One possible way forward

I was a Sheridan inner, I usually am with most managers. I'm all for giving people time. But there's a new feeling coming across from a lot of people that wasn't around during previous manager witch hunts.... The apathy for all things latics. People just don't seem to care any more and die hard fans are simply fed up and ready to give up.

The only answer I can see is to get a new manager in and a new philosophy for the club. That is to develop our one main asset - TP and the youth set up. Become a club who focus solely on blooding youngsters and scouring non-league football for unearthed talent. Much like Crewe in a way.

We probably wouldn't be chasing promotion straight away and I'm not sure who the right manager would be for that set up but the fans need a team they can get behind - local youngsters and players from non-league living the dream and giving their all every game rather than investing large sums of money on journeymen pros who don't inspire the fans to get behind the team.

I think it's inevitable, on falling crowds, that this is the way to build the club back up again. Build a new belief in the football club. Attract a new set of supporters and retain the few that remain.

Probably more developing the youth than relying on non-league.

We will probably lose wages like Gregan, Crossley and Liddell in the summer, and financial sense means not replacing them with similar.

So who has the ability to deliver results on the pitch with youngsters?

It keeps coming back to Gannon.

Edited by opinions4u

I think it's inevitable, on falling crowds, that this is the way to build the club back up again. Build a new belief in the football club. Attract a new set of supporters and retain the few that remain.

Probably more developing the youth than relying on non-league.

We will probably lose wages like Gregan, Crossley and Liddell in the summer, and financial sense means not replacing them with similar.

So who has the ability to deliver results on the pitch with youngsters?

It keeps coming back to Gannon.

I agree with your Gannon comment and welcome it (if it happens).

But would add other players to your list of departees.

The obvious ones being Hughes, Eardley and Taylor.

Stam because he is out of contract.

I can also see the likes of Lee and Stephens considering their future after a season of re-arranging cones at Chapel Rd.

I can also see the likes of Lee and Stephens considering their future after a season of re-arranging cones at Chapel Rd.

We'll agree on that lot then!!

(although I don't think the likes of Eardley, Taylor and even Hughes are big wage players).

Edited by opinions4u

I was a Sheridan inner, I usually am with most managers. I'm all for giving people time. But there's a new feeling coming across from a lot of people that wasn't around during previous manager witch hunts.... The apathy for all things latics. People just don't seem to care any more and die hard fans are simply fed up and ready to give up.

The only answer I can see is to get a new manager in and a new philosophy for the club. That is to develop our one main asset - TP and the youth set up. Become a club who focus solely on blooding youngsters and scouring non-league football for unearthed talent. Much like Crewe in a way.

We probably wouldn't be chasing promotion straight away and I'm not sure who the right manager would be for that set up but the fans need a team they can get behind - local youngsters and players from non-league living the dream and giving their all every game rather than investing large sums of money on journeymen pros who don't inspire the fans to get behind the team.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I think the sense of apathy for all things latics is much much deeper this time round, and I would agree with your answer to an extent. Develop the clubs youth players and blood the youngsters. Like you said we wont be gunning for promotion straight away, chances are we may be fighting at the other end of the table for a while, but we cant keep spending beyond our means season after season.

Not only that, if we become well known for blooding youngsters, then this may make Oldham Athletic a much more attractive option to some prospective footballers, on the basis that they are going to have a bloody good chance of getting through to the first team.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I think the sense of apathy for all things latics is much much deeper this time round, and I would agree with your answer to an extent. Develop the clubs youth players and blood the youngsters. Like you said we wont be gunning for promotion straight away, chances are we may be fighting at the other end of the table for a while, but we cant keep spending beyond our means season after season.

Not only that, if we become well known for blooding youngsters, then this may make Oldham Athletic a much more attractive option to some prospective footballers, on the basis that they are going to have a bloody good chance of getting through to the first team.

These posts scream JIM GANNON who has to be 1st choice when Shez leaves.

I would try and get him in for our final 9 games to give us a fighting chance of getting us in the play offs this year.

Stated this before I'd prefer another manager/coach to come in for the 1st team and move Sheridan back with the Stiffs/youth along side TP. It's a shame Sheridan is now getting so much stick (rightly mind) cos there is a place within this club for him and the club would remain richer for it. Doubt Sherdans ego could take that thou.

Maybe not

I would like to think that one or two people who were guaranteed a place/contract under shez will have an almighty shock if Gannon comes in.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to see Kieron Lee thrown straight into the starting lineup

Maybe not

I would like to think that one or two people who were guaranteed a place/contract under shez will have an almighty shock if Gannon comes in.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to see Kieron Lee thrown straight into the starting lineup

GMR yesterday reported that Vincent was replaced by Oli Johnson at half time. What was Gannon thinking? You can't just replace a midfielder with a striker halfway through a game.

Gannon out.

GMR yesterday reported that Vincent was replaced by Oli Johnson at half time. What was Gannon thinking? You can't just replace a midfielder with a striker halfway through a game.

Gannon out.

One thing I have noticed from the handful of Stockport games I've seen under Gannon is an ability to change the play.

4-2-3-1 is preferred. But quickly reverts to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2.

Doesn't always work, but it does make you think he's trying something.

However bewildering that may be!!

One thing I have noticed from the handful of Stockport games I've seen under Gannon is an ability to change the play.

4-2-3-1 is preferred. But quickly reverts to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2.

Doesn't always work, but it does make you think he's trying something.

However bewildering that may be!!

not totally convinced by Gannon - Stockport seem to be a bit lightweight and there are questions about his ability with senior players, guess that he's being touted because of the Brighton thing. He also replaced a midfielder yesterday with a defender but don't know where that player sat in the formation.

As a Chairman of a local Amateur sports Club who have a terrific Youth set up .I totally agree with your logic,BUT, will people pay £20.00 a game to watch Youth Football?

Its hard enough getting them to pay that sort of money to watch "Third Division" Football.

My other worry is that the Big Guns will poach our talent (Think David Brown and more obviously Micah Richards) with little compensation.

Why is everyone going on about Gannon. Why would he leave Stockport to come to us?

He's likely to leave Stockport as they are ready for going into administration. I suppose we'd be relying on him not getting any better offers elsewhere, yet judging by the clamour for him on this board he will probably be going to Real Madrid.

Why is everyone going on about Gannon. Why would he leave Stockport to come to us?

TTA.

Owners who have shown that they are prepared to back their manager with hard cash.

County don't.

Gannon may feel now is the time to step up a league (Blackpool?), but I think he'd get a hell of a lot of job satisfaction from sneaking Latics in to the play-offs this season and on to better things next.

He has said himself that his position is untenable at Edgeley Park. Oldham Athletic would be just the right fit for the man.

He's likely to leave Stockport as they are ready for going into administration. I suppose we'd be relying on him not getting any better offers elsewhere, yet judging by the clamour for him on this board he will probably be going to Real Madrid.

If Shez does go, I think Gannon's the right man for the job.

I would love to think Shez can improve as a manager by staying at BP. But I don't think he would. Tough call for the owners, but I think we need a spring clean in the way the team is managed, and by doing so it will put is in a stronger position.

I have tried to draw out debate on the flaws of Jim Gannon, but haven't seen many clarify why he shouldn't be offered the opportunity should it arise (which it hasn't, as far as we are aware).

I think it's time for change. You would do things differently. Something has to be done this week.

Edited by opinions4u