Not Surprised By Deadline Day.

Where did Hughes move to? Have I missed that?

And what sort of money did we get for Taylor? I can't find that move either.

It's a shame we couldn't keep hold of them 2 after bringing Windass in and then getting Jones back too. Ah well, I guess that TTA are just trying to balance the budget with the Taylor and Hughes fees.

The wage bill has been reduced whilst retaining the two assets most capable of winning matches. Given the financial circumstances this was as much as we could realisticly ask for. Should he stay fit Mr Jones loan is a good move. Like others I am concerned about the lightweight and inexperienced midfield who are responsible for our recent ineffectiveness. Hopefully Shez has this covered, please not Killer there are not enough games left to get 3 good games out of him.

Don't think we have the strength in depth to make it to the Championship this year, but it won't stop me believing.

Kalala, Thompson, Byrne, Davies, COG, Maher, Livermore, Constantine, Blayney, Wood, Dabo, Molango, Miki Roque, Aljofree, Glombard, Ricketts, Robertson, O Donnell, Ormerod, Williams, Ledzgins and Byfield.

Count them.

Lets break this down then;

Ormerod, Constantine and Byfield were all proven goalscorers at this level, the first two having scored over 20 goals in previous seasons.

Davies - Top scorer in his first season at the club.

Livermore - Solid player, gave us some balance when we really needed it.

Maher - One of the crucial players in a Southend side that gained promotion from this league, also did well at Championship level.

Just for starters, they weren't bad signings at all (at least on paper). You can see what Shez is going for with many of these signings; players that have had success at this level before. It's not Sheridans fault some of them didn't work out, that's the way it happens at this level, some players succeed, others who have done well elsewhere struggle. Plus at least half of those players you've mentioned where signed as temporary cover, so it's hardly a fair assessment. Most managers at this level will have more or less the same ratio transfers wise as Sheridan.

Lets break this down then;

Ormerod, Constantine and Byfield were all proven goalscorers at this level, the first two having scored over 20 goals in previous seasons.

Davies - Top scorer in his first season at the club.

Livermore - Solid player, gave us some balance when we really needed it.

Maher - One of the crucial players in a Southend side that gained promotion from this league, also did well at Championship level.

Just for starters, they weren't bad signings at all (at least on paper). You can see what Shez is going for with many of these signings; players that have had success at this level before. It's not Sheridans fault some of them didn't work out, that's the way it happens at this level, some players succeed, others who have done well elsewhere struggle. Plus at least half of those players you've mentioned where signed as temporary cover, so it's hardly a fair assessment. Most managers at this level will have more or less the same ratio transfers wise as Sheridan.

and the other 16????????? yes thats right 16?????????................ :shock:

You seriously expect me to analyse every single signing Sheridan has made? He's got some wrong, and he's got some right.

No I dont. I am just starting to realise what some have been saying for ages that most signings havnt been great. I am more frustrated at the ones he has signed and doesnt give a chance.......... Lee, Stephens, O' Grady, Maher.................

and the other 16????????? yes thats right 16?????????................ :shock:

Were made up of loan signing and players to come in as stop gaps or cover would have cost the club very little. Not like Iain Dowie who spent 200K on Chris killen and gave him a 4 year deal on very good wages where he was injured for most of the time I bet we paid more to Chris killen in wages and the cost of the transfer fee than all those on the list combined. Or how about Joe Royle spending the clubs biggest ever transfer fee on Ian Olney 700k we got ONE season out of him that was it.

If we had paid a kings ransom for those players then we would be talking about John Sheridan in the past tense but we are not. It goes without saying that some of his decision making is questionable but to hold that list of players against him like that is ridiculous.

No I dont. I am just starting to realise what some have been saying for ages that most signings havnt been great. I am more frustrated at the ones he has signed and doesnt give a chance.......... Lee, Stephens, O' Grady, Maher.................

Yeh, but the start of this was someone saying maher is pants - he's one of shez's rubbish signings.

And about half that list is loanees - the whole point of a loan is to see if you want to keep/see what they are worth. So critcising shez for taking players on loan and not keeping them seems a bit odd? Almost like clutching at straws to find something else to whine about.

And taking just one of your "shez signed but didn't play him":- O'Grady - played 90 mins in 3 of the first 5 games, came on with 20 mins to play in the other 2. Came on as sub in the next 6 averaging 17 mins per game, then 90 mins in the next game.

Another sub and a full 90 mins in Nov. Rather knocks the "doesn't give a chance" thing on the head doesn't it? No goals. Not sure if he's got any assists?

Maher has played 90 mins in 12 games and came on as sub in 7 more. Is that untried too?

You've really got to start trying to construct these points based on facts.

Edited by real

[

When people talk about the budget you forget weve scrapped Kalalas, Thompsons, Davies (plus a fee) and by the sounds of it COGs wages and brought in Windass(whos wage is apparently half paid for by Hull still) and a Daniel Jones a young lad from Wolves, hardly earning a mint. Surely theres still a bit of money left for a half decent midfielder. If not get rid of Lee, Stephens or Wolfended on a loan somewhere and theres some extra money.

