games against them

Bristol R,Carlisle,Stockport,Cheltenham, Tranmere,Walsall

6sides who we will get 6 points off from the 2 games against them

Crewe,Hartlepool, Leyton O, Hereford, Yeovil, Swindon

The problem last year were the 6 pointers I predicted which just didn't happen as we really struggled against some of the lower teams. The bonuses were against Leeds,Swansea and Tranmere. The crap start always meant we were about 6/7 points behind where i predicted we should be throughout the season and that ended up being the defecit more of less.

Anyway lets see what happens, can't wait!

So far I've got 9 out of 20 right! We are up on the sides I thought might be up there (2 of them aren't) and down on the games against the strugglers (who i seem to have got right)

This year no one looks like they will run away with it so the 2nd spot should be less than 85. However there does seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that the top 6/7 are pulling away and the bottom 7/8 are losing ground already, so it maybe the points for going up are high and for staying up are low. You will see that our next 2 games are against my '6 pointers' therefore must be won.

Laticnik must be gutted - we got a brilliant away point today so we wont all be asking for shezza to be ousted - beggars belief really - sounds like a biased referee again - good job I werent there think i would have physically exploded - well done boys, another point on the board - need to make BP a fortress and we've cracked it! :headbang::bblue2:

Of course I'm made up with the result but still doesn't make up for the shortcomings Shez has a manager.

How many more times shall we throw away, in the first 45 minutes, the 'hard work' done in training all week?

A draw away from home to a team above us is an excellent result. Another crumbling in the first 30 mins or so is inexcusable.

E4e

ENUFF

Were you there today? No you weren't. We didn't crumble in the first 30 min. We were punished by a useless referee who gave 2 joke penalties. The first goal was a rally wicked deflection off Hazel and their guy should have been sent off for the tackle on Jones. The lads played well today, showed great desire and could well have won. They don't need ill informed opinions from someone who wasn't there. We have a very good away record so you should be going. Every game is an away game for me.

I posted this before the season started

For the last couple of seasons I've looked at the fixtures ahead and tried to plot what we have to do to get promotion (yes I know but it's better than working)

In the past 7 years the following points totals have got second place

07/08-82

06/07-85

05/06-79

04/05-86

03/04-83

02/03-86

01/02-84

The higher points totals tend to come when someone runs away at the top e.g Wigan or Luton which i think may happen this year so I would say 85 should be the number to look at.

I reckon this would mean 25 wins, 10 draws and 11 defeats

So 4 sides who we will only get one point off from the 2 games against them

Brighton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Leeds

7sides who we will get 3 point off from the 2 games against them

Colchester,MKD,Northampton,Millwall,Scunthorpe, Southend,Peterborough,

6 sides who we will get 4 points off from the 2 games against them

Bristol R,Carlisle,Stockport,Cheltenham, Tranmere,Walsall

6sides who we will get 6 points off from the 2 games against them

Crewe,Hartlepool, Leyton O, Hereford, Yeovil, Swindon

The problem last year were the 6 pointers I predicted which just didn't happen as we really struggled against some of the lower teams. The bonuses were against Leeds,Swansea and Tranmere. The crap start always meant we were about 6/7 points behind where i predicted we should be throughout the season and that ended up being the defecit more of less.

Anyway lets see what happens, can't wait!

So far I've got 9 out of 20 right! We are up on the sides I thought might be up there (2 of them aren't) and down on the games against the strugglers (who i seem to have got right)

This year no one looks like they will run away with it so the 2nd spot should be less than 85. However there does seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that the top 6/7 are pulling away and the bottom 7/8 are losing ground already, so it maybe the points for going up are high and for staying up are low. You will see that our next 2 games are against my '6 pointers' therefore must be won.

This shows you have a lot of time for Latics because l don't have all that time or effect to be bothered to come up with something like this. The only problem is we are more likely to beat Scunthope and Leeds than Yeovil and Swindon. If we only faced the top half teams we would walk this league. Anyway good job hope we hit the magic 85 points. Maybe you should create a thread with this on then you add to it and say if we need to get a win, draw or its a bonus game.

