Not Surprised By Deadline Day.

But to be fair he has brought in Hughes, Fleming, Hazell, Gregan, Allott, Lee, Jones, Bertrand etc. So he's not done all that badly.

Barry Owen brought in Hughes, he brought in Fleming but refused to play him for months. Gregan, Allott and Bertrand I'll give you, but Lee has played two games and the jury is still massively out on DJ. Remember, we were unbeaten until he signed for us.

After, in his spell in charge, signing Kalala, Thompson, Byrne, Davies, COG, Maher, Livermore, Constantine, Blayney, Wood, Dabo, Molango, Miki Roque, Aljofree, Glombard, Ricketts, Robertson, O Donnell, Ormerod and Byfield.........

Thank God TTA didn't let Sheridan spend anymore money. (Jones excluded)

Indeed, imagine if he had signed another, Hughes, Allott, Gregan, Fleming, Crossley, Hazell, Jones, Bertrand, Windass, Clarke or Kilkenny!

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

A challenge for any of you, name every one of Sheridan's good signings.

Paddy, is this a game?

Lets look at Royle's buys shall we and get the "older" members to go through his signings and see what his ratio is like between good and bad buys, becasue I can tell you now there are enough of us on here to roll them off and Joe would tell you himself that he would agree with about 75% of the names we come up with.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Even for Taggart (although at that level the failure rate isn't as high as the better players are more able to adapt.)

In any event, I don't agree that all the names you have listed are bad buys/loans. I believe some are/were decent at least.

All a matter of opinion.

Cheers,

Harry

Paddy, is this a game?

Lets look at Royle's buys shall we and get the "older" members to go through his signings and see what his ratio is like between good and bad buys, becasue I can tell you now there are enough of us on here to roll them off and Joe would tell you himself that he would agree with about 75% of the names we come up with.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Even for Taggart (although at that level the failure rate isn't as high as the better players are more able to adapt.)

In any event, I don't agree that all the names you have listed are bad buys/loans. I believe some are/were decent at least.

All a matter of opinion.

Cheers,

Harry

I can't comment on any Royle signings as I don't remember them, but what I will say is that, in twelve years in charge of a club, you are bound to have a few flops.

Sheridan has been here 2 and a half years, and already has over twenty to his name.

Edited by Ohh Johnny Eyre

I can't comment on any Royle signings as I don't remember them, but what I will say is that, in twelve years in charge of a club, you are bound to have a few flops.

Sheridan has been here 2 and a half years, and already has over twenty to his name.

You'll find that it was more than a few.

And 20 is way over the top in my opinion.

Whilst Kalala, never impressed me, the reports on Thompson from the Forest fans and the bindippers were good. Davies was a good signing, before he got injured. McDonald was decent, I wished we had kept Clarke, in fact I wish we had him today. Maher is decent, so were Livermore, Constantine, Aljofree and Byfield imo.

Were they good enough to help us progress or what Shez needed is another matter. Some players work out, some don't. Some you initially think will but turn out to be a mare ala Ricketts and Wood.

Some are unfortunate such as Robertson who in his couple or so games looked promising before cruelly being struck down with injury.

Cheers,

Harry

Davies, Maher, Livermore, Constantine, Roque, Aljofree, Byfield.

As for the others. Byrne was brought in on trial, didn't do much wrong! Wood was **** hot in pre-season, Molango was brought in as temporary cover because we had no strikers, O'Donnell and Ledgzins were brought in as temporary cover as we had no keepers and Williams was brought in with potential but with a troubled background, one he couldn't shake off.

Kalala, Thompson, O'Grady, Dabo, Ricketts, Ormerod, Blayney I agree though were poor signings!

Kalala, Thompson, Byrne, Davies, COG, Maher, Livermore, Constantine, Blayney, Wood, Dabo, Molango, Miki Roque, Aljofree, Glombard, Ricketts, Robertson, O Donnell, Ormerod, Williams, Ledzgins and Byfield.

Count them.

Not going to defend all of these, but to claim some of these are abysmal signings is very wide of the truth... and would no unanimously unite the fans in hatred, which is the general indicator of terrible....

Constantine was better than fans gave him cretit for, Robertson for me looked decent (plus scored a great goal) then got injured - and is now playing relgularly in the champ - well, before his driving incident, Aljofree was ok and did a job as did Byrne, many were very sad to see livermore go who for once gave our team balance, Byfield for me was also better than so many thought...

Theres also that bit of luck, so many smaller teams sign players on recomendations, or simply as they are desperate and need to get bodies in... Glombard for example, we had to get a striker and he was all we could get, Roque - well he looked good on paper, and Blaney was ok for a reserve, its just he ended up playing in one of our biggest games of the last 10 years... O'Donnell, again we had to get a keeper and he was all that was available...

Ricketts fits into his own category... and widely renowned to have been signed by TTA....

Williams was a gamble that probably cost us nothing and didnt work out... no impact on the first team...

Dabo, well... maybe that secret will be revealed some day...

... and the rest... Pure and utter garbage.

You have picked players who were never going to change our team, they were brought in to do a job for the short term, or be bit part players. I'm not defending Shez to an extent as his decisions are frequently questionable.... but to be honest, that list is a load of balls....

.. and has been said, for permanent signings there are as many successes as failures.... Allott, Hazell, Gregan etc.. etc... and the ones he has got right have had far more bearing on our team than all those failures combined have detracted...

Kalala, Thompson, Byrne, Davies, COG, Maher, Livermore, Constantine, Blayney, Wood, Dabo, Molango, Miki Roque, Aljofree, Glombard, Ricketts, Robertson, O Donnell, Ormerod, Williams, Ledzgins and Byfield.

Count them.

Coming from someone who thinks John Eyre was some kind of footballing god, that list is pure comedy.

I would honestly say the benchmark for a manager at this level in terms of signings is 50%. i.e. Half of them turn out good or better.

Count them.

OF that list a fair few got almost the entire OWTB readership pretty excited about the future at the time, even noting their performances agaisnt us.

This morning I was full of anticipation of some wheeling and dealing. The deadline has passed and I feel somewhat underwhelmed. Yes, I am extremely pleased that Jones is back but what I really, really wanted was a midfield boss. Here's hoping someone turns up next week.

Coming from someone who thinks John Eyre was some kind of footballing god, that list is pure comedy.

I would honestly say the benchmark for a manager at this level in terms of signings is 50%. i.e. Half of them turn out good or better.

So where was the 50% in that lot????? I would put John Eyre up against any of them :grin: