Millwall Away - Directions, Beer & Food

The New Den, Zampa Road, London, SE16 3LN

A trip to Millwall is not as threatening as it once was. However, it is hardly a relaxing day out, with a large police presence at the match. You are advised to exercise caution around the stadium and not to wear club colours, unless travelling direct by coach.

Visiting supporters are located at one end of the stadium in the North Stand (usually in the upper tier only). Around 4,000 away fans can be accommodated in this end. The Police are well drilled in dealing with the coaches and once inside the ground you will generally find the stewards helpful and friendly.

The stadium has disabled access on level ground with lifts to viewing areas.

Drinking in pubs around the stadium should be avoided. Inside the stadium there are bars at the back of the stands that serve alcohol as well as some decent food such as chicken and chips in the ground.

Transport for London

For travel news, details of how to get around and tickets, click on link:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

By Tube

As the East London Line is closed long term, as part of a major development ahead of the 2012 Olympics,the nearest tube station is Canada Water (on the Jubilee line and about 20 minutes walk from the stadium) in Zone 2.

By Train

It is probably best to go by rail from London Bridge to South Bermondsey Railway Station. The Jubilee and Northern tube lines link to London Bridge rail station.

The stadium is less than five minutes from the station. As you exit the station, visiting supporters are directed to the left down a specially constructed walkway, surrounded by very tall metal railings, leading all the way to the stadium, This makes it impossible to get lost or stray into potentially dangerous situations with the locals. Similarly, after the game, a swift exit and then stride out going up the walkway, and you can be on the platform before the home supporters have arrived via their much longer route.

By Bus

The Nos. 21, 53 and 172 trawl Old Kent Road and the P13 goes up Ilderton Road.

You can take the P12 Bus from Canada Water Tube station (Jubilee Line). This goes along Ilderton Road and the stop where you alight is only a few yards from the stadium. The service is fairly infrequent though, about every 20 minutes or so.

By Car

There are number of ways of getting to the ground, but the most straightforward, if not the shortest in distance is to follow the A2 into London from Junction 2 of the M25. The A2 actually passes the ground.

Once you go past New Cross Gate tube station on your right the ground is about a mile further on. The only awkward bit is about half-way in-between New Cross Gate and the ground where the road splits into two. Keep to the right following the signs A2 City/Westminster. You will come to the ground on your right.

Parking:

On-street anywhere in inner London is problematic, with permit schemes all over the place. Take care because parking restrictions in London are enforced with zeal. Street parking may be found on the small estate on your left just past the stadium.

Map of the area

Click on link:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=53541...searchp=ids.srf

Eating and drinking

Drinking around the stadium is not recommended, but there are plenty of pubs and eating places around London Bridge before moving on to South Bermondsey.. The area of Southwark around London Bridge is known as The Borough, and for details of bars, pubs, eating places, shopping and what’s on, click on the link:

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/regions/southwark/

Eating and drinking in the area is thoroughly discouraged.

London Bridge has stacks of decent boozers, though. Market Porter for real ale fans (bear in mind it'll be full of foodies buying frisée lettuce and four different types of radiccio as well 'cos Borough Market's on), Old King's Head, The Globe or Southwark Tavern for more standard fare. There's a few others a bit further afield that I'm gonna keep to myself if you don't mind. Don't want you 'erberts ruining it for me! :grin:

Eating and drinking in the area is thoroughly discouraged.

London Bridge has stacks of decent boozers, though. Market Porter for real ale fans (bear in mind it'll be full of foodies buying frisée lettuce and four different types of radiccio as well 'cos Borough Market's on), Old King's Head, The Globe or Southwark Tavern for more standard fare. There's a few others a bit further afield that I'm gonna keep to myself if you don't mind. Don't want you 'erberts ruining it for me! :grin:

Been in the George before, because it's historical and has a nice cobbled courtyard, but quite frankly you can have a quick look at it and then go and enjoy a drink somewhere else.

Been in the George before, because it's historical and has a nice cobbled courtyard, but quite frankly you can have a quick look at it and then go and enjoy a drink somewhere else.

Yeah, the George is strictly for the tourists and priced accordingly.

Just remembered the Southwark Tavern is closed at the weekend. Or at least it was when I last tried.

Id suggest getting the train in for about 10 mins before the game from wherever you are and getting the train right back out again under strong police guard.

It’s the only way at that hell hole. Stick to central or Dulwich area pubs.

You could tell them you live in Gillingham, worked for me! :comeon:

Id suggest getting the train in for about 10 mins before the game from wherever you are and getting the train right back out again under strong police guard.

It’s the only way at that hell hole. Stick to central or Dulwich area pubs.

Once we were trying to blend into the crowd on a platform at South Bermondsey station, which was full of Millwall fans and a few Latics fans after a match. There was a drunken Latics fan staggering about and shouting "Come on Oldham!". Surprisingly he escaped unharmed.

On another occasion we were in a train packed with Millwall fans, who were singing anti-Jewish songs about Spurs.

It's only a short distance back to London Bridge, so the agony doesn't last very long.

It's only a short distance back to London Bridge, so the agony doesn't last very long.

And it's amazing how quickly your average Millwall meathead turns into a mild-mannered citizen once they get back to (heavily policed) London Bridge station. It's like they go through some weird transitional force field as the train rumbles through Bermondsey.

Once we were trying to blend into the crowd on a platform at South Bermondsey station, which was full of Millwall fans and a few Latics fans after a match. There was a drunken Latics fan staggering about and shouting "Come on Oldham!". Surprisingly he escaped unharmed.

On another occasion we were in a train packed with Millwall fans, who were singing anti-Jewish songs about Spurs.

I couldn’t help grinning like a cheshire cat last season on that train. My bro kept shouting "Hughsey" and he isnt even a 'tics fan :grin:

I like hearing Macca's tale from Millwall.

"where'ye from"

"errr, err......gillingham"

LOL. Oh dear.

I went for the 1-0 game. There was no Millwall in on the tube to the ground. Afterwards it was all Millwall and the sight at London Bridge when the carriages emptied to a sound of Millwall chants from 500 or so was pretty impressive to say the least.

Drinking around L.B was decent. Fair few 'tics in the pub we ended up in and loads of shops which sell cheap crap german lager for the tube to the ground.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I like hearing Macca's tale from Millwall.

"where'ye from"

"errr, err......gillingham"

LOL. Oh dear.

I went for the 1-0 game. There was no Millwall in on the tube to the ground. Afterwards it was all Millwall and the sight at London Bridge when the carriages emptied to a sound of Millwall chants from 500 or so was pretty impressive to say the least.

Drinking around L.B was decent. Fair few 'tics in the pub we ended up in and loads of shops which sell cheap crap german lager for the tube to the ground.

No drinking on the tube any more, thanks to Boris, or you could end up with a fine from the over eager transport police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

No drinking on the tube any more, thanks to Boris, or you could end up with a fine from the over eager transport police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Rocky meant the train, not the Tube. I don't think he's ever seen either before coming from Turf Hill :wink:

Oddly enough I was talking about that 1-0 game with a guy in work the other week. He had got tickets for himself, his nephew and his nephew's mate off Craig Rocastle, who knew his cousin - so naturally they were in the Oldham end. He said they got a few funny looks, three black lads with London accents. Reckons some people thought they were a very unusual set of Millwall infiltrators :grin: Apparently the Millwall lot were singing, "shall we rap a song for you," at them, which whilst it may be a bit wrong, is nevertheless rather funny.