Jeez Nik - can tell you weren't there today. Normally when a ref is bad it can't all be his fault - today it really was. From the first 5 minutes you could tell we were going to have to play well to get anything out of the game with the way they passed and moved.

Just when we seemed to be settling down they score a fluke, a cross from the right wing which Stammy did really well to get a block in, which unfortunately looped up and over Fleming and dropped in - no fault of anyone's, it was only a speculative cross by McClean because there was nobody in the box!

10 minutes later, again just as we start getting the ball down and playing a bit they get a penalty which I'm unsure about - if it was a foul I think it was outside of the box, so for me, if it wasn't a foul then it had to be handball(?) by Fleming, either way, once a foul was given GF was very lucky to stay on the pitch, but what made a superb save from a pretty decent penalty - to make it better he pushed it wide so there was no rebound opportunity.

Even up to this point the game had been fairly even, nothing between 2 decent teams apart from a fluke goal. Then Mr Williamson gives them another penalty when CMS missed a diving header - apparantly Stammy pushed him, he would have had a job mind, he was no where near him!!! Even their players could not believe it!

CMS steps up - Fleming went the right way and it hit the post, could have gone anywhere but just to sum up our first 35 minutes it bounced right into the path of McClean who shinned it goalwards but with Fleming on his backside there was nothing he could do.

So all of a sudden we're 2-0 down through no fault of our own in a game where we've been every bit as good as them.

What we saw then from fans, players and staff alike in terms of passion was fantastic, in fact I've not seen an Oldham mentality like that for a long long time, every one pulling together because it was us v the world. The fact that the lads went in 2-1 down and didnt let their heads drop after the 2nd fluke goal and shocking refereeing was a credit to them and their will not to be beaten. We all pulled together and were arguably the better side in the second half and nearly nicked it at the end when somehow Taylors shot was headed off the line - that was awesome defending by the way!!

Overall we would all have taken a point before hand, and when we went 2 down in such shocking circumstances we would have all killed for a point. The performance the 481 of us saw (which from your comments Nik you obviously didn't) made me so proud to be an Oldham fan - the boys were magnificent and deserved to walk away with all three points.

Get a grip and if you dont witness games keep your ill informed comments to yourself.

We all kept the faith today and it paid off.

Well done lads - I'm proud of you and I'm sure the other 480 are too.

Of course I'm made up with the result but still doesn't make up for the shortcomings Shez has a manager.

How many more times shall we throw away, in the first 45 minutes, the 'hard work' done in training all week?

A draw away from home to a team above us is an excellent result. Another crumbling in the first 30 mins or so is inexcusable.

E4e

ENUFF

Sorry Nik, but your way out of line. I'll put that down to the fact that you weren't there today and presumably not there at Southend or Northampton 2 games that we won of course.

Your comment/opinion is wrong because

firstly, we played well in the opening 45 minutes today,

secondly, the opening goal was a pure fluke, with McClean floating over a cross which deflected off Stam and looped up in a different direction and over Fleming into the top far corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Thirdly, the 2 penalty decisions were baffling! Ok they weren't. They were down right biased. The first followed a backward header from Hazel, which whilst a little short, Fleming got to and pushed sideways. The Liner, who was perfectly in line did not signal an infringement, however, the referee, who was some 30 yards behind play around the edge of the centre circle awarded the spot kick. An unbelievable poor decision which infuiated the players immensely. The second award followed an alleged push by Hazel on Mikel-Smith (sp) which nobody else in the gound including the Boro players had noticed or indeed appealed for. Again the liner was perfectly positioned and again did not attempt to signal an infringment. Even more baffling from the referee is that both these decisions must have led to denying goalscoring opportunities so having awarded the penalties should have resulted in red cards. In the event, Fleming was yellow carded and no action was taken against Hazel.

