Allott, Hazell and Eardley

For me, as someone who has attended matches rather infrequently this season due to my geographical situation, these players were well below the quality of Leeds tonight. Eardley kept coceeding possession, as did Allott, who was good at breaking up Leeds possession but didn't have a clue when he had it and Hazell just could'nt deal with Becchio. Other than this we matched them. Smalley makes up for Taylor who has been found out imo.

For me, as someone who has attended matches rather infrequently this season due to my geographical situation, these players were well below the quality of Leeds tonight. Eardley kept coceeding possession, as did Allott, who was good at breaking up Leeds possession but didn't have a clue when he had it and Hazell just could'nt deal with Becchio. Other than this we matched them. Smalley makes up for Taylor who has been found out imo.

Would this be Eardley who comfortably dealt with their attacking threat on the right?

Allott's job is to break up the play and give it a blue (pink, yellow) shirt, the play was condensed in midfield last night and not many central players from either team were able to play to the best of their abilities.

As for "found out" what the hell does that actually mean? Opposition teams paying very close attention to? I would love a team of found out 10 goal Chris Taylors who are marked out of the game and create space for the player on the opposite side of the pitch?

This is almost as bad as the Leeds numpty who was behind me in the Chaddy, after Jones's good spell in the first half got it in his head that "He's a right defender that Jones" and would repeat it every time the ball went near either Taylor or Jones.

Every time Taylor had the ball, three players marked him, which in theory, should leave bags of room in the centre. When was the last time a latics player was man marked by three players?

thought this was gonna be a "played well tonight" thread.

thought Eardley had is best game for a while, Hazell did OK against who some would say (though not me) was one of the best strikers in this league and Allott put in his usual solid shift.

opinions eh :lol:

Edited by dfOAFC

Every time Taylor had the ball, three players marked him, which in theory, should leave bags of room in the centre. When was the last time a latics player was man marked by three players?

The problem here is when Taylor releases the ball to unmarked midfielders they are far to slow too move the ball on.

What the midfielders should be doing instead of shuffling sideways and backwards is to quickly pick out Smalley on the opposite flank who was in oceans of space.

There were many opportunities to do that last night, but it rarely happened.

The problem here is when Taylor releases the ball to unmarked midfielders they are far to slow too move the ball on.

What the midfielders should be doing instead of shuffling sideways and backwards is to quickly pick out Smalley on the opposite flank who was in oceans of space.

There were many opportunities to do that last night, but it rarely happened.

Nail & Head that man!!!

Tayls wasn't at his best last night; not by a long shot - but he's viewed (rightly so) by the Oppo in 99% of our games as our biggest threat; so they double up; and in some cases triple up on him. I can't believe that when this happens we don't manage to successfully use the space created.

A quick switch across to the other flank is usually the ball on; but it takes 3 passes to get there as it usually goes from CM to CB to RB to Smalley instead of 1 quick ball out.

It is nice though to have a threat from both flanks now though; as Smalley has hit form & shows flashes of class when he runs with the ball. I tend to think his "football brain" lets him down though - when he doesn't have time to think about it & has to react instictively he is far better than when he has chance to think & decide what to do; usually making the wrong decision. Hopefully, with the right coaching this will come in the lad; he has the potential.

Nail & Head that man!!!

Tayls wasn't at his best last night; not by a long shot - but he's viewed (rightly so) by the Oppo in 99% of our games as our biggest threat; so they double up; and in some cases triple up on him. I can't believe that when this happens we don't manage to successfully use the space created.

A quick switch across to the other flank is usually the ball on; but it takes 3 passes to get there as it usually goes from CM to CB to RB to Smalley instead of 1 quick ball out.

It is nice though to have a threat from both flanks now though; as Smalley has hit form & shows flashes of class when he runs with the ball. I tend to think his "football brain" lets him down though - when he doesn't have time to think about it & has to react instictively he is far better than when he has chance to think & decide what to do; usually making the wrong decision. Hopefully, with the right coaching this will come in the lad; he has the potential.

Correct, and we would sort out the diabolical thow ins wouldn't we, they are farcical week in week out with complete lack of movement ?

.... the Leeds numpty who was behind me in the Chaddy, after Jones's good spell in the first half got it in his head that "He's a right defender that Jones" and would repeat it every time the ball went near either Taylor or Jones.

Did he also confuse the pair of them with Chaddy the Owl?