Is It The Fan's Fault?

I know I will probably get blasted for this, but does anyone think that the team failing to perform at home is the so called fan's fault? Think about it.

Away they have a great, vocal, positive body of true support, which helps them to lift their game. As a result they play better away and mostly get results.

At home, unless we are playing a big team, the place sounds like a graveyard and the only sound is coming from the negative element in the crowd and the away fans!

How do we expect them to perform if we are not helping to motivate them? The fans need to get behind them and turn up, home and away, regardless of if they are playing Leeds or Cheltenham.

Some people are blaming Shez for not motivating the players, but I don't buy that. How come he can motivate them when they play away but not at home? How come he can motivate them when we play bigger teams at home?

The difference is away the "boo boys" stay away so don't have the negative impact they do at home and when we play the likes of Leeds at home, the part time fans turn up, creating a better atmosphere.

Our attendances are a joke. I know it is expensive, but other clubs charging the same are getting better and bigger support. If the fans are going to continue to stay away or attend home games just to moan and destroy any confidence the players have left, then the town does not deserve a championship team.

So, prove me wrong, Oldham, get behind the lads for the last few games, make some noise, create a better atmosphere and I am sure it will make a huge difference out there on the pitch. They can and will do it, but it's all up to us, the fans!

I'm in Australia, so I can't help out but when I was still in the U.K. I never yelled abuse at my own team, because it achieves nothing. :(:(

Rant over, I am now going to find my tin hat and get ready for the fall out!

There was nothing wrong with the support on Saturday......until the team played like strangers. I don't leave games early and at half time I was pondering going home or to the pub. I stayed for the second half and I'm not sure why, but I'll be there for the next game. To be fair, there are quite a few in the RRE who do try to get behind the team, but it gets hard when the majority of players don't appear to be bothered.

I know I will probably get blasted for this, but does anyone think that the team failing to perform at home is the so called fan's fault? Think about it.

........think........... OK - thought about it. (Have been all season actually) and....

NO. Not the fans fault.

You need mental strength to be a footballer.

If you can't raise your game enough to cope, you're not good enough.

I don't like personal abuse of players, but ultimately they are paid to do their job well and if they are unable to then they shouldn't be doing it.

Give us something to cheer team.

After we went a goal behind on Saturday the crowd roared the team on in an attempt to inspire them. Unfortunately after a good 5 minutes of support the noise ceased as one by one the crowd were stunned into silence by mistake after mistake, and a total lack of unity from the team.

Confidence appeared low despite vocal support - only a manager can pick them up from there.

You need mental strength to be a footballer.

If you can't raise your game enough to cope, you're not good enough.

I don't like personal abuse of players, but ultimately they are paid to do their job well and if they are unable to then they shouldn't be doing it.

Give us something to cheer team.

Fair enough, they need mental strength, but they are also human. Nobody does their job well, whether they are a footballer, brain surgeon or solicitor, if all they can ever hear in their workplace is abuse. The fans need to focus on the positives more and get behind the team. If they don't, and I know it's hard at the moment, we can kiss goodbye to the play offs.

After we went a goal behind on Saturday the crowd roared the team on in an attempt to inspire them. Unfortunately after a good 5 minutes of support the noise ceased as one by one the crowd were stunned into silence by mistake after mistake, and a total lack of unity from the team.

Confidence appeared low despite vocal support - only a manager can pick them up from there.

The manager can only do so much to inspire the players in the short time he has at half time. After that, it's over to the fans for the next 45 minutes. Their job is as important as the manager's, if not more so, once the players are on the pitch.

The manager can only do so much to inspire the players in the short time he has at half time. After that, it's over to the fans for the next 45 minutes. Their job is as important as the manager's, if not more so, once the players are on the pitch.

isn't the fans/team a 2 way thing though?

we give encouragement,they respond / they play great football ,we respond?

there was plenty of backing on saturday-the team failed to respond..in fact it was a miserable effort.

whats the fans supposed to do when the team you follow just fail to respond..forever try to encourage?

no..it grinds the fans down in the end and fustration takes over.

the manager is there during the game to see what can be changed to improve any situation..and he does have an influence if he wants to be.

unfortunately we ain't seeing much evidence of any plans b or c ..just the usual predicability and unwillingness to swap things around.

With all respect Lonely, from your position in Melbourne you will be unaware of Mr Sheridan's habit of standing arms folded in the technical area offering no encouragement whatsoever to the team. I defy anyone who like me sits near the dugout to prove any different.

The manager has the best opportunity to gee the team up - and after Saturday's goal his head was down and he was speechless at a time where it was crucial and vital to inspire his team.

Fans fault? Nope. The fans arent the one's kicking a bag of wind about on the pitch at Boundary Park. Vocally supporting the team for 90 minutes isnt necessarily going to mean results and better performances.

The impact fans actually have on a game is minimal at best. Home or away. So to lie the blame with the fans is absolutely ludicrous.

As for away from home we have been great vocally. Erm, no. Northampton was one of the worst away atmosphere's in years yet we still got a win. Southend was the same.

Players have got abuse since they were kid's trying to learn the trade. Anyone who had trials with a club will know that abuse came from anywhere and everywhere. I guarentee there's a number on here who'll have had trials and been told they were too small. I was one, when I was 11. Keith Hicks at 'dale and i've never actually forgetten it and the ten minute chat where I was absolutely heartbroken after a game against Tranmere Rovers which we'd got spanked in. Professional footballers will have all suffered some form of similar abuse in their younger years as YTS players - that will apply to absolutely everyone of the current squad. The difference being, they got into the first team squads and made the step up because they could overcome it and prove people wrong. Which is why a bit of abuse from fans - which happens at every club - should be water off a ducks back for them.