As for his signings once again our "minimal budget" has still spent silly money on players who couldnt cut it League 2 let alone top half League 1. Sometimes you must wonder whether Sheridan watches the players he signs or if he just gets scouts opinions and agrees to a signature, as I dont know why on earth we ever payed a fee for COG

Edited by youngen

I thought at the end of last season we could have made a bid for Constantine. He seemed to enjoy his time here, the younger forwards looked up to him and I reckon he would have made a good target man for Hughes.

the trouble was,he wasnt fit....like has been said going off his previous and reputation he was a good laon at the time...had he been fit i think we would of seen some goals off him.

the same can be pretty much said about 90% of loans coming in,they were all lacking fitness and match practice,and by the time they got some fitness back the loan was up,so you never got to see the best of them...

my point with loans is you shouldnt bring anyone in who is like for like,unless you have a bad injury list,then its unavoidable.

you should be bringing in loan players who are better than you already have,and can make a difference,otherwise you may as well just promote fom within and blood the kids.

other teams manage to bring in loan players who do a very good job,and add something the there play,we just seem to bring in unfit players who,arent really better than what we have...one of the exceptions being jones,as we havent had a left footed left sided player for a while.

OK, courtesy of soccerbase, here we go. These are John Sheridan's signings since he took over in June 2006, 47 in all (22 transfers, 25 loans):

Transfers:

Les Pogliacomi

Gary McDonald

Craig Rocastle

Moussa Dabo

Simon Charlton

Sean Gregan

Alan Blayney

Mark Crossley

John Thompson

Craig Davies

JP Kalala

Mark Allott

Lee Hughes

Michael Ricketts

Reuben Hazell

Greg Fleming

Kieran Lee

Chris O'Grady

Dale Stephens

Danny Whitaker

Kevin Maher

Richie Byrne

Loans:

Chris Howarth

Maheta Molango

Lewis Grabban

David Knight

Adam Legzdins

Tomasz Cywka

Ben Turner

Leon Clarke

Miki Roque

Luigi Glombard

Hasney Aljofree

Neil Kilkenny

Stuart Giddings

Ryan Bertrand

Marlon Beresford

Jason Jarrett

David Livermore

Jordon Robertson

Leon Constantine

Richard O'Donnell

Daniel Jones

Brett Ormerod

Darren Byfield

Dean Windass

Scott Golbourne

I reckon over half of those were good signings, and Sheridan's hit rate has improved over time - particularly in the loan market.

Sorry, but when you begin to look at the facts this myth that Sheridan has been poor in his transfer dealings is nonsense.

OK, courtesy of soccerbase, here we go. These are John Sheridan's signings since he took over in June 2006, 47 in all (22 transfers, 25 loans):

Transfers:

Les Pogliacomi

Simon Charlton

Alan Blayney

Mark Crossley

Greg Fleming

Richie Byrne

Loans:

Chris Howarth

David Knight

Adam Legzdins

Hasney Aljofree

Stuart Giddings

Ryan Bertrand

Marlon Beresford

Richard O'Donnell

Daniel Jones

Scott Golbourne

Guess which two positions we have always needed sorting :)

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

rating them on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being terrible sheridan out signings

Les Pogliacomi- 2

Gary McDonald- 2

Craig Rocastle- 3- but 1 for swanseas away

Moussa Dabo-6

Simon Charlton-2

Sean Gregan-1

Alan Blayney-5

Mark Crossley-2

John Thompson-5

Craig Davies-1 get mental back

JP Kalala-3

Mark Allott-1

Lee Hughes-1

Michael Ricketts-5

Reuben Hazell-1

Greg Fleming=1

Kieran Lee-4

Chris O'Grady-4

Dale Stephens- never given a chance

Danny Whitaker-3

Kevin Maher-5 mr sideways

Richie Byrne-4

Loans:

Chris Howarth -5

Maheta Molango-5

Lewis Grabban-4

David Knight-5

Adam Legzdins-5

Tomasz Cywka-3

Ben Turner-5

Leon Clarke-2

Miki Roque-4

Luigi Glombard-5

Hasney Aljofree-3

Neil Kilkenny-1

Stuart Giddings-2

Ryan Bertrand-1

Marlon Beresford-2

Jason Jarrett-3

David Livermore-3

Jordon Robertson-3

Leon Constantine-3

Richard O'Donnell-5

Daniel Jones-2

Brett Ormerod-4

Darren Byfield-3

Dean Windass-3

Scott Golbourne-4

and i am being fair lol

I also pretty much agree with your ratings. So why do we argue so much about Sheriden? Looking at your list, one could argue that he can spot a talent. Is the problem that once in his squad he doesn't know what to do with them with regard to his much-vaunted 4-4-2 system or does he possibly not have motivational skills?

From my lofty viewpoint in RRE, it would appear that we do have a motivation problem. We started out with high expectations because of the squad that was assembled and slowly our expectation level has had it's foundations undermined not because of where we are in the league but of where we should be and the style/quality of football we are playing. Sheriden has stuck with a core of players and given some of the fringe players a half chance, dropped them after one and a half games and then marginalised them. Lee and O'Grady being examples, both had a good half game followed by an average game followed by omission from the starting line up while more senior players can have a series of average games and will still be picked week in/week out.