Yeovil Away Trip - Directions, Beer & Food

Going to Yeovil? Here's all you need to know.

The Stadium

Huish Park, Lufton Way, Yeovil, BA22 8YF is situated on the outskirts of the town, sandwiched between a commercial/industrial estate and residential areas. The stadium is signposted from most major roads in Yeovil itself.

Visiting supporters are accommodated on the 1,500 capacity uncovered away terrace behind the goal with a small number of seats(approx 80) available for away supporters in the Yeovil College (Main) Stand. Disabled and infirm away supporters should contact the Huish Park Ticket Office in cases where seating has not been specifically allocated through the visiting club, to see if special dispensation is possible.

How to get there:

By Rail:

Yeovil has two stations, Yeovil Junction (situated 2-3 miles outside of the town) and Pen Mill Junction (about a mile outside the town centre). Both are on the opposite side of town to the Football Club. From Yeovil Junction there is usually a 'Hopper' Bus that leaves a couple of minutes after every train arrives and will take you to Yeovil Bus Station in the town centre. This still leaves you a couple of miles from the stadium, but gives you the possibility of getting a taxi or a bus from the town centre. The other alternative of course is to take a taxi directly from the station to the stadium.

By Bus:

The regular No.1 (Abbey Manor) bus leaves from the stop outside the Lloyds TSB Bank in the town centre every 15 minutes to travel to the Abbey Manor housing estate adjacent to the stadium. The last bus back into town on a Saturday leaves from Abbey Manor at 18:52.

By Road:

From all directions: The A303 is the only sensible way to approach Yeovil, whether your coming from The North, the South-East, Wales or the South-West. The A303 does not actually enter Yeovil, it passes some miles North of the town. You have several choices where to get off the road, but the Police promote one exit in particular, the A3088 route bringing you to Yeovil from the West(see below for further directions and pubs en route).

From the West: Exit at the A3088 (signposted to Yeovil, Dorchester and Weymouth) Cartgate roundabout. Follow the road approximately 8-9 miles until you reach a roundabout on the outskirts of Yeovil with the Westlands Airfield directly in front of you. Take the first exit left here, pass straight on over another roundabout and the Crematorium on your left before you reach yet another roundabout. Take the first exit left here and follow the road around until you reach the stadium on your right.

Recommended pubs en route from the West:

Slightly problematic inasmuch that you have to make a slight detour off the A3088 into Yeovil. Turn right at the sign to Montacute and Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, go up a slight hill to a T-Junction. Go right towards Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, or left towards Montacute. If you take the Stoke route you travel around 2-3 miles before you get to the village. Drive through the narrow main street and you see the Half Moon Inn; Ham Hill, Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, Somerset, TA14 6RL Tel: 01935 824890 on your left.

Just beyond the Half Moon is the Fleur-De-Lis; West St, Stoke-Sub-Hamdon, Somerset, TA14 6PUTel: 01935 822510, which is slightly more upmarket, but they are both well worth a visit.

If you go the Montacute way you drive into the village with the Kings Arms on your right and the Phelips Arms; The Borough, Montacute, Somerset. Tel: 01935 822557 about 200 yards further on, on your left. Both pubs do good food and beer. The Phelips has flat access for wheelchairs but the Kings is accessible only via steps.

From The East: Exit the A303 at the A37 turnoff (signposted to Ilchester). On reaching a roundabout, take the second exit following the signs to Yeovil. Follow the road for 4-5 miles until you reach another roundabout and turn right (the 3rd exit). This takes you to a staggered double mini-roundabout. Take the second exit here (straight on in effect) and follow the road with houses on your left and fields on your right to another mini-roundabout. Straight on here and past a turning on your left which leads into a residential area. Keep going straight on until you get to the next left exit. Drive up the hill and take the first turning right. The stadium is now visible on your left.

Recommended pubs en route from the East:

Halfway between Ilchester and Yeovil on your left is the appropriately-named Halfway House, Ilchester Rd, Chilthorne Domer, Yeovil, Somerset BA22 8RE Tel: 01935 840350, which home fans say is a top-notch pub with good food, a pool table and a cracking juke-box. There are a couple of steps to get in which makes it awkward for wheelchair-users, but it is worth the effort. NOTE: They did free sausage and chips for a coachload of Cardiff fans that stopped there a few seasons ago, so ask - you never know your luck!