With all respect Lonely, from your position in Melbourne you will be unaware of Mr Sheridan's habit of standing arms folded in the technical area offering no encouragement whatsoever to the team. I defy anyone who like me sits near the dugout to prove any different.

The manager has the best opportunity to gee the team up - and after Saturday's goal his head was down and he was speechless at a time where it was crucial and vital to inspire his team.

This is obviously not what I want to hear from Melbourne. If the manager is behaving in this manner, it needs to stop. I still believe the fans can do a lot more. If the team is not responding when encouraged by fans, as I am told happened on Saturday, I don't think the encouragement turning to abuse can possibly help.

Fans fault? Nope. The fans arent the one's kicking a bag of wind about on the pitch at Boundary Park. Vocally supporting the team for 90 minutes isnt necessarily going to mean results and better performances.

The impact fans actually have on a game is minimal at best. Home or away. So to lie the blame with the fans is absolutely ludicrous.

As for away from home we have been great vocally. Erm, no. Northampton was one of the worst away atmosphere's in years yet we still got a win. Southend was the same.

Players have got abuse since they were kid's trying to learn the trade. Anyone who had trials with a club will know that abuse came from anywhere and everywhere. I guarentee there's a number on here who'll have had trials and been told they were too small. I was one, when I was 11. Keith Hicks at 'dale and i've never actually forgetten it and the ten minute chat where I was absolutely heartbroken after a game against Tranmere Rovers which we'd got spanked in. Professional footballers will have all suffered some form of similar abuse in their younger years as YTS players - that will apply to absolutely everyone of the current squad. The difference being, they got into the first team squads and made the step up because they could overcome it and prove people wrong. Which is why a bit of abuse from fans - which happens at every club - should be water off a ducks back for them.

Sorry I have to disagree. The impact fans can have on a game is massive. And the fact players have been verbally abused since they were kids learning the game does not mean it is ok or that it makes them better players. Abusing players can only have a negative impact on them.

Can't comment on Northampton or Southend, cos I wasn't there, but I bet the 'boo boys' wern't either!

This is obviously not what I want to hear from Melbourne. If the manager is behaving in this manner, it needs to stop. I still believe the fans can do a lot more. If the team is not responding when encouraged by fans, as I am told happened on Saturday, I don't think the encouragement turning to abuse can possibly help.

The abuse certainly won't help. Mind you, if they can ignore the encouragement, it'd be nice to believe they could ignore the abuse.

I think youll find its over to the players, who at the minute cant be arsed, the fans respond to the players as much as the players respond to the fans. If the players cant be bothered and dont show any signs of wanting to win then the fans are going to get on their back and not support them.

I think youll find its over to the players, who at the minute cant be arsed, the fans respond to the players as much as the players respond to the fans. If the players cant be bothered and dont show any signs of wanting to win then the fans are going to get on their back and not support them.

Considering stuff just coming to light re the dogs night, I think you might be right. Could be they couldn't give a stuff on Saturday after a disasterous week off the pitch. Oh dear what now!!!! :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

As home performances have continually stuttered the fans have got more on edge and have been quicker to go from cheers to boos and shouts of frustration.

But it would be wrong to blame the fans for poor home form - the fans are only the catalyst... if the players give them something to cheer about they'll get behind the team and give them encouragement, which can help develop a good start into a great performance. But it's difficult if not impossible for the fans to turn a bad performance into a good one.

Normally I would be with you on this. I don't like people getting on the players backs. I have been known to get into a fair few arguments over it. But Saturday was dross. They deserved the grief they got.

But no, it's not the fans fault, and it's not entirely Sheridan's fault. I believe it is the whole clubs fault. All of them. Players and back room staff and management. No single one person is to blame in my opinion.

Away they have a great, vocal, positive body of true support, which helps them to lift their game. As a result they play better away and mostly get results.

At home, unless we are playing a big team, the place sounds like a graveyard and the only sound is coming from the negative element in the crowd and the away fans!

How do we expect them to perform if we are not helping to motivate them? The fans need to get behind them and turn up, home and away, regardless of if they are playing Leeds or Cheltenham.

Some people are blaming Shez for not motivating the players, but I don't buy that. How come he can motivate them when they play away but not at home? How come he can motivate them when we play bigger teams at home?

The difference is away the "boo boys" stay away so don't have the negative impact they do at home and when we play the likes of Leeds at home, the part time fans turn up, creating a better atmosphere.

Our attendances are a joke. I know it is expensive, but other clubs charging the same are getting better and bigger support. If the fans are going to continue to stay away or attend home games just to moan and destroy any confidence the players have left, then the town does not deserve a championship team.

So, prove me wrong, Oldham, get behind the lads for the last few games, make some noise, create a better atmosphere and I am sure it will make a huge difference out there on the pitch. They can and will do it, but it's all up to us, the fans!

I'm in Australia, so I can't help out but when I was still in the U.K. I never yelled abuse at my own team, because it achieves nothing. :(:(

Rant over, I am now going to find my tin hat and get ready for the fall out!

Spot on! The only player the fans gave encouragement to on Saturday was Scott Vernon!