Fourthly, we were forced to re-jig following the loss of Jones and the team adapted well (incidently, from my position I thought that their player had taken the ball first and must have caught Jones with the follow through, but the referee who for once was well positioned certainly believed that Jones had been fouled. Again our players were furious and the way their lad dived in, if he did not get the ball, then the challenge had to be a red card offence yet the ref bottled it as I said before - biased *)

I cannot give much weight to your argument Nik that we are throwing away a weeks hard work in the 1st 45 minutes again and again. The results and performances particularly away from home do not back up your argument. We play 23 different teams twice a season and each of those teams have different styles. Some suit the way we play and some don't. Can we adapt to overcome those styles of play that don't suit our own style? The answer is yes and no. Sometimes we do and sometiomes like last week against Brighton we can't. Those that we struggle against tend to be the teams coming to BP usually 10 or 11 men behind the ball trying to frustrate us and without early goals the games do become frustrating. Away from home it tends to be different in that teams that would come to BP and defend in numbers can't do that at home (I don't know why, maybe its the expectancy of the home fans - now that sounds familiar) and we get more space to play our natural game. You will always get results like Bristol and Swindon, they happen and you don't go a season undefeated, unless you are called Arsenal.

As for the Shez out comment, at 4.45 last Saturday, I could have sympathised with you as I was as frustrated and fed up as the next fan at dropping 2 points against 10 men that were imo there for the taking. However, today, was a point gained particularly coming from 2 down, 1 a fluke and the second from a (non) penalty that Boro were lucky came back straight th their player.

Fianlly just going back to the Jones incident, although not similar, it reminded me of the Gregan sending off at Hartlepool. With the way the rules are enforced these days, if you don't get the ball you are going to see red for that type of challenge and if thats how they are going to enforce the rules the referees need to be consistent. ( See below for my thoughts on todays ref and consistency)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Harry

* Ian Williamson is a referee I have seen a number of times refing non tics games. He has a tendancy to favour the home team and is too card happy for my liking. He is also very inconsistent and fails to apply the laws of the game. That IMO is what makes him desparatly crap when he then referees your team. If I was a Peterboro fan I would be thinking that my team should have been facing 9 men this afternoon and in their position I couldn't argue with that. As a tic, we were hard done by today. 2 poor penalty decisions and the worst challenge of the match putting 1 of our players out of action and the ref if he sees it as a foul, which he clearly has, then fails to send the player off. It's a good job Shez was in the stand today, because he would have been sent off in that 1st half.

Sorry Nik, but your way out of line. I'll put that down to the fact that you weren't there today and presumably not there at Southend or Northampton 2 games that we won of course.

Your comment/opinion is wrong because

firstly, we played well in the opening 45 minutes today,

secondly, the opening goal was a pure fluke, with McClean floating over a cross which deflected off Stam and looped up in a different direction and over Fleming into the top far corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Thirdly, the 2 penalty decisions were baffling! Ok they weren't. They were down right biased. The first followed a backward header from Hazel, which whilst a little short, Fleming got to and pushed sideways. The Liner, who was perfectly in line did not signal an infringement, however, the referee, who was some 30 yards behind play around the edge of the centre circle awarded the spot kick. An unbelievable poor decision which infuiated the players immensely. The second award followed an alleged push by Hazel on Mikel-Smith (sp) which nobody else in the gound including the Boro players had noticed or indeed appealed for. Again the liner was perfectly positioned and again did not attempt to signal an infringment. Even more baffling from the referee is that both these decisions must have led to denying goalscoring opportunities so having awarded the penalties should have resulted in red cards. In the event, Fleming was yellow carded and no action was taken against Hazel.