From the South: Enter Yeovil on the A37. Keep on this road until you reach a roundabout with a pub (the Quicksilver Mail) directly in front of you. Turn left here and travel along West Coker Road, until you reach a roundabout and turn right (the second exit). Go down a hill to another roundabout and take a left (first exit). Travel along this road until you reach a roundabout. Straight across here and onwards to another roundabout which you also drive through with the Crematorium on your left. You reach yet another roundabout. Take the first exit left here and follow the road around past until you reach Huish Park on your right.

Recommended pubs en route from the South:

The Red House; Dorchester Rd, Yeovil, Somerset, BA22 9RA Tel: 01935 477744 on the outskirts of Yeovil has gone more upmarket, focusing on food. It is wheelchair-friendly.

The aforementioned Quicksilver Mail; 168, Hendford Hill, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 2RG Tel: 01935 424721 appears in good pub guides, particularly real ale ones. It is also one of the reducing number of outlets in the town that does proper farmhouse style cider. Not quite as wheelchair-friendly as the Red House.

The Yeovil Court Hotel; West Coker Rd, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 2HE Tel: 01935 863746 is altogether more upmarket, and more of a restaurant than a pub, but is very wheelchair-friendly.

Where to park:

There is an official car park. However getting away from the ground is a bit of nightmare as there is only one road out of that car park. It has been known to take 35 minutes to travel the half mile to the Preston Road roundabout'

Experience shows that it is better to search for street parking, or a pub car park about a 15 minute walk from the stadium, which will ensure a quicker getaway.

Other Pubs/Food Outlets - There are three pubs within 15-20 minutes walking distance of the stadium. All are wheelchair friendly and The Bell has a disabled toilet.

The Airfield Tavern, Alvington Lane, Yeovil BA22 8UX is a Table Table Family Restaurant, situated just off the Crematorium roundabout on Bunford Lane,

The Bell 207, Preston Rd, Yeovil, Somerset BA20 2EW Tel : 01935 474077 is child-friendly, and features large meals, a giant screen for televised matches, a pool table and some basic real ale.

The Arrow, The Forum, Preston, Yeovil, Somerset BA21 3TL Tel : 01935 476972 is a modern pub situated on the Abbey Manor housing estate next to the stadium and popular with home fans.

If you're looking for something to eat but do not want to use a pub, Palmer’s Fish & Chip Restaurant/Takeaway can be found on the other side of Bunford Lane from the Airfield Tavern pub, just off the Crematorium roundabout; and the Preston Road Takeaway is situated down from The Bell on the opposite side of Preston Road.

Map of the area:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=35270...searchp=ids.srf

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

As I was going back to Bristol after the game last year I drove past the ground (using the directions from the west as above) and found a nice back lane called Thorne Lane where a lot of the locals appeared to be parking, and there was an easy cut through to the industrial park which holds the ground. I could see why as when I got back into my car I got out into a stream of traffic quite nicely (as they had partially blocked the round) and was well on my way to the A37 quite quickly. The only problem was my appalling sense of direction meant I spent 15 minutes trying to remember where I had parked.

I've included a multimap link which I hope will work and looking at it I turned left off Western avenue onto Thorne Lane (after the game this was the corner which was partially blocked). Looking at it if you follow the directions as coming from the East (which might not be the worse option since the western approach was very congested and wasn't great to get stuck behind a tractor on) to get to where I parked instead of taking the final left (after the residential area) go straight on.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Yeovil&am...08YF|BA22%208YF

For those who haven't been before, I'd add that the terracing is uncovered and I'd suggest the Bell as a decent pub especially if you want some grub. it's got a nice big car park too which you can leave your car on during the game.

if looking to stay overnight try the halfmoon inn at mudford great food&drink comfortable and reasonable prices. as you come out of the car park onto main road turn left & follow road for three miles its on the right next to mottorbike showroom.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know of ticket prices and coach prices, time it leaves etc? Would have expected something on the official site by now but can't see anything? Cheers

coach costs £25 and tickets £15*. Coach leaves at 8:30

add £2 if you pay on the day.