welcome to britain

boboafc

As in, I believe the blasé attutude of people in this country to what a problem it actually is, and the effects on our society really needs to change.

Yet life expectancy continues to increase.

The clear solution to this is to adopt the "Rochdale Road End" approach to life.

If you miss out on your favourite past time because you can't get through the turnstiles you will be motivated to do something about it.

Like sit in the Chaddy End instad!

So you want the government to ration cakes?

Yet life expectancy continues to increase.

The clear solution to this is to adopt the "Rochdale Road End" approach to life.

If you miss out on your favourite past time because you can't get through the turnstiles you will be motivated to do something about it.

Like sit in the Chaddy End instad!

It's not the government's problem. People need to take personal responsibility for some (a lot of) things.

Being obese without medical cause is one of those things IMO

:grin: @ O4U

It's not the government's problem. People need to take personal responsibility for some (a lot of) things.

Being obese without medical cause is one of those things IMO

:grin: @ O4U

You referred to how it affects society, which is the standard line for how the Government justifies interferring in private life...

Study reveals 'shocking' kebabs

Some 35% of doners contained a different meat than advertised

Doner kebabs sold in the UK contain "shocking" levels of salt, fat and calories, a survey has concluded.

Officers from 76 councils sampled 494 kebabs to test their nutritional value, during the Local Authority Coordinators of Regulatory Services (Lacors) study.

The average doner they tested contained almost 1,000 calories - half a woman's recommended daily intake.

Geoffrey Theobald, of Lacors, said: "The level of saturated fat and salt in some is a serious cause for concern."

He added that while they "would never consider kebabs part of a calorie-controlled diet" the true content of the average kebab was worrying.

Among the kebabs sampled - without salad or sauces - the average doner contained 98% of an adult's recommended daily salt and 148% of their daily saturated fat allowance.

Graph: Kebab content compared to recommended daily allowances

Under the supermarket "traffic lights" system, red marks would be earned by 97% for fat, 98% for saturated fat and 96% for salt.

Some 35% of labels listed a different meat species than that actually found in the kebab. This study has turned the spotlight on doner kebabs

Geoffrey Theobald

Lacors

How unhealthy is a doner?

Six kebabs were found to include pork when it had not been declared as an ingredient. Two of the six were described as Halal - food or drink permitted for Muslims, which must not contain pork.

Mr Theobald said it was "totally unacceptable" that people that with certain faiths were unknowingly eating meats that were against their beliefs.

The worst doners inspectors came across contained 1,990 calories before salad and sauces - over 95% of a woman's recommended daily calories, 346% of a woman's saturated fat intake and 277% of an adult's daily salt intake.

Researchers uncovered significant regional variations, with the average kebab in the north-west of England containing 1,101 calories, compared with 1,084 in Scotland, 1,055 in Wales and 1,066 in England's south-east.

Northern Ireland's average of 843 was the lowest in the UK.

Mr Theobald said it was "totally unacceptable" that inaccurate labelling was so widespread.

In addition, there was little difference in weight between kebabs labelled as "small" and "large", he added.

"While some people may think they are making sensible choices by ordering a small kebab, this study showed little difference between small and large kebab weight."

He said with obesity rates rising so rapidly in the UK, portion size was as important as content, he said.

"This study has turned the spotlight on doner kebabs and we hope that manufacturers rise to the challenge and work with councils to provide a healthier product that contains only what it says on the label," Mr Theobald said.

Research by the UK's Food Standards Agency in 2006 found that 18.5% of doner takeaways posed a "significant" threat to public health, and 0.8% posed an "imminent" threat.

What gets me about this country:

(1) Tax. I don't mind paying for stuff the state can organise better than individuals. Just seems that they can organise jack sh*t.

(2) Recession. They happen. But given all the tax I've paid (see point 1 above) wouldn't prudent Gordon have been a little bit more sensible to stick a little bit to one side in case of a rainy day.

(3) Immigration. It can be a positive thing in so many ways when it is managed and brings in skills we don't have. But when it isn't controlled it's a bad thing. Somebody convince me that the mass immigration of the last decade was not a deliberate government policy to try an increase the numbers of workers paying the pensions of an aging population.

(4) The government. They are meant to be the elected servants of the people. Not the other way round.

(5) Criminal justice. The 8 year sentence to Shannon Mather's mother means she has another 3 and a half years to serve. I had my car stolen. The police turned up to 'investigate' 2 weeks later.

(6) Rights. Due to having a penis, a job, a white skin and being under the age of 60 I am discriminated against in favour of just about every other sector of society. Why does everybody else have more rights than I do?

(7) Global warming. I was watching a programme on polar bears and grizzly bears last night. It started off by saying the planet was warmer 10,000 years ago. So this has clearly established that the fires of cavemen caused more climate problems than our factories and cars. Can I shove my carbon footprint up somebody's arse please because the whole concept is total and utter bolloc*s. And they expect us to pay more tax to reduce the carbon emissions that power our economies, thus generating less wealth for the people of this country in the future. Utter madness.

(8) Eductation. What is it about the state education system in this country that says just about every teenage should pass their "A" levels if they are capable of turning up for an exam - and that these pass marks justify 3 or 4 additional years of arsing about instead of getting a job straight away? We have an education system that brings everybody down to average, regardless of ability, or leaves them remaining at the bottom of the pile if they had no ability. You don't need to go to uni after getting E grades in "A" levels ffs and the state shouldn't encourage it.

(9) Health & Safety. Ear muffs for music teachers. Says it all.

(10) Politicians. The 9 points above really get my goat. Yet I can't see any politician who has the conviction or ability to sort it. That is, ultimately, the saddest indictment on UK 2009.

Agree on every single point there. 3,5,7,8&10 in particular. The thing is though, everything is f'd and nothing we can do is going to change it and it's bloody depressing.

*heads off to stick his head on a railway line*

*heads off to stick his head on a railway line*

lol!

If you want to off yourself on the railways, make sure that particular line hasn't stopped being served by the operators!

BR would have got yer, then it would have taken about fifty BR engineers to assess the damage - after a brew...