TV21

Forte_Baby

I've been in a few times. It's not just a bar - there's a bit of a dancefloor downstairs. In my experience Friday has always been indie night and fairly popular. Saturdays never seem as busy though for some reason.

My mates band played there a while back. Just seemed like a posher version of Fab Cafe.

I've been in a few times. It's not just a bar - there's a bit of a dancefloor downstairs. In my experience Friday has always been indie night and fairly popular. Saturdays never seem as busy though for some reason.

Yeah Jamie mentioned he had been to it wanted to also hear other peoples opinons.

Yeah Jamie mentioned he had been to it wanted to also hear other peoples opinons.

Jamie may well have been there at the same time as me.

The music's always been pretty decent whenever I've gone, and it does seem to attract the slightly classier crowd than most other places. Though you do get the odd idiot in there, such as one chap last time who decided to use my housemate's coat to mop up his spilt beer.

It's pretty naff IMHO. The Northern Quarter is great for a booze, and there are so many better bars than TV21. That Bluu bar is bloody tragic, full of 'Gary Lager' types now. Head towards the Tib Street end for the better bars.

There's also a Pink cafe (I know, I know but reign your homophobic urges in just now) on Tib Street. If you're ever down in an afternoon (Think it shuts around teatime) give it a try for food. They do brilliant soups and sandwiches and it's reasonably inexpensive. It's just a few doors down from Bar Centro and Oi Polloi menswear (THE best clothes shop in Manchester, bar none).

The whole Northern Quarter is a monsterous carbunkle on the face of a city that used to have some good pubs in but is now just full of awful "bars". When I first moved back ooop North about 5 years ago I couldn't believe there wasn't anywhere decent for normal people to have a drink in Manchester, the worst offender being the Northern Quarter with its "cool" bars that make the 90s mock Oirish pubs seem authentic. Sticking some distressed furniture and feature wallpaper on one wall and selling obscure bottled lager does not make for a good drinking hole. All that does is attract young men in too tight jeans, girls with their fringe cut so that their eyes are covered and can't see anything and Sharon and Darren.

After spending most of last week in Brighton and visiting several of my old haunts and some new ones I can feel my disgust at the pathetic attempts to engineer "cool". The owner of TV21 used to go out with a girl I know (they had an interesting relationship that too many people know too much about!) I've set foot in there about three times and each time I've been more amazed at how awful it is. I'd rather drink at home and pay a bunch of braying arseholes to come round and get in my way on the way to the fridge than go out in Manchester these days.

The whole Northern Quarter is a monsterous carbunkle on the face of a city that used to have some good pubs in but is now just full of awful "bars". When I first moved back ooop North about 5 years ago I couldn't believe there wasn't anywhere decent for normal people to have a drink in Manchester, the worst offender being the Northern Quarter with its "cool" bars that make the 90s mock Oirish pubs seem authentic. Sticking some distressed furniture and feature wallpaper on one wall and selling obscure bottled lager does not make for a good drinking hole. All that does is attract young men in too tight jeans, girls with their fringe cut so that their eyes are covered and can't see anything and Sharon and Darren.

After spending most of last week in Brighton and visiting several of my old haunts and some new ones I can feel my disgust at the pathetic attempts to engineer "cool". The owner of TV21 used to go out with a girl I know (they had an interesting relationship that too many people know too much about!) I've set foot in there about three times and each time I've been more amazed at how awful it is. I'd rather drink at home and pay a bunch of braying arseholes to come round and get in my way on the way to the fridge than go out in Manchester these days.

I think it’s called getting old.

I used to like the northern quarter but I find many of the pubs are just too busy considering the size of the buildings (at the weekend anyway). TV21 is ok, the musics alright but it’s a bit hit and miss. Better than the printworks at least. Blue is crap and reminds me of the type of busy wannabe high class bars you get in provincial town. Fringe is pretty good though.