Fourthly, we were forced to re-jig following the loss of Jones and the team adapted well (incidently, from my position I thought that their player had taken the ball first and must have caught Jones with the follow through, but the referee who for once was well positioned certainly believed that Jones had been fouled. Again our players were furious and the way their lad dived in, if he did not get the ball, then the challenge had to be a red card offence yet the ref bottled it as I said before - biased *)

I cannot give much weight to your argument Nik that we are throwing away a weeks hard work in the 1st 45 minutes again and again. The results and performances particularly away from home do not back up your argument. We play 23 different teams twice a season and each of those teams have different styles. Some suit the way we play and some don't. Can we adapt to overcome those styles of play that don't suit our own style? The answer is yes and no. Sometimes we do and sometiomes like last week against Brighton we can't. Those that we struggle against tend to be the teams coming to BP usually 10 or 11 men behind the ball trying to frustrate us and without early goals the games do become frustrating. Away from home it tends to be different in that teams that would come to BP and defend in numbers can't do that at home (I don't know why, maybe its the expectancy of the home fans - now that sounds familiar) and we get more space to play our natural game. You will always get results like Bristol and Swindon, they happen and you don't go a season undefeated, unless you are called Arsenal.

As for the Shez out comment, at 4.45 last Saturday, I could have sympathised with you as I was as frustrated and fed up as the next fan at dropping 2 points against 10 men that were imo there for the taking. However, today, was a point gained particularly coming from 2 down, 1 a fluke and the second from a (non) penalty that Boro were lucky came back straight th their player.

Fianlly just going back to the Jones incident, although not similar, it reminded me of the Gregan sending off at Hartlepool. With the way the rules are enforced these days, if you don't get the ball you are going to see red for that type of challenge and if thats how they are going to enforce the rules the referees need to be consistent. ( See below for my thoughts on todays ref and consistency)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Harry

* Ian Williamson is a referee I have seen a number of times refing non tics games. He has a tendancy to favour the home team and is too card happy for my liking. He is also very inconsistent and fails to apply the laws of the game. That IMO is what makes him desparatly crap when he then referees your team. If I was a Peterboro fan I would be thinking that my team should have been facing 9 men this afternoon and in their position I couldn't argue with that. As a tic, we were hard done by today. 2 poor penalty decisions and the worst challenge of the match putting 1 of our players out of action and the ref if he sees it as a foul, which he clearly has, then fails to send the player off. It's a good job Shez was in the stand today, because he would have been sent off in that 1st half.

:D

OK, I've been told. The Posh crumbling was the refs fault and the fact that Shez was tied and gagged up in the stand didn't help.

One down, three to go. The mighty Bristol Rovers, Swindon and Real Cheltenham. Who's going to start the bidding?

And no, I was at none of the above games. Much better things to spend my hard earned on.

E4e

APPLE

OK, I've been told. The Posh crumbling was the refs fault and the fact that Shez was tied and gagged up in the stand didn't help.

One down, three to go. The mighty Bristol Rovers, Swindon and Real Cheltenham. Who's going to start the bidding?

And no, I was at none of the above games. Much better things to spend my hard earned on.

E4e

APPLE

Why not listen to the people who went and take note instead of submitting posts based on your lack of knowledge. The tone of your message implies that the we were outplayed in the first half and helped out by the ref to come back to draw which on both points is totally wrong.

So stand up and admit graciously you were wrong on this one and give the team and management a compliment! Go on, you can do it.

E4e

APPLE

Nik, did you read my post? I think not. for your benefit here is waht I said about Bristol & Swindon: -

"You will always get results like Bristol and Swindon, they happen and you don't go a season undefeated, unless you are called Arsenal."

That answered your point O believe.

How about turning your point on it's head, How the hell did we beat or pick up points against the mighty Leeds, Leicester, MK Dons, Peterboro etc who are all either "bigger Clubs" than us or wealthier clubs than we are? I mean we just shouldn't be beating such teams should we?

With regard to your comment about "the Posh Crumbling," well we the simple fact is that we didn't crumble. We played well virtually from start to finish. Whilst key decisions and luck deserted us in the first half hour, we were never out of the game, but as was pointed out to you you weren't there and are commenting on something you didn't see and I presume reading your post didn't listen to either.

Take your head out of your arse :ass1: and keep the faith

Cheers,

Harry