shez comments

Manager John Sheridan said anything other than a Scunthorpe win would have flattered his side after a tough evening in Lincolnshire.

Two first-half goals ensured the Iron's excellent home record rolls on at the expense of an Athletic outfit who triumphed 3-0 in the corresponding fixture earlier in the season.

"The goals were poor on our part and we just didn't react to Scunthorpe's style," Sheridan told Latics World.

"I was repeating myself before the game about how they play at a high tempo but we found ourselves with a mountain to climb at two goals down.

"We huffed and puffed but didn't take care of the ball. Our defending was sloppy at times and we just weren't good enough.

"Greg [Fleming] made some good saves for us but we gave the ball away too cheaply and you just can't do that."

Continuing, he said: "We had a good opportunity through Deane Smalley at the end of the first half and if that had gone in then it could have been a different game.

"Then we could have had goals in the second half, but it wasn't to be our night and it would have flattered us had we got something out of the game.

"I have to look at the team away from home. Even if we're doing well and winning at home, I think I need to make some brave decisions regarding personnel for away games."

Shez also revealed that he felt the Latics "goal" chalked off for an alleged offside late in the first half should have stood.

He added: "I don't know what the offside was given for because no-one was interfering with play."

again i have to make some brave decisions.....bloody make them then...

no point moaning he has to look at the players away from home as some dont perform,then pick the same team...its like saying if i stand on this garden rake its gonna smack me in the face and hurt....then standing on it!!!

Manager John Sheridan said anything other than a Scunthorpe win would have flattered his side after a tough evening in Lincolnshire.

Two first-half goals ensured the Iron's excellent home record rolls on at the expense of an Athletic outfit who triumphed 3-0 in the corresponding fixture earlier in the season.

"The goals were poor on our part and we just didn't react to Scunthorpe's style," Sheridan told Latics World.

"I was repeating myself before the game about how they play at a high tempo but we found ourselves with a mountain to climb at two goals down.

"We huffed and puffed but didn't take care of the ball. Our defending was sloppy at times and we just weren't good enough.

"Greg [Fleming] made some good saves for us but we gave the ball away too cheaply and you just can't do that."

Continuing, he said: "We had a good opportunity through Deane Smalley at the end of the first half and if that had gone in then it could have been a different game.

"Then we could have had goals in the second half, but it wasn't to be our night and it would have flattered us had we got something out of the game.

"I have to look at the team away from home. Even if we're doing well and winning at home, I think I need to make some brave decisions regarding personnel for away games."

Shez also revealed that he felt the Latics "goal" chalked off for an alleged offside late in the first half should have stood.

He added: "I don't know what the offside was given for because no-one was interfering with play."

again i have to make some brave decisions.....bloody make them then...

no point moaning he has to look at the players away from home as some dont perform,then pick the same team...its like saying if i stand on this garden rake its gonna smack me in the face and hurt....then standing on it!!!

Agree.

I think it has got to the point where he cannot afford not to make the braves decisions. Pretty certain we will be out of the top 6 once the games in hand are played.

It needs a few games for those decisions to work, but drilling in what is needed should make that change quicker.

I am not sure it is away games per se, just who you are playing against

Edited by singe

More nit picking over manager comments....

The problem Shez has is he dosent have a big enough pool of players to make any shocking big decisions... Only place I think it is really broke is central midfield... Only real way of solving it is to bring someone in and I dont see how that is possible as we must already be at the cap...

Agree.

I think it has got to the point where he cannot afford not to make the braves decisions. Pretty certain we will be out of the top 6 once the games in hand are played.

It needs a few games for those decisions to work, but drilling in what is needed should make that change quicker.

I am not sure it is away games per se, just who you are playing against

Boring boring boring!!!!

Same excuses after every defeat (which tends to coincide with every away game at the minute) -

Well I'm sorry if I don't believe you John because you've been saying that for 6 months and I'm still waiting. It's clear he has his favourites and that will never change.

That game last night was crying out for Davies, someone to be a nuisance, put their back 4 under pressure, scare them with his pace and hopefully create something because of that for Hughes, Windass, whoever. Where was he? On the bench? Nope left out completely! Great move John!!!

Boring boring boring!!!!

Same excuses after every defeat (which tends to coincide with every away game at the minute) -

Well I'm sorry if I don't believe you John because you've been saying that for 6 months and I'm still waiting. It's clear he has his favourites and that will never change.

That game last night was crying out for Davies, someone to be a nuisance, put their back 4 under pressure, scare them with his pace and hopefully create something because of that for Hughes, Windass, whoever. Where was he? On the bench? Nope left out completely! Great move John!!!

Yes I agree that we have heard this so many times:

'We didn't take care of the ball'

'Gave the ball away too cheaply'

'Standing off people'

'They don't listen'

'I have got to be brave'

'Perhaps I need to play different personnel away from home'

etc etc

And given all of the above, we were still third going into the game! That explains (in part) why Shez has stuck with the same personnel and systems - but it is now evident that he has to 'be brave' - he has to give one or two of the fringe players their chance.

Lee, Alessandra, Davies, Stephens - not one of them has been given a decent run (some not at all) in the side - not one of them has been given a real chance to show what they can do.

We can all go on about the merits of certain players and their contribution to the team - Lomax, Maher, Whittaker, Alessandra, Eardley spring to mind as obvious examples - but let's be bold Shez - let's see you be brave - I for one will back you

:wink:

More nit picking over manager comments....

The problem Shez has is he dosent have a big enough pool of players to make any shocking big decisions... Only place I think it is really broke is central midfield... Only real way of solving it is to bring someone in and I dont see how that is possible as we must already be at the cap...

its not nit picking....its getting tiresome hearing the same comments made after every defeat....if thats nit picking then fine

the point is you cant continue to come out with the same excuses after every defeat and continue to say im going to have to be brave and change things...then dont

the players who dont perform know who they are,yet by not dropping them and playing others they know there place is safe come what may.

as for not having a big enough pool of players,thats a joke,we have the biggest squad we have ever had under sheridan,and he isnt using it to its capacity.

windass is 39 years old and cant play at 100% 3 times a week..would of made more sense to drop him or rest him and put davies or lewis in for a bit of pace.

whittacker hasnt played well enough since the first 6 games yet still gets picked...yes he scored against stockport,but that was about it,did nothing else,and as im lead to believe last night went hiding again.....what exactly has maher or lee done wrong to get dropped???

at this stage of the season he should know his best team,who will get stuck in and who goes hiding and do something about it....but he hasnt and wont,and it will be his downfall if he isnt carefull.

Same old same old after every away deafeat, he says he is going to do this and that but never actually does it, davies last night would of hurt them badly with his pace. but no old time liddell came on instead and did f**k all aswell.

he needs to follow up on what he says other wise it will be yet ANOTHER season in league 1.

whittacker hasnt played well enough since the first 6 games yet still gets picked...yes he scored against stockport,but that was about it,did nothing else,and as im lead to believe last night went hiding again.....what exactly has maher or lee done wrong to get dropped???

The Rat and Whits at home

The Rat and Maher away

I thought we had 'worked this out' ages back?

Same old same old after every away deafeat, he says he is going to do this and that but never actually does it, davies last night would of hurt them badly with his pace. but no old time liddell came on instead and did f**k all aswell.

he needs to follow up on what he says other wise it will be yet ANOTHER season in league 1.

I agree Davies should have been on the bench but to be fair to Lids when they did manage to get the ball to him he did ok with it. The problem last night was the central midfield getting over run yet again