Slight Criticism

If we don't get a 'keeper in tomorrow, Josh Bell has to play. It is inconceivable that Windass would be in net because it would be calamitous for Sheridan if we get hammered and it would surely put Bell's career off track following such a kick in the teeth.

My little nit-pick is, I wish Sheridan had not publicly stated that he didn't think Bell was ready. There is no reason why he couldn't tell the lad in private and he probably has explained it to him. But, if he has to play tomorrow, he plays knowing that Sheridan thinks he's incapable and the fans know that Sheridan feels this way. Not good, confidence-wise.

Hopefully, he would step up to the mark and do himself proud and Sheridan makes sure the defence play out of their skins to protect him. No stupid back-passes and plenty of communication. Meanwhile, the rest of the team defends from the front by laying siege to the Cobblers' goal.

:)

If we don't get a 'keeper in tomorrow, Josh Bell has to play. It is inconceivable that Windass would be in net because it would be calamitous for Sheridan if we get hammered and it would surely put Bell's career off track following such a kick in the teeth.

My little nit-pick is, I wish Sheridan had not publicly stated that he didn't think Bell was ready. There is no reason why he couldn't tell the lad in private and he probably has explained it to him. But, if he has to play tomorrow, he plays knowing that Sheridan thinks he's incapable and the fans know that Sheridan feels this way. Not good, confidence-wise.

Hopefully, he would step up to the mark and do himself proud and Sheridan makes sure the defence play out of their skins to protect him. No stupid back-passes and plenty of communication. Meanwhile, the rest of the team defends from the front by laying siege to the Cobblers' goal.

fair point with your nit-pick,if the lad does play he has the added pressure of knowing shez doesn,t think he should be

Or Shez could have said to young Josh on Monday morning "Go on then kid, prove me wrong. Show me this week in training that I don't know what I am talking about and put in the best weeks training you have ever done. Make me change my mind. Make me say to the press at 5:50 on Saturday that Josh has come in and proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier for the lad."

Perhaps Shez thinks Bell hasn't been pushing himself enough to become a proper professional footballer, been coasting for a bit rather than grabbing the opportunity with both hands and making it impossible for Shez to ignore his claims for a spot.

Or Shez could have said to young Josh on Monday morning "Go on then kid, prove me wrong. Show me this week in training that I don't know what I am talking about and put in the best weeks training you have ever done. Make me change my mind. Make me say to the press at 5:50 on Saturday that Josh has come in and proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier for the lad."

Perhaps Shez thinks Bell hasn't been pushing himself enough to become a proper professional footballer, been coasting for a bit rather than grabbing the opportunity with both hands and making it impossible for Shez to ignore his claims for a spot.

So why give him a pro contract then? or is Bell his love child?

Edited by Lags

a proper professional footballer

So why give him a pro contract then? or is Bell his love child?

There is a difference between taking a wage and going through the motions - (Chris Hall - christ, I liked him too, I know nowt) and actually being a professional footballer, being able to do the job when it comes to it. Not just listening to Luther Vandross and driving a souped up Clio.

I would've thought Shez gave him a contract as he thought he might make it, to give the kid a chance. He got rid of the other young keepers we had (I think they were both called Smith) so I don't think he did it out of charity to Bell.

Spot on.

The art of good management (at this level) is very often getting players to believe that they are better than they really are. Sheridan rarely achieves this. It is a fine line because you can't go too far. But Sheridan too often goes the other way and puts players down.

The one exception to this was when he tried to suggest Kelvin Lomax was the best player on the park for a game when he was at best mediocre.

There is a balance and Shezza doesn't find it. Jim Gannon, for example, often does (although he also has his 'Craig Davies' moments too).

As an 11 year old I made my debut for the school team. I loved football, but had no talent, they had no goalie so shoved me in nets. Big scary nets that I'd never played in before. First few minutes the ball flew at me from a header and I tipped it over the bar. All reflex stuff, but from that moment on I knew I was a good goalie!

If he does play, I'm sure he'll be fine, subject to the points you make above.

Edited by opinions4u

This ain't nit picking it's sound advice :grin:

It's a fair nit-pick. Although there's every chance Shez's true motives in talking Bell down publicly are to ensure that if he plays he does so without the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Any professional player, however young, knows it's what the manager says to him personally that really matters, not what he says about him in the media.

It's a fair nit-pick. Although there's every chance Shez's true motives in talking Bell down publicly are to ensure that if he plays he does so without the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Any professional player, however young, knows it's what the manager says to him personally that really matters, not what he says about him in the media.

Id go with this if he bigged him up in the media and he cant handle the pressure the lad would be crucified by our home crowd and that would be the end of the lads professional career full stop. Talking him down will hopefully take the pressure off and he will hopefully go out there and show us what he can do. Good luck to the lad anyways.

For those wondering why he has got a pro contract, probably just in case this situation came about and it has. Last resort cover for a very cheap wage.I think if we are all honest, we know he is unlikely to make it pro like shez. Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.